Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Windows Live Messenger error 800030d

by firtvid20 / March 14, 2009 10:38 AM PDT

I need this error (800030d) to be fixed. I tried clearing the contacts cache, reinstalling, repairing but nothing seems to work. I can sign in with other accounts but this account doesn't sign in!!! I run Windows Live Messenger 2009 (the latest version), Windows Vista Home Premium. Someone pleease help me!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Messenger error 800030d
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Messenger error 800030d
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only Microsoft could fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2009 10:35 AM PDT

But looking around some claim it's your firewall settings.

Collapse -
It's not a firewall that's blocking MSN
by firtvid20 / March 15, 2009 5:27 PM PDT

It's not a firewall that's blocking MSN. I have cheacked. Do you have any other ideas?

Collapse -
Yes, but you call that place in Redmond to talk about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2009 12:37 PM PDT

Sorry, the only repeatable way to get that error is with the firewall or the router settings.

Just in case -> Look into Client Isolation or Access Point Isolation. It's interesting since that and the owner I fixed this for jumped up and down "it's not the firewall" so I uninstalled the firewall and the error vanished. Why would that fix it?
Bob

Collapse -
It's only my e-mail address
by firtvid20 / April 19, 2009 4:48 PM PDT

It's only my e-mail address that doesn't work. The other e-mail addresses work for some reason.

Collapse -
having the same problem.
by vivz178 / May 9, 2009 4:30 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem as well. i was wondering if you've fixed it yet? if yes, could you please tell me how? thx

Collapse -
I fixed it!
by firtvid20 / May 12, 2009 5:57 PM PDT

I happened to fix it. Just look under on how to fix it.
----------------------------------------
2.b.i. For Windows XP
Right click on the Start button and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options. Click the View tab. In the Advanced settings list, select Show hidden files and folders under Hidden Files and Folders. Click to clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box . Click OK to close the Folder Options window.
Delete the Contacts Cache folder. To do so, right-click Start, and then click Explore to open the Windows Explorer window. In the Windows Explorer window, locate the folders below and delete all the files and folders inside them
C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Windows logon name \Contacts\ Your Messenger e-mail address
C:\Documents and Settings\ Your Windows logon name \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\ Your Messenger email address

Note: Windows Logon name is the logon name that you use to sign in to windows. Your Messenger email address is the address that you use to sign in to Messenger.

2.b.ii. For Windows Vista
Click Start and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer. On the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options. Click the View tab. In the Advanced settings list, select Show hidden files and folders under Hidden Files and Folders. Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.
Delete the Contacts Cache folder. To do so, right-click Start, and then click Explore to open the Windows Explorer window. In the Windows Explorer window, locate the folders below and delete all the files and folders inside them.
C:\Users\ Your Windows logon name \Contacts\ Your Messenger e-mail address
C:\Users\ Your Windows logon name \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\ Your Messenger e-mail address

Note: Windows Logon name is the logon name that you use to sign in to windows. Your Messenger email address is the address that you use to sign in to Messenger.
(Credit: http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!8B3F39C76A8B853F!13937.entry)
----------------------------------------
Now uninstall your current version of Windows Live Messenger (don't update or repair) and download the latest version off the site and install it. It should work now.

It should work now.

Collapse -
Windows Live Messenger
by aguinn27 / April 17, 2012 2:38 PM PDT

I am getting the same error only its not even giving me a code anymore. I have done the same as @firtvid20 repair, uninstall, reinstall over and over again and nothing. Please advise a ETA on this fix, it is becoming a burden because now I am having to use google talk and other programs to communicate with clients and coworkers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.