Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows mail will not open .doc attachments

by plm524 / April 16, 2008 8:21 PM PDT

I'm using Windows mail with Windows Vista Home Premium on a Compaq Presario. Whenever I try to open an e-mail with a .doc attachment, it automatically takes me to the Windows Works task launcher. Then, a box pops up that says, "Works was unable to open the project you selected. The file may be corrupted." It does not open the attachment. The happens to every e-mail attachment with a .doc file. I've tried to remedy this through the Windows mail tool bar, but to no avail. Anybody deal with this before? Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows mail will not open .doc attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows mail will not open .doc attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What software do you have that opens .DOC files?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

If sounds as if Works can't do this.

Collapse -
Can't open .doc attachments in Windows mail.
by plm524 / April 18, 2008 7:52 AM PDT

I don't know what software that I have which can open .doc attachments. I've got Word '02, Works Suite, Adobe Acrobat. When I try to open the .doc attachment, it doesn't let me choose from a list of programs to open it. It just takes me to Works and doesn't open it. I've gone into to the e-mail tools drop-down/options and unchecked the "don't allow attachments which may contain viruses....etc, but that didn't solve the problem. I even told the sender to resend the document in .pdf format, but he said he couldn't. It's not a life or death thing, but I would sure love to clear up the problem. Thanks for your help. Pete

Collapse -
Word 2002?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2008 1:15 PM PDT

If so, I'd re-associate .DOC files with winword.exe?

Collapse -
Can't open attachments in Windows Mail
by centrafire / July 18, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

I've been running Vista on this computer for four months at home and since January in my office. Within the last month or two I can't open any email attachments such as word,excel or pdf. Works fine on my XP desktop and notebook. Can't find any changed settings or missing file associations. This is a real pain.Victor

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 12:13 PM PDT

What happens when you double clink on a document that's on the desktop?

Collapse -
can't open
by centrafire / July 18, 2008 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: so....

I believe I've tried that as well with no results. I can open emails with links to a pdf file, but not as an attachment. Any suggestions would be helpful. Victor

Collapse -
Then uninstall, reinstall Office.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: can't open

Usually that re-establishes the associations.

Since it doesn't launch from the desktop, your issue is more than what you posted about. PLEASE continue in our Office forum if it's not cured here.

Collapse -
Can't open .doc attachments in Windows mail.

Ok this is easy, I hate MS office myself. But there is a great and 100% free program that is out of this world. Cnet has too!
( OpenOffice1.1.5 ) Wonderful program and works with all MS office text, spread sheets, presentations! Trust me. And it's free of all spy-adware crap! And you get a bonus with it! Yes, if you have the lastest verion of adobe on your PC, Yeah you can write your work in office, then send to be written into a pdf file! You don't have to spend couple $100 dollars for adobe write program. This will import your work right into adobe! I LOVE this program you need it!

Collapse -
When sending email attachment in .doc, Receipant can't open.
by losersweepers2001 / March 14, 2010 11:52 AM PDT

I am using Windows XP. I've never had any problem with anyone opening a .doc attachment when sent in a email I'm sending out....However, in process of sending out multiple of emails (because of a large project underway), there is one (1) man who can't open my attachment of .doc. I've spent hours trying to fix this so that he receives the proper information in the attachment. He says that he uses Windows XP also, but that his computer will not allow him to open anything but Adobe. I'm about to lose my mind over this. Anyone have a suggestion or 'quick cure'? Thanks so much!

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 15, 2010 7:45 AM PDT

the short answer is that it is not your problem.

If everyone else you send documents to can receive them, save them, and open them in Word satisfactorily, then your system and process would seem to be working well. it has to be his system, and therefore his problem.

Some questions;

1] Does he have Microsoft Word installed on his computer?

If not, all else stops there. He needs Microsoft Word, or at the very least, a Microsoft Word "Viewer".

If he is not able to purchase Microsoft Word but needs a word processor, then the free OpenOffice will read Word documents.

2] Assuming he does, can he open other word.doc files in Word? If not, what happens? What happens 'exactly', with error messages?

3] It may be that his email software has the incorrect file association for Word.doc attachments. If so, then what happens if he "Saves the file" from his email to his hard disk, instead of opening the document directly from the email?

4] Has he scanned his system for viruses, worms, trojans, and other malware?

Collapse -
Windows mail will not open .doc attachments under windows 7
by hetiscor / September 5, 2009 7:11 PM PDT

Is there also a solution for the same problem under Windows 7?

Collapse -
Same issue = same problem
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 7:27 PM PDT

Install the software that reads .doc format.

Pick your choice from:
- MS Word (2000, 2002 = XP, 2003, 2007): not free, so you have to buy it
- free download (most likely it's Windows 7 compatible)
- Microsofts Word viewer (2003 or 2007 version): free download, but only for viewing and printing

Collapse -
Thank you but
by hetiscor / September 5, 2009 9:40 PM PDT

I have all the software to open doc en docx files. Alleen Windows Mail cannot open them. Get message There was a problem sending the command to the program. Then Word opens, but without the requested text from the attachment.
I tried already with docfix.exe, but that file is exclusively for Windows Vista. Windows Mail had the same problem under Vista and obviously they did not repair it for Windows 7.
So thank you for your answer, but it does not solve my problem.

Collapse -
Re: open word file
by Kees Bakker / September 5, 2009 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you but

I found a reference to docfix.exe:
It doesn't tell, alas (and neither do you) what versions of Word (2000, 2002, 2003, 2007) are involved.

The problem that Windows Mail can't open .doc files has been solved most efficiently by Microsoft by discontinuing Windows Mail in Windows 7. It's Windows Live Mail now, if you want to keep using a Microsoft product as your mail client. Did you try that already?

But, of course, there are alternatives for Windows Live mail. Did you try those? I'm rather sure that Microsoft will support opening a MS Word attachment in MS Outlook, for example. And then, of course, we have Thunderbird.

Did you try to disable the DDE-way of opening MS Word? That has given some mysterious errors in older versions.

And why not contact the author of docfix.exe (Ramesh Srinivasan)? He might be able to make a Windows Live Mail compatible version before Windows 7 is being released on October 22. If you're using a corporate version of Windows 7 at the moment, that should include support from Microsoft. What do they say about the issue, when asked?

The work-around of course is to save the attachment and open it from Explorer (or whatever it's called in Windows 7). It's not the ideal solution, but it should work, while everybody is busy solving the real issue.

Lots of ways to go.

Collapse -
open .doc attachments.
by hetiscor / September 7, 2009 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: open word file

Thank you Kees, I found that semi-solution myself already. To answer your Questions, I'm using Windows 7(6.1.7600) Ultimate.
Processor Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00 Hz.
Internet Explorer version 8.0.7600.16385 (0)
Windows Mail
Microsoft Word 7 (In office 2007)
Microsoft Word Application 12.0.6504.5000
All up to date.
I don't know if this can help you to find an answer to my problem, But I sincerely hope so, because everytime saving an attachment is a nuisance.

Collapse -
open .doc attachments.
by RubenMak / November 23, 2009 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: open .doc attachments.

I have exactly the same problem but the only difference is that i have Windows Live mail. But i think we are searching for the same solution.
I have tried everything but nothing would help.
Every help is welcome.

Collapse -
How to anyway read the attachments.
by hetiscor / September 7, 2009 6:50 PM PDT

I found a way that allows you to at least read your .doc attachments. In the message rightclick the attachement- Save the attachement to your harddisk- Open saved attachment in Word and you will be able to read it. It's not a solution, but it solves the problem that you can't read the attachments.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.