Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer wants access to internet.

by Rosalie / December 23, 2003 1:53 PM PST

I have Windows 2000 OS. Just a while ago ZA launched a window saying Windows Explorer wanted access to the internet. This is the third time this has happened, weeks apart, over the past several months.

At the time, at least this time, I only opened a folder I have on the desk top that I open quite often, almost every day.

Why would Windows Explorer ever need access to the internet. And yes, Bob, I have run all the little programs you recommand, virus, adware and trojan, I come up clean. Except maybe for a doublclick or two.

Is there a reason for Windows Explorer to EVER require a connection to the internet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer wants access to internet.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer wants access to internet.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows Explorer wants access to internet.
by Donna Buenaventura / December 23, 2003 4:45 PM PST

Hi Rosalie,

I found this:

This Information Applies to:

All ZoneAlarm Products

Windows Explorer (WE) wants to access the Internet.

Due to the way that Microsoft integrates their software, sometimes other programs can show up as Internet Explorer processes, and vice versa. This is dependent on what OS, software, and browser version you have, and the order in which programs are opened up. A few examples of these include "Windows Explorer" (WE), "Windows Media Player" (WMP), and others.

NOTE - Several recent Trojan Horse programs have installed using the name Explorer, hoping that users would simply grant it access. Be absolutely sure that it is the Windows version, if you are going to allow it access. If you have any doubt at all, you should not allow it access.

Internet Explorer may run in the same process as Windows Explorer by default. For information about this, use the link below, click to search the Knowledgebase, and then search by Article ID, and enter 240928: Microsoft Support

In addition, more recent Windows versions include Universal Plug N Play, which can also cause this. For more information on this check the Microsoft support site: Microsoft Support

Here are a few things that can result in WE asking for access:
When a new browser window is launched
When accessing bookmarks via WE
If Active desktop is in use
When browsing network folders
If WE is configured to view web content
If WE is configured to launch folder windows in a separate process.

Also this:

For me, Windows Explorer only gives me a prompt if I have advanced program control on. From there, ZoneAlarm Pro warns me that explorer is trying to use another program to access the internet. However, as a Win98SE user, I never needed to give it access.

http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=cfg&message.id=7091 posted Dec. 20, 2003

Happy Holidays,

Collapse -
Thanks, Donna, a lot to read and look into.
by Rosalie / December 23, 2003 6:32 PM PST

I never dreamed there would be so many reasons for Windows Explorer to reqest net usage. Now I'm surprised it wasn't asking several times a day. When it attempted to access the internet tonight all I had done was open a folder I have on the desk top. I open that folder almost everyday and WE doesn't seek to access the internet.

Thank you, Donna, for your quick reply.

Collapse -
Re:Thanks, Donna, a lot to read and look into.
by Donna Buenaventura / December 23, 2003 11:46 PM PST

You're welcome Rosalie. Something was maybe triggered when you opened that folder. Not sure what was triggered but it's best to block internet access for WE as what ZA suggested or recommended (if in doubt,block it).

I wonder if you've disabled unnecessary services of your Windows 2000? In case you want to verify which services of Windows 2000 is unnecessary to load, http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm has a guide or offers SAFE setting.

Collapse -
Hey Donna, that's a great site! Half way through and have made a few
by Rosalie / December 24, 2003 4:01 AM PST

changes already. Seem to be rather important ones too. Going to reboot now before I do the rest, if I don't ever come back you will know why. LOL

Many thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows Explorer wants access to internet.
by Dale Johnston / December 24, 2003 3:17 AM PST

I have also seen the WE prompt twwice, with Look'nStop firewall. I blocked it permanently. Like you say, WINDOWS has absolutely no right or need to access the internet. I also use Win98SE.

IF it ever turns out to be a misnomer and was another program accessing, then this will be discovered quickly enough, and at that time remedial steps may be taken. Until and unless that be the case, block, Block, BLOCK!

Collapse -
I've had "Windows Explorer wants access to internet." messages...
by Keith Marcotte / December 24, 2003 5:47 AM PST

when I open IE (not often but it happens). I have IE and Windows Explorer set to "prompt" in ZA. The most likely occurrence is when I save a page as HTML only. The links still point to graphics on the website. Selecting the file for preview will usually cause WE or IE to ask for access to the internet.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.