Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows ME on a newer machine

by lostviking2420 / July 11, 2010 12:48 AM PDT

I have a Dell that's about 5 years old. Just for fun I installed ME on it to run older games. The install seemed to take but every time I try to start it the Windows ME screen shows for a moment but won't launsh. I can't get it to start in safe mode either. The machine has a pentuim 3.2GHZ with a GeForce graphic and SoundBlaster audio. I reformatted a spare 160g hdd to use for this. Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows ME on a newer machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows ME on a newer machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It could have too much RAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 8:16 PM PDT

Windows 95,98,ME had issues beyond 512MB and even had issues at 512MB. You didn't tell much but too much RAM is a common failing.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Kees noted the big drive issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2010 9:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Excessive RAM can be controlled in SYSTEM.INI
by otr_man / July 31, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

Windows ME is capable of being stable even if the installed RAM is larger than 1GB, provided that appropriate control entries are made in the [vcache] section of the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.INI

The lines MinFileCache=xxxxxx and MaxFileCache=xxxxxx are needed in that situation, with limiting values proportional to the total amount of RAM on the system.

There is a lot of information about this on-line, as to how to calculate the optimum values to use.

If RAM is less than 512 MB no adjustment should be needed, as WinME is more stable than Win98SE.

Collapse -
Re: 160 GB hard disk
by Kees Bakker / July 18, 2010 8:30 PM PDT

Having such a big (for ME-days) hard disk might be an issue also. Making a smaller partition might help then.

Kees

Collapse -
Har Disk exceeding 137 GB with Windows 9x
by otr_man / July 31, 2010 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 160 GB hard disk

The size of the hard disk is not necessarily important.

If the motherboard's BIOS chip uses 48-bit LBA (i.e. a typical post-2001 WinXP system) then any size of hard disk can be installed. It is only if the BIOS uses 28-bit LBA (i.e. a typical pre-2001 motherboard) that the system will be unable to support a hard disk if it's size exceeds 137 GB.

However, in no case can Windows 9x be installed on a partition that exceeds 126 GB. That is the maximum size of partition which a 32-bit FAT can support, because 32-bit addressing (in reality, it is actually 28-bit addressing in key respects) can only provide cluster addresses up to that size of partition, under the restrictions of the FAT32 system.

Windows ME will fall over if the partition size exceeds 126 GB, or the partition address extends beyond the 137 GB barrier, unless special arrangements exist.

Those limitations can be removed in various ways (e.g. installing a PCI Card disk controller using 48-bit LBA, installing R Loew's patches for VFAT.vxd and ESDI_506.pdr, installing the Intel Application Accelerator if the m/board has an Intel chipset, installing OnTrack's Dynamic Disk Overlay boot loader, etc); but without such special precautions it is fatal to install Win9x onto a 160 GB disk.

See this page for further details, and other solutions -

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/recovery.htm#14a

Collapse -
to much RAM
by dominicskywalker / June 2, 2011 8:25 AM PDT

Windows ME supports up to 1.5 GB of RAM so i would reremending to remove some RAM to met this requirerment
and also only supports single microprossers but can have as many GB in the hard drive.

Collapse -
Back in my day, Windows ME failed to hibernate with only 512
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 2, 2011 8:35 AM PDT
In reply to: to much RAM
Collapse -
Computer
by easeltine / July 11, 2011 2:10 PM PDT

Come on! Put XP on it and stop fooling around, for goodness sakes!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.