Windows Legacy OS

Question

Windows does not load

by spacesaver63114 / December 10, 2012 4:53 AM PST

Hello, here is the issue I'm trying to tackle

Some time last week, I shut down my computer by holding the power button, don't know why I didn't do a complete shutdown but that's what I did. Next day windows won't load. Here's what I have:

My old roommate & I built this machine from NewEgg components about 5 years ago including ASUS motherboard & Western Digital SATA hard drive, running windows XP.

Here's the work & results since the incident:

Normal startup:
(paraphrasing a little) Windows did not start successfully, choose one of the following options
Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt
Last known good configuration
Start windows normally
All of these options fail and the system restarts

With boot disk:

A:\>echo off
NWCDEX.EXE Version 2.81 CD-ROM file handler.
(copyright information)
Driver not found: 'generic'.
A:\NWEXCD.EXE requires a Driver name wto be specified.
Invalid drive specified
Command or file name not recognized
A:\>

Following a google search for failure to start safe mode I found this file - ubcd411.exe
startup with this file on cd yielded this:
HD System Type-(00)
Missing Operating System_

Asus hard drive boot disk:
Welcome to Asus Motherboard Make disk for DOS menu rev 1.0
1) NVIDIA SATA RAID Driver Page
2) Silicon Image Sil3132 SATA RAID Driver Page
3) FreeDOS command prompt
Please choose 1 ~ 3:

My concept to solving this is get to a system restore point through safe mode. Failing that a re install of windows or last ditch solution reformatting. Getting these done from here is beyond my knowledge level. I am working off a laptop preferably sparingly, with a DVD burner. I hope someone can help, I'll provide any needed info I can. Thank you.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows does not load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows does not load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you save your files first?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Windows does not load

After that I use the old xp reinstall method. Widely discussed so I'll stop here but comment the damage is now sadly common with all those malwares out there.
Bob

Collapse -
files intact
by spacesaver63114 / December 10, 2012 5:46 AM PST

I have my most critical files backed up, if I loose the rest that will have to be an acceptable loss. My technical knowledge is unfortunately stuck on the issue at hand, can you point me to a resource that will help me perform a system restore, or other diagnosis?

Collapse -
Since the boot menu items fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: files intact

I know of no way to recover other than the old XP reinstall method. Here's a good so you can use the one you like.

-> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=xp+reinstall

There are plenty of articles about it and why I don't write at length about it. If there is a step that fails, we discuss that.
Bob

Collapse -
Data Lifeguard tools
by spacesaver63114 / December 11, 2012 12:59 AM PST

Thank you for your attention to my problem. Before I wipe everything clean, I'd like to lay all the cards on the table. This morning I took a fresh look at my boot disk, it's Data Lifeguard tools from Western Digital. This disk says it covers drive installation & diagnostics. Is there a way I can run this diagnostic tool through DOS? Could that even help me at this point?

Collapse -
Sorry but that title is not one I use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Data Lifeguard tools

I see it's a diagnostic and if the maker does not bother to put a document on its use I would not bother trying it.

From the last time I used that (over 2 years ago) it did nothing to help repair a non-boot Windows XP.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.