Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Logo Test for software?

by dcmarter / April 18, 2006 7:44 AM PDT

I just recently bought a printer (Lexmark 3300), one of those all-in-one printers. As I looked on the box and it has the "windows logo". So im thinking it will work. I get home set it up and put the setup disc in to get it goin. Right after it gets started, my computer just shuts off and restarts.

Would the hardware pass and not the software?
Why would they do that knowing that software was to be sent out with the hardware?
And what will I have to do to get a "patch" or update?

I am running on a
Insignia D300a
2.8 Ghz/60 GB Hard drive
512 MB DDr SDRAM
Windows XP SP2

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Logo Test for software?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Logo Test for software?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Logo Test
by Papa Echo / April 18, 2006 10:23 AM PDT

Suggestions:

?Make sure the printer is for your version of Windows.
?Follow installation instructions to the letter.

Share you you actually did. (set it up and put the setup disc in to get it goin. ) seems to be not the correct procedure to install the printer. Installation procedures differ, depending on what port it uses. USB ? Parallel ? Series ? (I am not able to find information on that printer via Google.)

So, what happened after the computer restarted ?

Collapse -
Answers for Papa Echo
by dcmarter / April 18, 2006 1:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Logo Test

?Make sure the printer is for your version of Windows.
- I did this, on the box it has the Windows logo on it. Isn't XP/SP2 the version?
?Follow installation instructions to the letter.
- I have many of times. Well in away, First couple of times I tried it, I put the Setup disc in. Thats when it happend at first. The computer restared and took me to the User LogIn. On the second go around I connected the printer to the computer, it reconized the printer and promted me to put the setup disc in.
It would start and afew minutes later, thats when it shut down on me.

"Share you you actually did. (set it up and put the setup disc in to get it goin. ) seems to be not the correct procedure to install the printer."

Okay, by "set it up", what I mean is that I connected the printer to the computer by USB port. (sorry forgot to put that out there)

So, what happened after the computer restarted ?

After the computer restarts, it acts as if I just turned on or restarted my computer. Then I'm back to were I started by it telling me that I have a new device to be installed.

Collapse -
Windows Logo on box.
by Papa Echo / April 19, 2006 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Answers for Papa Echo

The Windows Logo indicates that the product is made for Windows. You have to look in other parts of the box, or in the manual, or the ''Read Me'' file (e.g.) in the CD for indications as to which versions are intended. Different drivers may be required for Ver 95, 98, 98 SE, Me, 2000, XP, etc. The disc which came with the printer can contain an incompatible version of drivers. If so, you have to download the appropriate ones.

For USB devices, the usual procedure to install is to:
?Do not connect the printer. Put the disc in and run setup to install the driver.
?Reboot.
?Install other programs required to run the device.
?Shutdown
?Connect the printer and switch it on.
?Boot up the computer and let the system detect the printer to install it.
?Some devices may require you to insert the Windows CD during the process.

If you still have problems, try:
?Make sure your computer is clean of viruses and other parasites.
?Clean out the Temp folder.
?In Safe Mode, delete all instances, if any, of the printer (from previous failed installations.)at Device Manager.
?During installation, turn off your anti virus program.

(I am assuming you have a unfaulty printer, good USB cable and contacts, CD-ROM in good working condition and original setup disc.)

Collapse -
Proper printer software set-up
by rbtcnd / May 4, 2006 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Answers for Papa Echo

You are correct on some aspects. Printer setup and connection differs greatly, depending on the hardware itself and it's device drivers. I both have experiences on how to connect HP Printers and Epson printers, take note that these two are using the USB port. For HP printers, connect the device first to the USB Port then install the software when prompted, for Epson Printers however, it's the opposite, install the software(driver and utilities) first before connecting the device to your pc. If you're just an average user and do only basic printing of documents I would recommend not installing all the utilities from the CDROm of your printer, just install the device driver. Most printer applications are large and are not used quite often, so better have the basics only.

Collapse -
Designed for Windows XP
by rbtcnd / April 30, 2006 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Logo Test

The Logo you were refering could be for Windows XP, check your printer's box. If it has a Logo that says "Designed for Windows XP", then make sure that your current OS is Windows XP. Newly bought printer packages always comes with a manual, just follow the instructions on it carefully and make sure that the CDROM that comes with the printer is fine, no scratches, cracks etc. If you accidentlly installed the Software CD and the driver that is not compatible to your OS, then try booting to safe mode, press F8 upon booting up(just keep pressing it) and you will be given the option to boot into safe mode. Wait until you have booted up to windows and from there uninstall the recent software and device driver for your printer. The safe mode boot might look akward and might give you the feeling of using an older version of WIndows, that's because safe mode disables any newly installed devices and those not required for using the basic functions of your computer, even your soundcard might not work. You might also try using system restore if booting to safe mode doesn't give you any desirable results.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.