Windows Vista forum

General discussion

windows explorer has stopped working

by Baloeb / August 30, 2010 3:14 AM PDT

Yesterday my computer started doing this, and it's pretty annoying. The message windows explorer has stopped working appears. Windows searches for a solution, then windows explorer restarts. Also, when I go to the start menu and click on computer it takes way longer for the icons and everything to load than it used to. Going to my computer is a sure way to get the error to appear as well. I have restarted in safe mode and the problem happens there as well. I have also ran a couple different virus/spyware scans and am fairly sure the computer is clean. Any ideas on how to fix this? I would like to avoid reinstalling windows and starting from scratch. Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows explorer has stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows explorer has stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Common causes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2010 5:39 AM PDT

A couple of common causes.

1] Explorer, (which includes your Desktop, Documents folders, Windows Explorer), is attempting to render either a video thumbnail or an image thumbnail which is corrupted.

If this happens directly at startup, there may be a corrupted video or image file, (the actual file, not a shortcut icon), on your Desktop. If it happens when trying to use Windows Explorer to manage files, make sure the files are listed in Details or List option, and not thumbnails or icons option. WE doesn't try to render files in either Details or List options.

2] A bad or corrupted IE Add-on. Internet Explorer is now closely integrated into Explorer and what affects one can affect the other. Look at IE's Add-ons, (IE > Tools > Manage Add-ons), and star elimination testing. A quicker way is to Reset IE, (Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab, then Reset), but you may lose all favorites, history, cookies, and web site logins if you use that.

Mark

Collapse -
Still happening
by Baloeb / August 30, 2010 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Common causes

I did a reset of IE, but I mostly use chrome now. The way I can always get the problem to happen when I go to computer in the start menu. That screen takes forever to load, then windows explorer quits working.

Collapse -
OK, just as an exercise...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 30, 2010 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Still happening

Since it's the Start Menu that seems to be causing most of the problems, have a go at opening this in Windows Explorer

There are two paths;
C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu, where {username} is the account name you are logged in to, and
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Why two? The first is the Start Menu shortcuts for your account, and the second is the Start Menu shortcuts for all users, (they appear whichever account you are logged into).

The easiest way to do it is to right click the Start Menu, then select "Explore", then right click again and select "Explore All Users". This opens two WE windows so you can display them side by side and explore each.

See if there are any problems as you explore each of the folders.

Mark

Collapse -
It seems like it's just the computer part
by Baloeb / August 31, 2010 2:39 AM PDT

I can go to the start menu fine, and I seem to have no trouble with programs and folders already on my desktop, but when I go to computer that screen and the icons for the different drives take much longer than usual to load. Windows explorer usually quits working before I can even click on a drive and open folders.

Collapse -
Different drives?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 2:55 AM PDT

That could be a big clue.

Tell us more about these different drives, partitions off the C drive, or additional internal hard drives, external USB hard drives, networked drives from a home or office computer network, or 'mapped' drives from a network? or any combination of those.

Mark

Collapse -
drives
by Baloeb / August 31, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Different drives?

There is the C: drive and a D: drive which came with the computer as a boot drive but I now use for storage. I have the DVD E: drive, and there is an icon for an iPhone that appeared when I installed my ipod backup program. These have all been there for a while. Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
the problem is accessing the computer
by Baloeb / August 31, 2010 3:30 AM PDT
In reply to: drives

I think the problem isn't that windows explorer stops working, it's that there is a problem accessing the computer. I just tried to open a file while in a program, and when I clicked on my computer it wouldn't open and froze the program. Any ideas?

Collapse -
iPhone.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 5:33 AM PDT

Disconnect all USB devices, reboot and see how that affects the system.

What is this iPod backup software and why was it installed when you connected the iPhone?

Is this backup software working in the background continuously, scanning drives?

You said you did a couple of anti-virus scans. With what? Try installing and scanning with both Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware, one at a time.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Baloeb / August 31, 2010 6:04 AM PDT
In reply to: iPhone.

Thanks for your help. I went through each item in the computer and the ipod software had quit working correctly. I uninstalled it and cleaned it out of the registry, and it works now. This was driving me crazy! Thanks

Collapse -
Ahh well done.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 7:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Nice work in finding and solving the problem.

Thanks for letting us know.

Mark

Collapse -
i think my problem is the 1st one.!
by piyush280596 / January 29, 2013 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Common causes

"1] Explorer, (which includes your Desktop, Documents folders, Windows Explorer), is attempting to render either a video thumbnail or an image thumbnail which is corrupted.

If this happens directly at startup, there may be a corrupted video or image file, (the actual file, not a shortcut icon), on your Desktop. If it happens when trying to use Windows Explorer to manage files, make sure the files are listed in Details or List option, and not thumbnails or icons option. WE doesn't try to render files in either Details or List options."
i ma not able 2 do this..! before i do it, it crashes..! i tried it 100 times but again when i open it, it is in thumbnails!! pls help ur my last hope..! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.