Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Windows "freezes?" after loading screen

by hinataoccu / May 17, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

Hello, and thanks for giving some time to try and help. Yesterday i installed 2 1 gig ram sticks (pc3200) to my existing 2 512mb sticks (pc2700), and everything worked without a hitch. I mention this because it was the only thing i can remember that changed on my computer, hardware/software wise, all day. Late that night i was playing call of duty 4, and my pc froze. Taking this as a sign that it was itme to goto bed, i switched off my pc and did just that. Waking up this morning i switched on my pc everything was fine until it gets to the welcome/login screen. Nothing comes up, its just a pixelated mess (http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8937/img0001ei0rb4.jpg it didn't always look exactly like this, as I've tried to fix the problem the screen looks different.) The mouse cursor appears, turns into an hourglass sometimes, and i can even move it around for a little, but then it totally freezes.

Thinking it was the ram, i took out the two new sticks, but the same thing still happens. The computer boots into safe mode/safe mode with networking just fine, and that what I'm actually using to type this.

After booting into safe mode i have tried running ad-aware, spybot s&d, and avast anti-virus all of which have come up with nothing. I removed the password to my login, and disabled the welcome screen to no prevail. Then set it up to bypass the welcome screen all together which also did nothing (only thing it changed is when i got to the pixelated screen i couldn't move my mouse at all.) I also tried to system restore, but at restart it brings me back to the same pixelated screen, then i have to restart into safe mode where it tells me my computer has been successfully restored.

after fooling around with all different combinations of the 4 sticks of ram this is what ive got: (note- slot is paired with 2 and 3 is paired with 4)
1)gig sticks in slot 1 and 2 - the pc wont boot. gives error beeps
2)gig sticks in slot 1 and 2 and 512 stick in slot 3 - pc boots into safe mode but only reads 2 gigs of total ram
3)512 sticks in 1 and 2 - pc boots into safe mode and reads 1 gig of total ram
4)512 sticks in 3 and 4 - pc boots into safe mode but only reads 512 of ram
5)gig sticks in 1 and 2 and 512 in 3 and 4 - pc boots into safe mode but only shows 2.5 gigs of ram

all this leads me to believe that something is wrong with my slot 3 on my mobo. Could this be my problem? It's just odd that my computer did boot when i first installed the new ram, I don't know if all the slots were working correctly at the time though. Maybe slot 3 never worked.

system info: using windows XP service pack 2, MachSpeed MSNV-939 NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows "freezes?" after loading screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows "freezes?" after loading screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

Another issue like that was solved with installing the latest BIOS.

But share a bit more. What happens if you put the sticks back to before you added more RAM?

Collapse -
by hinataoccu / May 17, 2008 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Try

that would be case 3)512 sticks in 1 and 2 - pc boots into safe mode and reads 1 gig of total ram.
Still if i try and boot normally i get that pixelated screen instead of a login one. Well, i believe it is the log in screen because i can move my mouse and sometimes can get it to turn into the clicker hand. And for more information, the one gig sticks are these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211014

Collapse -
Sounds like onboard video.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: .

Also sounds like something died. Or someone moved a hard disk from one system to another. Something is missing in the "story."

Collapse -
it does seem that way
by hinataoccu / May 17, 2008 1:14 PM PDT

Thats exactly what i am not getting. There is nothing missing from the story, everything happened just as i stated. I can't find any other account of a problem similar to this online. All accounts of people with hang ups on the login in screen can't boot in safe mode, and don't have this weird pixelation issue. The fact that going back to my old ram didn't fix the issue is also odd. I don't know what could have happened.

Collapse -
Then it's something dead or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 1:18 PM PDT
In reply to: it does seem that way

A corrupt OS.

First, save your files or swap in a new drive and set the old one for later.

Next run the program MEMTEST86 (see google on where, how to make the boot CD, etc.)

If it doesn't pass you found it.
Bob

Collapse -
memtest
by hinataoccu / May 17, 2008 4:02 PM PDT

i let memtest86 run for 4 rounds and it found no errors each time

Collapse -
Then try a fresh drive and OS install.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 4:45 PM PDT
In reply to: memtest

Could be a corrupt OS.

Collapse -
PS...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 4:46 PM PDT

As to the RAM recognition, a recent member fixed theirs with a BIOS update but be absolutely sure your board supports your new RAM.

Collapse -
bios
by hinataoccu / May 17, 2008 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: PS...

there are no newer bios for my mobo, and i'm really not gonna risk that. Supporting the new ram isn't even a consideration or me right now because i only have my old ram in, and the problem still occurs. My OS could've corrupted but i have no clue as to how or why. Thanks for all the advice so far though. Wish something would've worked out, just gonna have to work in safe mode for the time being.

Collapse -
An article on troubleshooting this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2008 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: bios
Collapse -
You were in the middle of a game ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 19, 2008 4:40 AM PDT

and your system crashed.

you can boot to Safe Mode.

It is highly likely that the game reset your video settings and Windows can't adjust to whatever they are.

Try resetting the graphics card settings in Safe mode or simply remove it so PnP has to find it on the restart and install the proper drivers and set proper resolution.

Collapse -
Video card was atleast part of the problem
by hinataoccu / May 19, 2008 7:39 AM PDT

So i turned off automatic restart on errors. Then when i booted up windows and got to the "login screen" i let it sit till it froze and then i got a BSOD claiming nv4_disp hit an infinite loop. So then i uninstalled the display drivers, used Driver Sweeper, re-installed the drivers. Now when i get to the "login" screen the pixelation is different, and the computer doesn't freeze up or get the BSOD error. I still cant do anything once i get to that screen. I just move my mouse around till i get tired and restart. Any ideas? Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Same issue here
by preeth_l / January 17, 2009 10:37 AM PST

I found the same problem with my PC. After it boots the resolution is poor. The screen is distorted, however the welcome screen in the safe mode looks clear... I get a message "C:\windows\system32\tools\Delfolders.exe is not found" in the normal mode. Can this be a cause for the pixelated screen. It is only after I got this pop-up, I am facing this issue. I have tried the memtest and other options listed in this thread, but it still persists.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.