Windows Vista forum

General discussion

"Windows Explorer has stopped working"

by lunaray1 / August 22, 2008 10:06 AM PDT

Vista Home Premium w/SP1

When I try to delete a contact in Windows Mail I get this error: "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working", then it
tells me that it's searching for a solution and restarts. I've run a
complete virus scan (Kaspersky) and nothing was detected. I don't know when
this problem began so using System Restore won't do me much good. I searched
on the web and it seems that a lot of people have had this problem but I
wasn't able to find a solution.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Windows Explorer has stopped working"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Windows Explorer has stopped working"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks for the excellent help!
by lunaray1 / August 22, 2008 10:27 AM PDT

What kind of detail should I add, I've stated everything I know about the problem and yes, I've posted the same question in 2 or 3 different places hoping to get some help and you are no help at all!

Collapse -
Then I wish you luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2008 10:58 AM PDT

If asking for any other clues gets me that response I fear you would be very upset at any offer of help. Maybe others will help you out if you don't snap at them.

Collapse -
PS. The words....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2008 11:00 AM PDT

You should see these words when posting. "Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem."

Your post included none of these details so you may find it slow going.

Collapse -
Here, does this help?
by lunaray1 / August 22, 2008 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: PS. The words....

I said what my OS is and I don't have a model number, I built it myself and it would be ludicrous to list every component that makes up my computer!

Here, is this what you're talking about, it's all garbage to me, how am I supposed to interpret this crap?

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Application Timestamp: 47918e5d
Fault Module Name: MFC42.DLL
Fault Module Version: 6.6.8063.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a6f4
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00028ce8
OS Version: 6.0.6001.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 644972307

Collapse -
Remember that Explorer HAS ISSUES!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 12:21 AM PDT

Now I agree with the method there but you may have to use another file viewer other than EXPLORER to get this done if Explorer crashes. Explorer is WELL KNOWN (emphasis mine) for crashing on corrupt jpeg and many other files. There is no fix for this from Microsoft today so you must find and delete the file that gives Explorer indigestion.

I use the command line but some are new to using PCs so they should try other file managers like GYULA'S NAVIGATOR. This software found with google (I let you do the work of finding it) doesn't do anything special like Explorer so it's what I use to delete the files that Explorer crashes on.

In closing, consider that no one must help you. You may be upset over the errors and problems that Microsoft created but there are those that will help you out if you are nice enough.
Collapse -
by lunaray1 / August 23, 2008 1:03 AM PDT

Sorry Bob if I appeared snappy and sounded like a jerk, but I've had one problem after another since installing Vista, I never had problems like this with XP and when I did have a problem, solutions were easy to find, not so with Vista! And what really frustrates me is that when I try to get help from MS, I'm told that my copy of Vista is invalid and they won't help me, what the hell, do they think I bought some bootlegged copy off the back of a truck in a dark alley? I paid a horrible price for my copy at "Staple's Office Supply" and they're telling me that it's invalid! Anyway, sorry again, I'm pissed off at MS for selling an inferior product that they won't stand behind and my frustration sometimes shows through!

Collapse -
I'm feeling it too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

No, not your snapping but the Vista issues. While some think there are none I just slammed into another one today. My new laptop is quite nice but I just gaffed and forgot something and it's in it's 2 hour long system recovery. If only I had remembered about what Vista does in it's boot code about hangs and delays!

Ok, back to your issue. Hopefully if you arm yourself with GYULA'S NAVIGATOR you can move the contacts out and see if that clears it up.

Collapse -
by lunaray1 / August 23, 2008 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm feeling it too.

Thanks Bob, GYULA'S NAVIGATOR worked, it allowed me to delete the contact I wanted to delete, but I'm still pissed off at MS, this doesn't fix the problem, it's just a work-around. Now I suppose that I will go back to my IE issues, though I'll probably give up on those and use a browser that works, and IE 7.0 ain't one of them!

Collapse -
BTW. The MFC42.DLL was the reason
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I started noting GYULA'S NAVIGATOR. That helped me reduce the possibilities to the point it looked like the old "Explorer crash on file it can't figure out" problem.

Just so you know, that issue is now over 13 years old. I saw it in Windows 95 but maybe in Windows 3.x. Microsoft seems to think "not my problem."

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.