Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Windows Live Mail Won't Start....

by Skyline770 / May 10, 2009 9:46 AM PDT

Ever since I got Windows Live, Windows Live Mail has caused nothing but problems in Vista. I use Windows Vista Home Basic on my Dell Inspirion 1525 (2 GHz dual-core processors, 2 gigs RAM). Anyways, onto the issue:
Sometimes (randomly) when I load Windows Live Mail, it won't load at all. Sometimes it'll show the signing in window and then load perfectly fine. However, sometimes it does nothing no matter how many times I open the application. When I go into Task Manager and look at my processes, I have Windows Live Mail processes running for as many times as I opened it. Ending the largest process (the WLM process that is using the most memory) kills them all. From there, WLM starts up fine when I open it again. What could be the problem? It's a minor inconvenience, but it's an inconvenience that shouldn't be there.

For a little extra info, this isn't the only program that's done this. NDSTokyoTrim (a Nintendo DS ROM trimmer) does the same thing. I had to downgrade to the UAC-friendly version to use it at all. However, UAC is disabled in Vista. COM Surrogate is added as an exception in Data Execution Prevention as well as it kept crashing when I open my video folders and the thumbnails are processing. It no longer crashes.

Also, my antivirus (avast! Antivirus Home) is fully updated and I have recently done a virus scan, only to show that I'm completely clean.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail Won't Start....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail Won't Start....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having similar issues
by jscott418-216183674731330 / June 1, 2009 7:27 AM PDT

I have the same issue with Windows Live Mail. Sometimes you click to open and the application seems to hang with nothing really happening.
I have done what most have suggested like reinstalling Essentials and repairing the application. But what appears to be happening is that when it was open on a previous occasion it crashed or never closed right. I end up going into Task Manager and stopping the WLmail.exe proccess. Then it does open. I am guessing it is something to do with this application not closing.

Collapse -
Having similar issues
by dmackay07 / May 16, 2011 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Having similar issues

Thanks for your help, I also was having trouble opening my Windows Live Mail. I followed your instructions...went into Task Manager and stopping the WLmail.exe proccess. Then it opened. You were right...it must have something to do with the application not fully closing. This was the first time I've had it happen.

Collapse -
Reinstall?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 14, 2009 11:30 AM PDT

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

Collapse -
Yes
by Skyline770 / June 14, 2009 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall?

I have. Ever since switching to Windows 7, it doesn't happen as much, but it still happens.

Collapse -
Error Message?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 16, 2009 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Are you getting any sort of error report or just a generic "stops running" type situation?

Cheers,

Collapse -
Just a "stops working"
by Skyline770 / June 16, 2009 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message?

I don't get an error message at all. It just refuses to open and doesn't produce a single piece of dialogue. Even Event Viewer doesn't show an error.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / June 17, 2009 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a "stops working"

I'll check up on this.

Collapse -
Same problem Very exasperating
by itzachance / June 17, 2009 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm...

Same problem exactly here! Started about 3 mos. ago.

Collapse -
Vista does it more than 7.
by Skyline770 / June 17, 2009 3:30 PM PDT

As I've said, Windows Vista does it a lot more than Windows 7 does. It's actually an uncommon/rare occurrence in Windows 7.

Collapse -
I have XP
by itzachance / June 18, 2009 12:09 AM PDT

I have Windows XP and it happens to me 3 times a day.

Collapse -
Same problem
by ricksza / June 26, 2009 8:23 AM PDT

I'm also running Vista Home Sometimes when I try to open Windows Live Mail, all I get is the hour glass, then the hour glass disappears. I was restarting windows, then I found that I can open Task Manager and end wlmail.exe*32, then Windows Live Mail will open properly.

Collapse -
Live mail won't load
by spearshaker / July 21, 2009 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

to continue using hotmail with outlook express, MS had me download version of live mail; when it loads, it is fine, but if I come back to computer won't open. running XP. Task manager shows nothing is running. hour glass shows for about 4 seconds, then nothing; no error message.
Note: live mail was not running when I registered for this forum, but came up for the registration process.

Collapse -
windows live mail
by lbibclc / July 26, 2009 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

I was having the same problem with live mail not opening at all. I'd click on it and get the hourglass and then nothing. I went into task manager and ended wlmail.exe*32 and it opens fine. I don't know if it will work when I restart my computer.

Collapse -
spearshaker addendum:
by spearshaker / July 26, 2009 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: windows live mail

ran Restore for a set point before the Live issue began. Can now get to my hotmail accounts on the "old" Live mail I was using. don't know if this is relevant; "old" starts to load as smaller, darker blue rectangle (what comes up on the screen) vs. larger, pale blue for the "new" version. To repeat: using XP with Outlook Express.

