Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Windows Live Mail "Delete and block" Feature Seems Broken

by mmm4444bot / November 8, 2009 1:48 AM PST

**** BACKGROUND INFO ****

My e-mail client is Windows Live Mail Version 2009 (Build 14.0.8064.0206).

I've used various versions of this software for several years. I use it only to handle e-mail from four different hotmail.com e-mail accounts.

I have set the following safety options:

(1) Safe List Only

(2) Report junk e-mail to Microsoft and its partners

(3) Bounce the blocked messages back to the sender (when I click the "Delete and block" link on messages)

(4) If the e-mail is a mailing list, unsubscribe me from the mailing list (when I click the "Delete and block" link on messages)

My PC is a TOSHIBA laptop (P100-ST9612) running MS Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3, current with all critical updates. Intel Duo-Core CPU T2600 at 2.16GHz and 3GB RAM recognized out of 4GB RAM installed.

**** MY ISSUE ****

When I click the "Delete and block" link on an e-mail message, no e-mail address is added to the Blocked Senders list.

The Blocked Senders list remains empty.

I've discovered that I can manually add senders' e-mail addresses to the Blocked Senders list using the following menu selections.

Actions > Junk e-mail > Add sender to blocked senders list

**** MY TROUBLESHOOTING SO FAR ****

Security wipe of hard drive, followed by restoring known-good baseline image via Linux boot disk and drive-image software

Updating everything recommended from the Windows Update web site

Reinstalling Windows Live Mail

Creating a new hotmail.com account using a separate computer at work with a different ISP for testing purposes

Sending a test "SPAM" message from the test hotmail account to my e-mail address using the different ISP

Later, opening this test "SPAM" message on my computer using Windows Live Mail

Clicking the "Delete and block" link on the test "SPAM" message

Closing Windows Live Mail and rebooting my computer

Launch Windows Live Mail, and view the Blocked Senders list; the e-mail address from the test hotmail.com account is not listed

It appears to me that clicking the "Delete and block" link on any message from within Windows Live Mail does nothing other than permanently delete the message. I do not know whether or not any messages are bounced back to the sender or if any e-mail addressses are actually reported to Microsoft or its partners.

Unless I manually add an e-mail address to the Blocked Senders list, I continue to receive future messages from the addresses for which I have previously clicked the "Delete and block" link.

Thank you for any time you spend helping me to understand this issue so that I might use the "Delete and block" feature to bounce messages back to the sender while also adding the senders' e-mail address to the Blocked Senders list.

Cheers,

Mark

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Live Mail "Delete and block" Feature Seems Broken
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Live Mail "Delete and block" Feature Seems Broken
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same problem but more
by normwinkel / June 14, 2010 1:08 AM PDT

I have the exact same problem and have had it ever since I started using Windows Live Mail. Mine in addition does not even delete the email. It just closes the email. When I look in the junk mail it still exist.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem. Can you help?
by rookaloo / June 16, 2010 3:16 AM PDT

I'm still using Hotmail. One spammer on my Block Senders list still gets through. How do I get this stopped?

There is no virus or malware on my computer. The Hotmail address sending the spam is hijacked. It used to belong to a friend who no longer uses it. Both of us have blocked it, to no avail.

Collapse -
bouncing back
by emma1937 / April 19, 2013 1:19 AM PDT

I have had the same problem and came to the conclusion, you have to make a message rule first, not just mark it as junk. I have to people I wanted to bounce back and it worked, they were a bit angry with me, that is how I know it works. I made a message rule with their name and address, whatever was needed. Haven't done that in awhile. Then I went to WLM options, safety and then blocked senders. You will see a list of message rules you have made. At the bottom of that page there are 2 options. One is to bounce back, another is to unsubscribe me if it is a newsletter. I don't think bouncing back spammers will work because they use to many different addresses. This option is not something that comes up all the time. Once you make the rule, they are blocked and bounced.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.