Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 ? Unable to send or recei

by JohnFlag / March 13, 2010 5:32 AM PST

Beginning Thursday afternoon (March 11), I began receiving the following message:

Unable to send or receive messages for the account. Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later.

Subject ?Message Title?
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80048820

I can log into my account via my web browser (Firefox) and am receiving new messages there. I can log into and as well.
The account name and password is correct in WLM/Tools/Accounts/Properties. I?ve turned off my firewall protection (McAfee Security Center) and email scanning and still get the error. I have Automatic Updates turned on so I assume WLM is up to date.

I followed the instructions in, including reconfiguring my account. After adding a ?new? account, when I attempt to download the folders, I get a slightly different error message with the same error ID (NOTE that the account name is now different ? that is the actual account name):

Unable to send or receive messages for the Msn (ossenfort) account. Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later.
Server Error: 0x80048820
Server: ''

I think the above message is due to WLM trying to use my WL password for "".
I have also tried the proposed solution of emptying my Inbox, Sent, etc. folders, but still get the same problem. I just noticed that the certificate for * in the Firefox Certificate Manager expired on 3/9/2010, but don?t know how to fix that ? maybe that?s the problem.

I am running Win XP Pro SP3; default browser is Firefox; WLM Version 2009, Build 14.0.8089.0726. I have had no problems with Live Mail since I first started using it when the POP3 version came out.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm about to see if I can find another email client that will work with Hotmail/MSN.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 ? Unable to send or recei
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 ? Unable to send or recei
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 ? Update
by JohnFlag / March 13, 2010 7:07 AM PST

Update on the above: I've managed to set up a new account which appears to receive new emails, using the original account (NOT email address) name: (Don't ask me why, but this was the original name for my account). Sending seems to work (sending to myself), but I get an error message - still need to check that out. However, I am unable to see any of the new folders I created on the web when I emptied my inbox. The only folders I see are the default folders (Inbox,Drafts, Junk, Sent, Deleted). Looks like I can move the contents of the new folders all back to Inbox and sync to receive them as new emails, although that will be really tedious! I set up the new account by manually entering the and server info. Whenever I try to use my actual email account address, I end up with an account which wants to download the folders but fails as described in the second error message abpve. I'm still looking for a good solution.

Collapse -
I have Server error:4102/Error ID:0X8DE0001.HELP ME.THANK YU
by GrandMother50 / August 24, 2012 1:26 PM PDT

I am from Greece and I am having a very good samsung pc with all the qualities,but with my Messenger Windows Live Mail its the only big problem.I cant sent or receive any message to my friends.I think its because of the many changes of accounts and adresses from the beginning of my account.So,the Server Error is:4102 and the Error ID:0x8DE0001..Who could you he help me in that?What can I do to solve it?Thank you for your immediate answer.

Collapse -
by S99S / October 6, 2011 7:18 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"><span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Unable to send or receive messages for the Msn (ossenfort) account. Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later.Server Error: 0x80048820Server: ''Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x80048820

This happen to me it also missled my Norton 360 sayng it was out of date and needed up dating
your calender could be set on the wrong ( date) mine was i put it right and fixed it in fact it as happen to me to day for the second time this time it left my Norton 360 alone I for got to put the date back to the correct date after using it Blush

Collapse -
by pronco / October 8, 2011 5:28 PM PDT

I resolved this issue in Windows XP by going to the Advanced tab in IE 8 and resetting all my settings back to default. Apparently Live Mail is integrated with IE's settings and if the settings get changed, Live Mail can generate this error.

Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Reset

-Paul Ronco, Computer Technician

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 Still No Solution
by morlaine / October 27, 2011 1:48 AM PDT

I have been having this problem for months. I've tried every suggestion that I've found on the internet and nothing has fixed the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm willing to try most anything that I haven't already tried.
Here's the info on my system.
Windows 7 Utimate 64-bit, Service Pack 1
Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop
connecting to my hotmail email account
And I occasionally get this error message 0x80048849
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help, Carole

Collapse -
And I occasionally get this error message 0x80048849
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

So it works at other times?