Collapse -
ron did you ever followed up on this?
by jlccnet / October 12, 2009 1:06 PM PDT

We still get the error, live mail won't start under Windows 7, reinstalled Live suite several times but to not avail, why is is so difficult to make such a simple program work??

Collapse -
Now it is working without problem
by spearshaker / October 12, 2009 1:19 PM PDT

reminder: I am running XP; had the same issues everyone else did... LiveMail would not come up and not show on task manager. As I noted previously, I did a Restore prior to when I did the required download, was working with the smaller dark blue Live logo coming on. At some point, this switched to the new, larger light blue. It is possible that an update got loaded, but I do not recall specifics about the change. Wish you all luck on this one, since mine is now working without difficulty.

spearshaker

Collapse -
Windows Live mail sometime won't run
by SnyderStan / May 19, 2011 12:48 AM PDT

I just downloaded and installed the above mentioned program. I had been using Windows Mail previously but from my understanding it cannot be used to download email from web-based email programs and i needed to do that because we have switched from a dialup ISP to Verizon Wireless Broadband. However in the process I have noticed that sometime i can't get the program to load unless I reboot. I started looking online and found this site and saw some of the same things i am experiencing. In reading through some of the posts I tried one of the suggestion of going to tak manager and stopping the wlmail.exe file. That seemed to do it and I can start it up again but this is an annoyance. I read through as much as I found on this site and couldn't find an acceptable resolution to this problem. Is there one?
I am operating a Dell Studio 540 with an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 240GHz with 4.00 GB RAM and a 64-bit Operating System, It is running Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2.

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail won't boot
by angler22f / August 9, 2011 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall?

When I try to boot Windows Live Mail I get a popup "Windows Live Mail storage recovery." It says it's "Recovering the Windows Live Mail database." It appears to load something and then disappears. I then get a popup saying "The message store has been corrupted by an application
external to Windows Live Mail." Windows Live Mail has been able to successfully
recover from this corruption (0x00000000)and the Windows Live Mail sign in screen just keeps spinning. I've tried repairing the application and I've deleted and reloaded Windows Live Essentials but nothing changes. I am using XP on a Dell E521 computer.

Collapse -
That's one of the errors I encountered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2011 5:03 AM PDT

I moved to Thunderbird.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows Live is garbage
by Piper_Stock_Hills / August 22, 2011 9:09 PM PDT

I've had Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail 2011 for a month. A couple of days ago it completely stopped working (along with MSN messenger and Mozilla Firefox and God knows how many other programs). It happened sudedenly after I was trying to install a search bar on internet explorer (Very annoying... why would you have to install a basic search bar???) I'm so disgusted with Windows 7. Its slowed up my business needlessly.
When I tried installing the search bar it asked me to edit my registry. I've never had to deal with anything this detailed when installing a small program. At this point I've reviewed the forums. Live mail is not running as a process in task manager and I can't uinstall/repair it. Help...

Collapse -
Confusing post.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 22, 2011 9:23 PM PDT

- Windows Live Mail stopped working. So did Firefox. So the reason for the stopping isn't related to Windows Live Mail, but more general (Firefox is a totally independent program). Why does this make Windows Live (what components of Windows Live do you mean?) garbage?
- What search bar did you try to install? From what source.
- Internet Explorer is not the same as Windows 7. And certainly not the same as Windows Live Mail. So here your subject line certainly doesn't apply.
- Why did you install a search bar? Search is built in into all browsers.
- Why did Windows 7 slow your business?
- I've never seen an install program to ask the user to edit the registry. This certainly sounds suspect. What registry edit was it exactly?
- Why is Live Mail not running?
- What happens if you run it?
- What happens if you try to uninstall it?
- What happens if you try (how?) to repair it?
- Why did you choose Windows Live Mail as your mail program. MS Outlook and Thunderbirds are considered better alternatives.

Kees

Collapse -
Same Problem
by katiebaby1995 / July 17, 2013 3:51 AM PDT

I don't have windows vista i have the windows 7. A while ago i downloaded the windows essentials package for the email and it crashed. i un installed and left it for awhile. now every time i install the thing, when its finished it will not open and says that it had an error and was not installed properly, even though while going through the installation process it installs fine. i would love to have it on my laptop but unfortunately cant make it work and im very frustrated with it.

Collapse -
Look at this post and history. 4 years and counting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

It's a sign and not a good one. Did you try Microsoft's support (well that's a dead end.)

But for now, I continue to move to Thunderbird.
Bob

This thread is more than 1528 days old.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.