Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows Live Mail, Orphaned Accounts

by samonaj / May 14, 2009 4:39 PM PDT

I cannot now open Live Mail, I get the following error messages: Windows Live Mail could not be started, the applicaion was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store. Windows Live Mail was unable to locate it's message database. If you've moved the database files to a new location, click ok to reset the database path to that location, otherwise, click cancel to proceed,any exisiting messages found will be available under Orphaned Accounts. (Ox00000000,2).
Windows Live Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store, your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. (Ox8000FFFF,1400).
I have uninstalled Live Mail and reinstalled it, I keep getting the same error messages, the day before losing Live Mail, I installed Advanced System Care 3 and Smart Defrag programme.
Please can anybody help this Silver Surfer. Thank You.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail, Orphaned Accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail, Orphaned Accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried clicking OK?
by John.Wilkinson / May 15, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

"I installed Advanced System Care 3 and Smart Defrag programme."
-> That is most likely the cause of the problem.

Try clicking OK to reset the database path, as instructed, and then recreate the accounts in WLM if necessary. Any mail stored on the server will still be accessible and automatically re-downloaded. Note, however, that any emails that were stored locally but not on the server may already be permanently lost.

If the problem remains, post back with your operating system so we can provide instructions on repairing the problem manually.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Clicking OK
by samonaj / May 15, 2009 4:17 AM PDT

Hi, Thank you for offering to help, when I click ok, I get the second error message from my initial request for help, ie the one that ends with error message your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full, (Ox80070002).
I am using a Dell Inspiron 1200, with Windows XP, Internet Explorer 8, 59GB of free space.
Hope that is the right information you require.
Thank You
Sam

Collapse -
Correction
by samonaj / May 16, 2009 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Clicking OK

Sorry, I have Internet Explorer 7.

Collapse -
In that case...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Clicking OK

Open the directory %AppData%\Microsoft and delete the folder named Windows Live Mail. That will delete all of the WLM files, including previous emails and settings. (If you have data contained within you'd like to recover later, move/rename that folder instead of deleting it.) Second, uninstall Windows Live Mail, then download and reinstall it. The above directory will be automatically recreated, hopefully enabling you to successfully launch WLM and recreate the account settings you had previously.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
%AppData%Microsoft
by samonaj / May 16, 2009 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: In that case...

I am sure it would help, if I knew how to do it. Sorry, I know very little, I have searched the internet trying to find how to do this, before troubling you again.
Regards
Sam

Collapse -
My apologies...
by John.Wilkinson / May 16, 2009 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: %AppData%Microsoft

%appdata% is a 'relative' location, taking you to whatever directory has been defined as your Application Data folder. If you type %appdata%\Microsoft into the address bar of Explorer, Internet Explorer, or the Run box, you should be taken to the actual location, based on your exact installation's settings, automatically. From there you can delete the folder I mentioned previously.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Still Nothing
by samonaj / May 17, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: My apologies...

Hi John
Sorry, you will be fed up with me, I did as you suggested, Run box, gave me this answer: Windows cannot find C:\Documents.
Internet Explorer gave me this answer: Windows cannot find C:\Documents and settings\User\Application DataMicrosoft.
Hope you can still help.
Regards
Sam

Collapse -
I wonder...
by John.Wilkinson / May 17, 2009 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Still Nothing

Did you include the backslash between %AppData% and Microsoft? Without it, Windows will attempt to combine the result of %appdata% with Microsoft rather than understanding that Microsoft is a subfolder of the %appdata% directory. If it still does not work, try entering the full (default) path: C:\Documents and Settings\<your windows username>\Application Data\Microsoft (replacing <your Windows username>).

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. I enjoy helping others with such issues and have been rumored to be quite stubborn, so as long as you're willing to keep working on it, so am I. Happy

Collapse -
Still Nothing
by samonaj / May 17, 2009 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: I wonder...

Hi John, have tried what you suggested, still cannot find the file, have managed to use system restore in safe mode, however, even though I have restored to before problem, still nothingRegards
Sam

Collapse -
windows live mail database (not found)
by albertico111 / May 25, 2010 8:51 AM PDT

I cannot now open Live Mail, I get the following error messages: Windows Live Mail could not be started, the applicaion was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store. Windows Live Mail was unable to locate it's message database. If you've moved the database files to a new location, click ok to reset the database path to that location, otherwise, click cancel to proceed,any exisiting messages found will be available under Orphaned Accounts. (Ox00000000,2).
Windows Live Mail could not be started. The application was unable to open the Windows Live Mail message store, your computer may be out of memory or your disk is full. (Ox8000FFFF,1400).
I have uninstalled Live Mail and reinstalled it, I keep getting the same message ,I've tried everything in this forum , but nothing works....Any other sugestions please...Im really frustraded with this issue.
Thanks

