Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

Question

Windows live mail does not open

by mccdivot / April 30, 2012 7:54 AM PDT

After working for months/years, WLM will no longer open... the icon simply rotates - nothing else happens. I have tried all of the suggestions found online and none have worked i.e. looked for KB2454826, it was never installed, installed latest service pack, everything. I would be willing to uninstall/install again but I do not want to loose my contacts and emails; and not able to save them as I can not open WLM. I can not even stop it from updating from my email provider as I can not open it. Help! Any suggestions welcome.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows live mail does not open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows live mail does not open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the Microsoft forums on this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2012 8:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
wlm does not open
by mccdivot / May 1, 2012 12:50 AM PDT

Thanks but I found that site previously and have tried all of the suggestions. I think I need to uninstall/install wlm however, since I can not open it I am unable to export/save contacts and emails. I need to know how to do this from outside of wlm. I can not find any info regarding how to do this. Any help is appreciated.

Collapse -
Which is why I noted a backup software at next link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: wlm does not open

Try the second link provided?

Collapse -
kls backup
by mccdivot / May 1, 2012 2:20 AM PDT

I am working on KLS backup now... I have done the backup but not sure how confident I will be to actually uninstall wlm and figure out how to reload my backup info. It is scary to think I may loose everything. Thanks for the info. Will advise if - when - succcessful.

Collapse -
wlm will not open
by mccdivot / May 1, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

I have executed a repair on Windows Live Essentials... would that not solve any problems with wlm? Not sure re-installing wlm is now the answer but willing to give it a shot. Since I have the KLS backup, is it easy to reload to a newly installed version of wlm? Been out most of the day and need to leave again. Will try again later. Thanks.

Collapse -
Given the track record of MSFT software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: wlm will not open

No. I would not count on it.

MSFT better make it easy to find and install WLM. Or else they won't be getting many users.
Bob

Collapse -
wlm will not open
by mccdivot / May 1, 2012 8:59 AM PDT

Ok, I give up! I uninstalled/installed Windows Live Essentials and WLM still will not open. Same issue... the icon just keeps rotating. Guess I will have to pay someone to take a look.

Collapse -
I know this is no help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 9:15 AM PDT

But WLM does work for most of us. Now that it doesn't on your machine, we have tried the FIRST STEP but I can't tell much about this machine.

It could be some expired antivirus, some new protection software, malware damage.

But any clues will help here. I need these clues to get going in a new direction.
Bob

Collapse -
wlm will not open
by mccdivot / May 1, 2012 9:39 AM PDT

I just restored my system to before I did the WLE reinstall so I am back to square one. I use AVG antivirus and uninstalled/installed it today. All MS critical updates have been installed. I do not have the graphics issue that I have seen mentioned on some sites. I uninstalled CCCleaner (?) and Malware Bytes (?) which had been installed several weeks ago... wlm worked just fine with them until four days ago. Nothing else has changed. Not sure what else to do at this point but to have a professional look at it. Hate to pay for something that seems so simple but I sure can not figure this one out. Thanks for your help thus far.

Collapse -
I wish it was simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 1, 2012 9:47 AM PDT

It might be but I am not there so you get to tell as much as possible.

One member found a stubborn app to launch if they right clicked and Ran As Administrator the first time!

A long discussion ended when the member took Grif's advice and they found a trojan that AVG, Malwarebytes missed.

Here's Grif's advice. Remember I don't have any other clues to work with yet.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.