Computer Help

Resolved Question

Windows Media Center- Internet TV

by mjh04001 / December 14, 2012 10:41 AM PST

Hey Guys,

So im running Windows 7 Prof., and I recently set up windows media center, and noticed that under the TV section, i did not have the internet TV icon. I read a bunch of forums, and most of the suggestions indicated that you simply need to (1) test an internet conection and download any updates under the task section or (2) they don't offer internet tv outside of the U.S.

Well to solve the last problem first, I am a resident of the USA so that is not a problem. As for the first solution, I have tried it many times to no avail. I have tested my internet connection multiple times, and updated any known updates for WMC under the task section, but i never receive the internet TV icon that im looking for. If anyone has a solution id be estatic to hear it. Thanks guys.

mjh04001 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Media Center- Internet TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Media Center- Internet TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by mjh04001

Collapse -
Original Poster
by mjh04001 / December 15, 2012 4:31 AM PST

Yes, by "Internet TV" I mean internet tv as defined by Microsoft and as supported by their WMC. I do not mean hulu, netflix, or any other third party provider of tv or movies.

In addition, Microsoft states that WMC supports internet tv in some regions even if you do not have a tv tuner.
See http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Watch-TV-in-Windows-Media-Center

Im just confused as to why WMC indicates that it has internet tv, if it doesn't provide internet tv.

Collapse -
Thanks
by mjh04001 / December 15, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Original Poster

I appreciate many people looking at this thread as it appears a bunch of people were having the same issue. Ultimately from what itsdigger has provide via. his youtube link, it appears that as of 9/20/12 Microsoft WMC stopped offering the internet TV function. Thanks for the support guys and I appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Good points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Original Poster

But it's a dead product feature where I am. So if you mean exactly that, the one from Microsoft, there is no exact replacement. It's gone (at least here.)

If you can define it to be something along the lines of the addon I noted, then you can get some of the functionality back.

But if you want what Microsoft offered, I'd like to follow your lawsuit or web adventures with Microsoft.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Where did you read this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 1:20 PM PST

The TV in media center for years has mean a TV Tuner card.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Internet TV
by pgc3 / December 14, 2012 9:53 PM PST

As Bob Proffitt stated, you'd need a TV. tuner card, usually PCI but there are external USB input units for the same purpose. Another thing many use is a Roku, you might want to look into that option , assuming you have a wireless network. Media Center won't work for that purpose without the proper hardware.

Collapse -
Answer
by mjh04001 / December 14, 2012 10:31 PM PST

I understand that you need a tv tuner card to get/record live tv from your cable box to WMC, but why would this WMC need a tv tuner card for internet tv?

Collapse -
No internet TV for you. (see Seinfield)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:00 AM PST
In reply to: reply

It appears you are looking for a feature that WMC does not have. And the replies don't seem to dissuade you.

Find an old Windows support person, buy them coffee, tea or beer and have them explain it to you. The answer is still no.
Bob

Collapse -
WMC IS supposed to have internet tv
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 1:37 AM PST

WMC IS supposed to have an internet TV option but it is missing on my computer as well. By the way I do have a TV tuner but it is irrelevant because as previously mentioned we are talking about INTERNET TV not over the air TV. I also live in the US (some people on other forums mentioned that Microsoft didn't provide this feature in other countries)

Collapse -
Here in the USA and the versions I've seen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:45 AM PST

It's not there.

Yes I read you want INTERNET TV but that is not a standard. It's all over the map with hulu.com, amazon's instant video and more.

The TV tuner is a standard they can implement so that's why you see it there.

I guess you need to buy me more coffee.
Bob

Collapse -
If it isn't a standard...
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 1:56 AM PST

If it isn't a standard then why does WMC feature this option so prominently when first starting set up? I already know about hulu etc. I watch TV on the internet all the time, but WMC is promoted as a one stop shop location for watching all of your media in a central location. I also already watch Netflix on Netflix but I still like to access it via WMC. Forget that coffee I think you have had enough.

Collapse -
Too many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 2:03 AM PST

Microsoft flirted with their own internet TV and I see a Tunerless addon below. It only has certain systems available and if you can tell me what Internet TV is and a standard we can find, I'd like to see that.

As it stands Hule, Crackle, and all the rest are fighting to get your eyeballs. And each did it differently.

There is no "Internet TV", that is, unless we accept they are all over the map.

Read that new reply with the howtogeek to add the tunerless plug in.
Bob

Collapse -
WMC IS supposed to have internet tv
by dRowdy1 / March 19, 2013 11:21 PM PDT

As stated above, as of September 2012, WMC discontinued INTERNET TV.

Aren't you glad that they appreciate us so much as to notify us in some way, even if it were to have only come up by a search from someone looking for it (like us). I think it royally "bites the big one" to put it nicely.

Collapse -
Re: TV tuner card
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: reply

You are right you shouldn't need a tuner for internet TV, I don't know why these other people are acting like you are the stupid one. Unfortunately I have no advice for correcting the missing internet TV option since I have the same problem. Good luck.