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail, Orphaned Accounts
by NoelaV / September 24, 2013 3:04 PM PDT

After installing PCHelper360 to fix computer problems with shutting down constantly my windows live mail was empty and I got the same message as samonaj - 5/14/09 11:39 PM however I did click on ok and all my emails that I hadn't opened came back but none of my stored emails that I had dragged into folders in Storage all within WLM. John Wilkinson where you say "Any mail stored on the server will still be accessible and automatically re-downloaded. Note, however, that any emails that were stored locally but not on the server may already be permanently lost." What do you mean by LOCALLY? Is this what I've done by dragging my wanted emails and filing them under the storage? I am trying to find where my Orphaned Accounts are. Any hints?
Noela

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1593 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 4:10 PM PDT

And folk may miss your new plea for help. I suggest you make a new post with the issue you want to discuss.

Collapse -
windows live mail error 0x00000002/0x80070002
by john1871938 / May 27, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

Can not open WLM

Collapse -
No Message
by samonaj / May 30, 2009 1:14 AM PDT

Hi John
Your last reply was blank.
Regards Sam

Collapse -
Idea?? maybe.
by a_major / October 18, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

Guys, try this.(*Right, so where TEST is, is your computer name)

For Vista:

1. In Start, type C:\Users\TEST\appdata (eg C:\Users\LSC_KID\appdata)
2. Go into the LOCAL folder, and then the MICROSOFT folder
3. Delete the WINDOWS LIVE FOLDER. If you can't delete it, make sure Live Mail is closed.

For XP:

1. In Start, type C:\Documents and setting\TEST\appdata (eg C:\Documents and setting\LSC_KID\appdata)
2. Go into the LOCAL folder, and then the MICROSOFT folder
3. Delete the WINDOWS LIVE FOLDER. If you can't delete it, make sure Live Mail is closed.

>>Going straight to your document folder may not show the APPDATA folder, since this is usually hidden for security.

Deleting the folder should force Mail to recreate a new profile folder. Then just add your accounts again.

Hope it works.

Collapse -
Thanks this worked for me.
by Mean1e / September 10, 2010 7:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Idea?? maybe.

Thank you for the advice, after battling for two days this finally worked. Again Thanks

Collapse -
WLM problem
by shania6969 / July 9, 2010 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: See here

Hi Sam, I have exactly the same problem that you do. I managed to delete the WLM Message Store file, but it still did not fix the problem. I had a corrupt file edbtmp.log which seems to be causing the problem. I like you am tearing my hair out with this one. I hope someone has a fix.

Collapse -
WINDOWS 7
by doreenfeb / August 7, 2011 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: WLM problem

Ihave the same problem and do not want to lose all my messages How do I fix THIS tHIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME THREE TIMES NOW.

Collapse -
WLM Problem in Windows 7
by 0007mwfe / November 28, 2012 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: WINDOWS 7

I got the same Problem, Sometimes.
I solved this Problem this way....
Start the Pc. Try to start Up WLM . IF THIS DOESN'T Want to start.... GO TO :
START TAST MANAGER .... Right Click on the toolbar BELOW in a Open place... A menu comes up.
and in there you should see Start TASK Manager. Left Click on it ! A menu Is Opening.
Applications, Processes, services , Performance..Networking and Users.
Go to PROCESSES (LEFT CLICK ON IT ! Theis list is Jumping up and down ...we know...
FIND WLMAIL.EXE *32 ,.... ( I don't think you will find one of 64 )
TRY TO CLICK " RIGHT CLICK " on it end Say in the List END PROCESS .
Look again in the List To find another WLMAIL.EXE , and END THIS PROCESS TOO.
Close the Task Manager.
Go To Your Program Windows Life Mail and try To Start it,...Normaly THIS Should Work.
IF you got the same thing happening, afeter closing Your Computer,.... Repeat the Procedure, and It should work again.
That's working with My PC,... So I just Hope It will work with yours too,
Warm Regards,
Werner

Collapse -
Cannot find Orphaned accounts
by Hercsvw / March 20, 2014 3:21 AM PDT

Dear Sirs,

I am using Windows 7. & Windows Live Mail 2012 Build 16.4.35522.0110.

I am really desperately looking for my Orphaned accounts - it is now the 3rd time that all my e-mails were "lost" and put into Orphaned accounts which I cannot locate. I read through the most recent information here, but to no avail.
Please could you be specific and refer me to where I can look for it as I desperately need letters that I have stored on my e-mail folder.

Looking forward to hearing from you by return of mail.

Best regards,

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.