Computer Help forum

General discussion

WINDOWS INSTALLER KEEPS TRYING TO INSTALL PHOTOGALLERY

by Gayle / March 16, 2006 3:21 AM PST

PLEASE HELP!! Windows Installer is trying to install ''PhotoGallery''. This happens in My Pictures folder for the most part. As soon as I open the folder a small grey box shows up and tells me that PhotoGallery is installing and then tells me it cannot be found and to insert CD, I do not have a CD with that name, nor can I find any reference to the program. When I try to delete it gives me an Error message ''1706 No valid source, Installer cannot continue'' I have run all scans spyware, Nortons etc.even ran Registry Mechanic. I have gone into the Directory and still cannot find a file or any reference to this program. The file ext. is ''msi'' and that is all the info I can find for now. There is a little more but I do not want to keep running off at the mouth. If anyone can give some information I would be so grateful, I don't want to do a System Restore unless I really have to.
Thank you..Gayle

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS INSTALLER KEEPS TRYING TO INSTALL PHOTOGALLERY
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS INSTALLER KEEPS TRYING TO INSTALL PHOTOGALLERY
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I would try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2006 3:32 AM PST

Try the MICROSOFT INSTALLER CLEANUP UTILITY (type that in google.com) to clean out pending installs.

Bob

Collapse -
WINDOWS INSTALLER HELP
by Gayle / March 16, 2006 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: What I would try.

To R. Proffitt, I can't thank you enough for the reply and suggestion to my problem. It worked like a charm so far. There in the list was PhotoGallery, removed it and so far so good.

There is so much to learn even after 4 years of working, playing and trying to keep my computer running smoothly. I don't like clutter and sometimes that gets me in trouble.

Thanks again to CNET for providing this forum and to you Mr. Proffitt for the help you have provided.

Gayle

Collapse -
Thanks and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2006 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: WINDOWS INSTALLER HELP

Thanks again for the nice words. Such tips go even further as you pass them along. That tool is useful and even more so when you type them into google.com (or other search engine.)

Best of continued (self-made) luck,

Bob

Collapse -
It worked
by padre44 / March 21, 2006 7:13 AM PST

You're a genius! I've been trying all day to get rid of error messages from MsiInstaller and you're tip helped. Microsoft had nothing anywhere that I could find.

Collapse -
Windows Installer Keeps Trying to Install PhotoGallery
by hrossmeisl / August 29, 2008 2:01 AM PDT

I found your recommended solution to this problem, which is exactly what is happening to me. But when I tried the msicuu2.exe I got the following Windows Script Host error message: "ActiveX component can't create object: WScript.Shell" Code: 800A01AD Source: Microsoft VBSecipt runtime error".

Do you have any suggestions along this line?

Thanks.

Collapse -
New malware damage?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 2:10 AM PDT

The Windows Installer Service might not be running?

Collapse -
Windows Installer Error
by hrossmeisl / August 29, 2008 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: New malware damage?

Thanks for the speedy response. I've tried not to have to ask this question, but I'm stumped! How do I determine if the Windows Installer Service is running?

Collapse -
Try google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2008 3:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Your reply helped me too, thanks.
by Dinosauer / January 23, 2009 12:06 AM PST

windows installer was constantly trying to install photo gallery on my PC also and it was very resistant to my turning it off. The Window Installer clean up utility worked like a charm.

Thanks, John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.