Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Windows IE 7 menu bar disappearing, Please help (thank you)

by DigitalMike / May 28, 2007 6:53 AM PDT

Hello Everyone,
I have IE 7 and the menu bar has disappeared and reappears when I move my cursor up to it. How do I go back to the original setting? I did (not to my knowledge) make this change. I am running Windows XP home SP2 on a P4 3.2GHZ.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows IE 7 menu bar disappearing, Please help (thank you)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows IE 7 menu bar disappearing, Please help (thank you)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just the menu bar?

Technically the Menu Bar is just the toolbar containing File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help. Is that all that's disappearing, or is it the Title Bar, Menu Bar, Address Bar, and all the rest? If it's the latter try pressing F11 to toggle Full Screen Mode on/off. On the other hand, if it's the former, it sounds like IE7 may be corrupted. First, though, try selecting Menu Bar from the Tools menu and see if disabling and then re-enabling it works out the kinks.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Everything disappears, Menu bar, address bar..
by DigitalMike / May 29, 2007 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Just the menu bar?

Hi John,
The menu bar, Google tool bar is gone unless I move the cursor to the top. In addition, I can't see anything on the bottom of my screen, i.e. the windows Start button ect is gone.

Let me know the best way to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Technically the Menu Bar is just the toolbar containing File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help. Is that all that's disappearing, or is it the Title Bar, Menu Bar, Address Bar, and all the rest? If it's the latter try pressing F11 to toggle Full Screen Mode on/off. On the other hand, if it's the former, it sounds like IE7 may be corrupted. First, though, try selecting Menu Bar from the Tools menu and see if disabling and then re-enabling it works out the kinks.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
(NT) What happened when pressing F11?
by John.Wilkinson / May 29, 2007 11:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
Pressing F11... does nothing
by DigitalMike / May 29, 2007 3:57 PM PDT

Hello John and Gang,
When I press F11 it does nothing on the 'offending' system. On my other system, F11 does what is supposed to do (toggle full screen mode). I had this problem in the past on a friends system and since he so thoroughly trashed his OS, I back up the data on USB drive for him and did a re-install. Not an option on this system re: IE being ill behaved. (like killing the patient for a cure:)).

What is the next step?

Thanks!

Mike

I do use FireFox, however I need IE 7 for some of the company I work for web pages don't play well w/ FireFox

Collapse -
(NT) Will IE 6 work for you?,if so go back to IE 6
by tomron / May 29, 2007 9:51 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.