Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

windows error message: "Windows is low on memory ,. . . .

by jerryrm / May 3, 2005 12:19 PM PDT

I get the following message only when trying to open MS Publisher:

"Windows is low on memory, or your hard disk is full. Try closing other programs and freeing up some space on your hard disk before starting Publisher."

This message comes even though nothing else is open. All other programs, even large ones, open fine. In fact, with 1 Gig of ram, multiple programs can be open without problem.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Jerry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows error message: "Windows is low on memory ,. . . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows error message: "Windows is low on memory ,. . . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I saw this at Microsoft
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 8:39 PM PDT

"These problems occur when Microsoft Windows is configured to manage virtual memory, which is the default setting. When you attempt to start one of the Office programs, Windows attempts to load the program into RAM. If there is not enough RAM available, Windows attempts to make RAM available by moving code from RAM to the hard disk (virtual memory). In low disk space situations, Windows may not be able to claim enough hard disk space for this operation to be successful. In this case, you may receive the error messages described in this article."

The page is here;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135887/EN-US/

Although you said you have plenty of memory, you didn't mention hard disk space.

Maybe that's the problem?

Mark

Collapse -
Windows err
by jerryrm / May 4, 2005 3:05 AM PDT

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I do have plenty of HD memory (160 GIg, using only 50 GIg). I had used the program many times previously, but now that I'm thinking about it, I switched HD's and used Ghost to copy from the smaller to the larger. This is the first time to use Publisher since then. Could that be part of the problem? If so, what to do? Thanks.

Collapse -
Virtual Memory
by rub / May 4, 2005 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows err

There are 2 problems that contribute to my low mem. I don't clean my temp files often enough and the virtual memory allocation is always too low. When I take care of these, I don't get the error messages. Paint Shop Pro e.g. uses a tremendous amount of memory for all the open windows and partial saves if you just keep opening new files and keep working-saving-working-saving which happens automatically. I suspect that there are quite a few programs that do that. Even IE6 gets up to a few hundred Mbs.

Collapse -
windows error message
by jerryrm / May 4, 2005 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Virtual Memory

I decided to do a "repair install" which comes with the program and that worked! Thanks for helping me process this.

Collapse -
Not sure what we did
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2005 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: windows error message

to help, but I'm glad you got it fixed, Happy

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.