Windows Vista forum

Alert

Windows Explorer has stopped working

by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 3:13 AM PDT

Every time i start up my Computer this error message pops up, and it wont stop. it'll keep repeatedly poping up non stop. and everytime it restarts the bottom bar where the start menu is and other shortcuts or 'pins' are, would change to an old model. This error is preventing me from accessing Computer, Control Panel, and mostly anything in the START menu. And this problem persist even in Safe Mode with Network. I can't even do a sfc/scannow to fix the problem cause it just says that it's unable to do the repair.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer has stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer has stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If even safe mode doesn't work
by Jimmy Greystone / April 1, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

If even safe mode doesn't work, you're either looking at a hardware issue or software corruption so deep that your only real option is to wipe everything clean and reinstall. Since the software reinstall is free, that's where I'd recommend starting. If that doesn't resolve the issue, it'd be time to take the computer to someone to be looked at more thoroughly.

Collapse -
Alright
by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 3:29 AM PDT

But how can i do that?
i don't got any big info or important ones in my pc that i need so i can clean out my pc without a big a issue, all i need to know is how.
and simple steps on to how to do it.

Collapse -
There is a long standing issue with Explorer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 3:20 AM PDT

I've shown this issue on demand over the years and MSFT seems to respond with "don't do that." You can create this issue by copying a corrupt JPEG file to the desktop folder. The user account will do as you noted without fail.

Fix? You have to get into windows with another account (which is why the moderators tell folk to have spare admin accounts) and then you can clean that up. But this is just a demo of this long standing issue. No. MSFT appears to not think it's a big problem.

The other fix? Create a new user account and move to the new account. This is Microsoft's answer on how to repair a corrupt profile.

Could it be malware? Sure but I only have your post to work with. If there was malware, most folk write about scanning with the usual titles.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright
by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 3:35 AM PDT

Well i'm pretty sure it might have something to do with my anti virus software. KASPERSKY ANTI-VIRUS Software. Sense this problem has just started last night and yesterday was the day it has expire and it hasn't began untill i restarted my pc. Before it was just working normally but then ounce i restarted it then it started going that persistently without stop. And by the looks of it, the message pop up when my internet is searchign for connection and ounce connected then the error message pops up. Ounce is say's "Restarting explorer" the bar at the bottom restarts and it just repeats itself.

Collapse -
Did you try another account?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Alright
Collapse -
No
by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 3:46 AM PDT

I don't know how to make another acc and i don't have a spare acc. If it requires that i make another acc in the START menu then i can't use it then. i can't access anything there.

Collapse -
Sadly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: No

This means that the preparation for today was not done. As a seasoned user you could try Control-Alt-Delete to start Task Manager then click on New Task.

To see what other commands we can issue there, I read on google but to get to the add user directly I used this in the new task box.

control userpasswords

It's odd you don't have a spare account.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright
by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Sadly

Alright i added 'control userpasswords' to the new task box, where am i sop-post to go now?

Collapse -
Press enter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2013 3:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Alright

And then add a new user to log into next time?

Collapse -
BTW
by Ozwald606 / April 1, 2013 3:48 AM PDT

i have tried to disable the connect, message keeps popping up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.