Computer Help

General discussion

Windows keeps trying to install a program when I startup

by lgren007 / April 30, 2006 5:21 AM PDT

Whenever I start my computer, Windows installer automatically pops up and tries to install a program called "The Axe Effect". This was a program from a promo CD I got a while back and thought I had installed and then uninstalled.

A message pops up stating that it can't find the installation package, "The Axe Effect.msi" and if I cancel this, it pops up again the next time I start my computer.

Can anyone help me to fix this? Thank you.

-Dan

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows keeps trying to install a program when I startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows keeps trying to install a program when I startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried a registry cleaner
by Ray Harinec / April 30, 2006 6:30 AM PDT

such as easy clean??

Also, check in the virus forum to see if that is a piece of malware.

Collapse -
Thanks, the registry cleaner worked, but i have 1 more qustn
by lgren007 / April 30, 2006 7:48 AM PDT

That's supposed to say question, i ran out of letters.

Anyway, there are some programs (mostly games which my nephew installed) which seem to no longer be on my computer, but still show up on the "Add/Remove Programs" list on Windows. Then when I try to uninstall them, i get an error message that reads "Could not open INSTALL.log file". Any ideas on this problem?

Thanks again,
Dan

Collapse -
Manual removal...

The install log is what tells the program's uninstaller what to remove upon uninstallation...without it, the uninstall will fail. This may be because the file was corrupted or deleted, a previous uninstallation was not completely successful, or the program was removed manually. In any case, I'd use the free program CCleaner (it's under Tools) to delete the entry from the list of installed programs, delete the program manually if it hasn't been already (look in C:\Program Files and delete the program's folder), then run CCleaner to clean up any remnants left behind.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you. It worked perfectly.
by lgren007 / April 30, 2006 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Manual removal...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.