Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Explorer Context Menus - I can't create a new folder

by zabadoh / December 25, 2009 3:51 AM PST

I can't create new folders from the context(right click) menu in Windows Explorer.

Here's what I get when I right click on the Desktop:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4213997064_77582853a8_o.jpg

As you can see, the word "New" is missing from the menu, even though the placeholder is still there because I can still select it and create new files like bitmap images, etc.

In a possibly related problem, the "Send To" is also blank in my context menu. When I highlight a folder or file in Windows Explorer, the "Send To" option is blank:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2630/4213997200_d1481e529c_o.jpg

I've seen the registry fix usually quoted with a similar problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180257 But that didn't work for me.

Creating a new account didn't resolve the problem either.

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Explorer Context Menus - I can't create a new folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Explorer Context Menus - I can't create a new folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other blockers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2009 4:14 AM PST

Google desktop and other things break this.

Try the other ways to create new directories while you research this one. Again, there must be a dozen causes for this one.

Collapse -
Care to elaborate?
by zabadoh / December 25, 2009 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: Other blockers.

I've never installed Google desktop. I'm stumped. Care to name some of the dozen things so I can start googling?

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2009 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Care to elaborate?

The list is too varied and not handy. I'd have to type it out.

I find HIJACKTHIS to be helpful to see what's been installed and using that list I often spot it.

Good luck in your search and the best thing you can do is remember what updated recently or was installed recently.

-> The real problem to me is that the list of what busts this seems to grow with time.

The good news is that we have other ways to create new folders.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.