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820
by morlaine / October 27, 2011 2:00 AM PDT

If I'm lucky, I can get a connection once a day and get my mail to download. During that time, sometimes it will send my email responses and sometimes not. I sounds like a connection problem, maybe servers being down, but usually connection problems don't happen day after day after day. And like I said this has been going on for months. When I first switched to Live Mail (to get away from Hotmail Connector) it worked beautifully and I was very happy with it. So I don't know what has changed but now it is a frustrating nightmare.

Collapse -
Server Error: 0x80048820
by alberto393 / November 7, 2011 2:08 PM PST

Windows mail, go to MSN web site then my msn and log into hotmail there are all
your windows live mails.

After that
create an icon in your desktop for this web page.

Now you can access
your mail again by clicking on the icon.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to clean up post so it can be readable on 11/21/2011 at 9:29 AM PT

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail Error 0x80048820 Still No Solution
by morlaine / November 7, 2011 9:51 PM PST

I do know how to access my mail using the MSN site. However, there are many things about using it that are not feasible for me. First, I have an extremely slow and unstable internet connection and it's the only game in town. So I can't change or improve it. Therefore, I need something that allows me access to my emails offline. Years ago, I started using MS Outlook and was very happy with it, never any problems. Then someone for some stupid reason decided that all the MS Outlook users had to be forced to use Outlook Connector. Whoever, wrote that program should lose their job. It is without a doubt the worst performance of any program I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. From day one, there was nothing but problems with it. So after many months of trying to get those problems solved with no acceptable results, someone on the internet suggested that I try Live Mail. Out of desperation I did. And at first I thought it was wonderful. With one minor exception which I can work around, it was as comparable to MS Outlook. Then a couple of months after installing it, I started getting the 0x80048820 errors. At first, it was just occasionally, then it was every day, and now it is sometimes all day and at times more than one day at a time. So the situation seems to be deteriorating. So if anyone knows any other email program that works similar to MS Outlook, please let me know, because Windows Live Mail is quickly becoming useless. And in looking at all the comments on the internet, I am only one of hundreds or thousands who are having this same problem.

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail
by OneLuckyDucky / December 19, 2011 5:06 AM PST

I have been having this problem for almost 2 years. I want a mail program I can access on my computer without having to go to the site!! If anyone knows one that works, please post it so we can ALL change our mail programs.

Collapse -
Date corrected on PC and synced WL account!!!!
by marrianne1974 / January 4, 2012 4:45 PM PST

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">I corrected my date on my PC and synced my windows live account and it worked!!!! Thank you for an instant fix S99S!!!! Great post!!!!

Collapse -
A solution
by AzizIori / October 27, 2012 7:29 PM PDT

It seems that Microsoft Windows Live programs is trying to synchronize using Windows Time service. However this service was disabled as I was facing the same issue. Hence I did the following steps to sort out this issue; you could try this solution below:

1) Go to Run then type "services.msc" then press ENTER
2) Find "Windows Time" service then enable it and make sure the service is set to Startup Type to "automatic"
3) Go to Run then type "cmd" then press ENTER
4) Type the following command-line
w32tm /resync

You will get the result below:
Sending resync command to local computer
The command completed successfully.

5) Close Windows Live Mail then re-open it again, it will take approximately couple of miniutes to download & view all the emails.

Collapse -
Great advice
by dhunter001 / November 7, 2012 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: A solution

Worked for me but remember to run the cmd Window as Administrator.

Collapse -
thanks 4 the solution
by tarantinoon / December 20, 2012 4:36 PM PST
In reply to: A solution

it worked - thank you very much

Collapse -
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800488EB
by Jungfaha / February 18, 2013 2:59 PM PST
In reply to: thanks 4 the solution

Unable to send or receive messages for the Live (Julianberenger) account.

Server Error: 0x800488EB
Server: ''
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800488EB

None of the above works,

Attempts to fix this error.::
I have reinstalled, reset anti virus firewall, restored pc, fallowed help from microsoft help, got a third party error fixer, and syncd the time.

I have a win 7 ultimate 64bits acer aspire 5740G

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.