Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Windows Explorer slow to open

by cdygrubbs / November 6, 2011 12:24 AM PDT

So yesterday I was on my laptop and everything was fine. I went to open a minimized firefox browser and everything got really slow. After I finally got the all of the tabs and the browser closed things were still not right. I restarted. After that I opened firefox and closed it. I reopened and it said it was already running. I waited a few seconds and got the same message. I opened up task manager and it was still running. The computer was still slow so I decided to do a system restore to 11/1. When it restarted after doing the restore I got a black screen with the mouse pointer. The activity light wasn't flashing so I opened up task manager and shut it down. I restarted and it was really slow to start up. Now, everything worked except windows explorer was slow to respond and would take much longer to open than normal. (Libraries button on quick launch). I did a sfc /scannow and found nothing. Next, I backed up and ran avast, superantispyware, and malwarebytes and found nothing all on full scan. When I ran malwarebytes I was in safe mode and windows explorer still didn't come up like it should in safe mode. So I did another system restore to 10/26 and it hung at the black screen again but I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it finally came up (this time with a box saying it was successfully restored). Still have slow start up although that was when system restore had restarted it and also the windows explorer is still slow.

Everything else seems fine. Firefox comes right up. Windows explorer does open, just extremely slow. I'm thinking I just need to double check my backup and do a full system restore back to factory but I really don't want to do all of that. Any ideas? I have no idea why it would just all of a sudden get slow.

cdygrubbs has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer slow to open
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer slow to open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by cdygrubbs

Collapse -
Just wanted to add
by cdygrubbs / November 6, 2011 12:29 AM PDT

that this is Win 7 Home premium on a gateway nv5332u, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd. I've had the computer since 2009 and nothing like this has ever happened.

Collapse -
It's never easy
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 6, 2011 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Just wanted to add

It is never easy to diagnose Windows Explorer slow problems. But here are some pointers.

1] USB drives - If you have an external USB drive, or any USB device other than a mouse, connected and there is some problem with the drive, shut down the computer, disconnect the device, and re-try.

2] Mapped drives - If this computer is part of a home network and one of the drives on the other computer is 'mapped', then Windows may struggle if there is a problem with the other computer or with the network.

3] Corrupt files - If the Windows Desktop has files on it that are corrupt, (eg image files), then Explorer will often crash as it attempts to render the file to display it. In this context Explorer is the Desktop. Explorer combines IE, Windows Explorer and the Desktop. The same will happen with Windows Explorer if it attempts to open any folder that has image or video files that are corrupted.

4] Hard drive - It is possible that this is the first indication of a problem drive. You can carry out a ChkDsk on the drive, but I would, in any case, start preparing for the worse and ensure all your personal files are backed up. Not to be alarmist, but it is always best to be prepared.

Mark

Collapse -
by cdygrubbs / November 10, 2011 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: It's never easy

Thanks for the replies. Tonight I decided to sit down and try to figure this out and I DID!
until something happens again at least. I checked the things you told me to but still couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then, I thought I
would go into the control panel and look at the event logs and see what was going on. Here I
found that Mozy Home backup was giving lots of error messages. I
haven't even used this program in a year so I thought I would uninstall
it. Did that and things started working right again. Windows explorer
started functioning correctly and startup is faster after doing that and
going into msconfig and unchecking a box or two.

So now everything seems to be working right again.

Thanks again for trying to help me.

cdygrubbs

Collapse -
That's brilliant.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2011 7:43 PM PST
In reply to: ...

Great work in finding it, and thanks for letting us know.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.