Collapse -
Not the s word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re: TV tuner card

We are discussing what is supported for "TV". We all admit that the Internet TV is all over the map so can anyone including you tell us what standard there is for that so we can go get some plugin?

There was a Microsoft TV that came and went years ago where they tried to get TV via Internet but that's dead and buried along with Microsoft BOB.
Bob

Collapse -
I checked it out
by itsdigger / December 15, 2012 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Re: TV tuner card

on my computer and WMC specifically states no tuner detected ! ,,, Digger p.s. I'm drinking a cup of coffee

Collapse -
Same here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 1:55 AM PST
In reply to: I checked it out

But as there is no standard for Internet TV my bet is they have to add those plugins and such.

No where has the original poster defined what Internet TV is. Is it Hulu? or something else?
Bob

Collapse -
I dunno
by itsdigger / December 15, 2012 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Same here.

but if that's all that is offered here in the U.S , who wants it anyway?

Collapse -
Orig poster doesn't need to define
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Same here.

Orig poster doesn't need to define because by Internet TV we mean whatever WMC itself refers to when advertising that "Internet TV" is an available feature. For starters the list of channels WMC provides for me to edit includes channels 9000-9006 designated as "internet" channels in addition to my over the air channels (the 1st 2 are supposed to be CBS internet channels , the others have more generic names like movies-internet tv, comedy-internet tv etc) but these channels only appear under settings to edit they aren't listed in the guide nor is the internet tv selection available under tv options (even though the WMC intro indicates this option should be there.)

Collapse -
Then help them by showing them how to fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 2:21 AM PST

I did. But I'd still like to know what they think it is.

Defining what things are is important. I think my old Compaq Luggable PC could be a laptop but that's a matter of definition isn't it?
Bob

Collapse -
as I mentioned...
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 2:28 AM PST

as I mentioned the WMC intro refers to "internet TV" as an available feature, so again by "internet tv" I mean whatever it is that WMC indicates should be available , since I can't access the feature its a little hard to know what they mean isn't it?

Collapse -
And I added about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 2:31 AM PST
In reply to: as I mentioned...

I also wrote about Microsoft's short foray into that area and now that they have retreated that's gone.

So you tell me what you think it is. Microsoft's abandoned system or HULU and such you can get with the addon I noted?

I'd like to help but if it's Microsoft's abandoned system, then you know who to call next.
Bob

Collapse -
watch this short video
by itsdigger / December 15, 2012 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: And I added about
Collapse -
Just like I noted above. Abandoned tech.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: watch this short video

If folk don't want to define this stuff, what can we do?

-> Thanks for the video.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank You
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 2:53 AM PST

Thank You very much itsdigger for a straight answer. Now that I know that MS has changed their mind about offering the feature I can just give up on it. Now Bob, how hard was that ,you are the one demanding people "define" things yet you never indicated what info you were relying on when using the term "abandoned tech" for all we could tell this was just a guess on your part.By the way can you define what you mean by "define" I gave as many details as I had available, again as stated before it was impossible to know what WMC meant by "internet TV" when I had no way to access the feature (catch 22).

Collapse -
your welcome
by itsdigger / December 15, 2012 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

Google is also a great tool. In Bob's defense I have to say he's answering hundreds or more questions a day while I'm just sitting around surfin' the net. Why couldn't you have Googled it yourself? .....Digger

Collapse -
Why I asked is because.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

There are addons you can try but would they fit what you want?

I can't tell if you don't tell me. Thanks to itsdigger for the video and Microsoft's exit.

If you tell me more maybe I can find a way to add it in but this many posts and I didn't get an answer.
Bob

Collapse -
Googling was the 1st thing I did
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: watch this short video

I did google the original problem w/ multiple varying search terms (that's how I found this forum) none of the results indicated that the feature is no longer available (nothing I found on MS site indicated this either) ,as for adding the search term "abandoned tech" nothing came up in google except for 1 reference to windows 8 (I am using windows 7). But again thank you for actually providing a direct answer.

Collapse -
Have they abandoned system?
by roxyb03 / December 15, 2012 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: And I added about

So are you saying MS has abandoned the system (if so where did you get the info?) or are you just guessing ? Just because some of us are having problems accessing the feature doesn't necessarily mean it isn't available at all ,we may just have a glitch or are overlooking something we need to do to activate it Thank you for ad on link but I am interested in the original feature before I start risking third party options.

Collapse -
Sorry I thought that was clear by now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 4:42 AM PST

Microsoft has a history of abandoning products, product features and in this discussion I thought this was clear by now.

Need another example? OK, read http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-of-course-we-threw-windows-phone-7-buyers-under-the-bus-7000000222/

Here we are with dozens of posts and try as I might to get an idea of what you would consider Internet TV so I could find some replacements it is clear to me that you want the original offering.

Sorry, but I know of no replacement product today. The addon I offered gave back some of it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.