Windows 7 forum

Windows explorer not responding, disables wireless adapter

by emmy7148 / November 3, 2012 8:52 AM PDT

I will preface all this with I am not particularly knowledgeable regarding computer stuff, but am willing to learn!
OK I've been having a problem, similar to some other posts, where Windows Explorer (not internet explorer) seems to spontaneously stop responding. When it does, I can restart windows explorer and it always says "windows is checking for a solution" but never finds anything. Whenever this happens, which can be as often as every 5 minutes, it inexplicably disables my wireless adapter (belkin wireless g usb) which occasionally decides to not respond and not turn back on.
I have a relatively new dell desktop (bought it last year) with windows 7 (i think...)
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, as I am at the end of my rope and ready to throw the whole darn thing out the window...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows explorer not responding, disables wireless adapter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows explorer not responding, disables wireless adapter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
While we know many reasons for Explorer to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 10:45 AM PDT

Given the story it's tough to repeat the usual. Let's hear more about make, model, story and such.

Collapse -
Information...I hope its relevant
by emmy7148 / November 4, 2012 5:40 AM PST

OK--I have a Dell Inspiron 570 with an AMD Athlon II X4 Processor, 3.10 GHz. It has 6Gigs of installed memory and is working on a 64-bit operating system. This Windows 7 Home premium.

I have not found any rhyme or reason to when/why it farts out. Sometimes its fine, sometimes it won't work for more than 30 seconds at a time. I know it's happening because the internet stops doing anything, but if I check, everything still is reporting back fine. Then about 10 seconds later, the little bars symbol in the bottom right stops being all white and shows all white with a yellow exclamation point. Then, if I click on it to open the connections, it opens and says it is still connected to my network, but there is no network connectivity. At that point, all my other wireless devices are still fine. If I left click on the available connections, it takes a second and then says "windows explorer is not responding." I select restart. It thinks about the problem but can't come up with a solution, so I hit cancel. It restarts explorer. Then the little symbol says "no network connections are available." if i open up network and sharing center and go to change adapter settings, it lists my wireless adapter as "disabled." Sometimes, all i have to do is hit "enable" and it goes. Most of the time, i hit enable and unplug the adapter and replug it, and it's good to go. Sometimes, no matter what I do, it stays disabled.
I have a 25mbps wireless, and it works fine on literally every other wireless device (the apple tv, one toshiba laptop, one apple laptop, an ipad, 2 iphones, a kindle, etc).
I hope this helps you! Like I said, I'm not super computer literate (mostly because usually I make my husband handle it) but I can learn. Let me know what else you need...

Collapse -
Re: explorer and wireless
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 5:43 AM PST

- The first thing to do: try in the Guest account.
- The second thing to do: try in a new Windows account.
What do you find?

Collapse -
Can't find a clear cause. Good story but no glaring clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 5:43 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.