Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows Live Movie Maker & Free Video Editing Suggestions

by craigtheairplaneman / May 8, 2010 4:46 AM PDT

Hi CNET Folks:

Hope the weekend is going well.

Two questions please. The first regards Windows Live Movie Maker for Windows 7. Why would they remove features from previous versions (when called Windows Movie Maker) such as the ability to take a photo of any part of the video you are editing? Since the program had previously been written why not keep the same options but make it compatible for all operating systems?

The second one please. Any recommendations of free video editing programs for Windows 7 that enable you to take a photo of any parts of the video you are editing?

Thank you as always for your help and enjoy the day,
CF

Second question

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Movie Maker & Free Video Editing Suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Movie Maker & Free Video Editing Suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would they remove features from previous versions
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 8, 2010 11:04 PM PDT

"Why would they remove features from previous versions"

The answers vary from it didn't work in the new version or OS to a license that expired. Many are unaware that Microsoft licenses bits and pieces of apps so when those expire or they can't agree with the author, that vanishes.

You find that editing video ranges from simple snipping the ends off to full blown special effects. To wit I propose that you can't ask for video editing suggestions without a long shopping list and even then no one may want to do your research at that point. I use simple tools like Virtual Dub and about photo's of a frame, that's supported with a tap of the printscreen so that's what I use. And yes I am shortchanging you on why printscreen may not work and how to deal with that.

Reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_editing_software I see you have your research to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the info on th evideo questions

Hi Bob:

Thanks for the information.

May you and family have a superlative day,
CF

Collapse -
You can find video editing software downloads from CNET...
Collapse -
Windows Live Movie Maker, thanks and solution!

Hi Cassandra:

Thanks for the reply.

For anyone that is frustrated to learn the Windows Live Movie Maker took out the options to create a photo of any portion of the video and forward/reverse by frame to better edit, there is a nice solution- AVS Video Editor 4.

Thanks and everyone have a great week,
CF

Collapse -
(NT) Your Welcome, glad you found a solution that works for you!
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 11, 2010 3:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Question
by Dango517 / May 14, 2010 2:18 PM PDT

Does the Vista version work with Windows 7?

The movie maker software was a major lose in Windows 7 along with Windows Mail Sad I'm not sure the addition of the taskbar features were worth those two loses. Seem like a two for one swoop to me with the customer getting shorted. It's simple really, I think most customer would agree, we would expect more, not less, from a new OS.

Collapse -
Vista/Windows 7
by craigtheairplaneman / May 15, 2010 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

Hi Dango 517:

There was some postings on the internet that there would be a way of having Vista versions be compatible with Windows 7 with some downloads but not in all cases.

I hope you are able to find the best options. For basic editing the old Windows Movie Maker did nicely.

Enjoy the weekend,
CF

Collapse -
Pics from Movie maker
by Incognito60 / May 14, 2010 9:48 PM PDT

On my Windows live Movie maker which is windows 7 Pre, I have the play button and frame forward and reverse under the main video window. By pausing the video and then clicking the forward or reverse button the video advances one frame at a time, and the marker in the time line also moves to correspond. The key board keys J for back frame, L for advance frame and K for pause also work.

When I want a photo from the video I first expand the video display size by sliding the line between video and thumbs to the right then going to full screen. I then use the windows quick tool called the Snipping tool and frame any or all of the paused frame. Then save to desktop and bingo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.