Computer Help

General discussion

Windows did not start successfully-HELP

by Chloe / July 21, 2007 2:23 AM PDT

When I turn on my computer this morning I got this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

I can not boot in safe mode but can from the last known good configuration. I have an eMachine D5039, XP SP2, 2g memory (I updated to the 2g a month ago) Pentium 4 processor. The only updates was Firefox this past Thursday. I have not had any problems with this machine since I purchased it a year ago. Any ideas or suggestions to this problem?

Chloe

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows did not start successfully-HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows did not start successfully-HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Chloe
by tomron / July 21, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

Google shows many possibilities,http://tinyurl.com/392d9m

Since the only recent change was the FF update,try going back to the previous version as a test.

Did you try system restore?

Tom

Collapse -
Thanks
by Chloe / July 21, 2007 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Chloe

I restored back to Wednesday, boots right up. I don't think FF was the problem, I have noticed that AOL Spyzapper is blocking what is Command Services? What the heck is that?? Anywho, seems to be ok for right now. Thanks for your post.

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / July 21, 2007 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Command services could be a virus or trojan,according to spybot forum it may be a false positive.click HERE

You could try AVG ANTI SPYWARE and also run your AV.

Its best if you run these scans in safe mode.

Tom

Collapse -
Darn Darn
by Chloe / July 21, 2007 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: OK

I just turned on my PC and once again, I have to boot from Last Known Good Configuration....grrrrrrrr

I will run AVG from safemode. BRB

Collapse -
Chloe
by tomron / July 21, 2007 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Darn Darn

If you still have problems,disable system restore>scan in safe mode with avg anti spyware and your anti virus>reboot,scan in norm mode>create new restore point.

Tom

Collapse -
Scanned
by Chloe / July 21, 2007 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Chloe

WELLLL, could not get it to boot in safemode, scanned anyway and quarantined a Trojan and cleaned up some cookies. Problem still exists. I have reason to believe it has something to do with this command services thingy my AOL spyzapper is blocking.

Collapse -
maybe a hardware issue?
by Chloe / July 21, 2007 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Scanned

I took one of the 1g sticks out and it booted just fine, then I stuck back in my old 512mg stick and booting right up. Maybe that stick went bad? I'm surprised that the first stick I pulled out solved the boot problem, time will tell.

Collapse -
(NT) Glad you got it solved,thanx for posting back
by tomron / July 21, 2007 10:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
maybe not a harware issue
by Chloe / July 22, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

I'm at a loss, I checked the memory, down sized the memory, and sometimes I get the apology page and sometimes not. I have run every spyware, anti virus and nothing. Is this a hiccup from Microsoft? And to add insult to injury, It rebooted for no reason! AGGGGGGGGGG Help!

Collapse -
me too!!
by mike2104 / July 22, 2007 10:12 AM PDT

Chloe, I've got the same thing going on. AOL spyzapper says it's blocking "Command Services" - about a dozen times today already! This began last night. Computer will crash out, and only reboot with "last configuration that worked". If I turn it completely off instead of restarting, it seems to boot fine. Pretty soon, though, I'm getting these "blocked" messages and crashes.

Spysweeper has found nothing related to "command services"... wondering if it was an aol issue (I was still using version 8.0), I upgraded to 9. No luck - let me know if you find any clues.

ps. I'm on Sony Vaio, running XP service pack 2

Collapse -
Your not the first
by Chloe / July 22, 2007 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Chloe/Mike

Your not the first one that has said to get rid of AOL and or disable the spyzapper. I fear as soon as I disable it then all heck will break lose. If it is AOL I hope they get it fixed soon, I wont get rid of AOL, I pay for their service I need the dial up in certain area's of the country at times.

I searched the web and not much so far on Command Services, since Mike is experiencing the same problem, I know now it's not a hardware problem maybe more will come available this week. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Command Services Virus
by dusty00007 / July 25, 2007 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Chloe/Mike

I have the same exact thing happening to my computer. AOL spyware keeps blocking something called Command Services and my system shuts down seemingly randomly with the only way to boot back up being the last good configuration. Also notices it has diabled my Norton 360. Cute! Anyone figure anything out on this bug yet? Help! -Jen

Collapse -
Disable Spyzapper as follows ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 24, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

If you don't want SpyZapper to run on your computer, you can easily turn it off by signing-on to AOL and going to AOL Keyword: SpyZapper .

On that page, choose the option, Do not block any programs (do not check my computer), and press the Save button. SpyZapper will stop checking your computer.

NOW you get to take care of cmdservices (generally an indication that you have installed Look2me and that is going to involve making use of HijackThis (available at - Trend Micro ).

This link may prove illuminating (as well as a source for getting your HijackThis log analyzed)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1936

This is where you would post your own log AFTER registering on the site (although the guidance from the thread I linked you to would enable you to do it yourself you may have additional problems that wouldn't get resolved)
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Collapse -
Restarts unexpectantly
by Chloe / July 25, 2007 10:22 AM PDT

I'm happy to hear that I'm not alone. Thanks for th advise, will register there and see what they can do.

Collapse -
AOL Spy Zapper
by rsroofpro / November 17, 2007 12:35 AM PST
In reply to: Restarts unexpectantly

Chloe:

I tried twice to shut off spy zapper following your instructions. However, spy zapper seems to re-set itself because it still comes on. Any other suggestions? Please advise. Thanks!

Collapse -
Command Services help due to AOL Spy Zappper!
by Joel26az / July 25, 2007 11:49 AM PDT

Hey everyone,
I myself have had so much trouble with that AOL Spy Zapper. So I looked online and found a website that I hope is helpful to everyone. It tells you how to find command services on your computer and also a download to detect it. Here it is:
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeCommand_Service.html

Let me know if it helps!
Joel

Collapse -
Command Services Issue
by cobdr / July 28, 2007 4:11 PM PDT

Seems as though this computer is infected. Same issue as listed. Will only boot to "Last Known Good Config." AOL Spyware is blocking Command Services, and I can't get to that section of AOL Spyware to turn off that blocking because the spyware program has an error. Also, Spy Sweeper with Antivirus did not catch this. I think it started today.

Has anyone successfully recovered and how? Sounds as though computer is infected with Look2me and command services?

I am running Gateway computer 506 GR with XP Home.

Also, how does one print the help forum and get it to print on the page?

Collapse -
question about turning off aol spyware
by cobdr / July 28, 2007 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Command Services Issue

Is the AOL spyware actually now blocking command services or is this creating the problem? Is it best to turn off the spyware or just leave it for now?

Collapse -
How to turn off AOL Spyware
by Joel26az / July 28, 2007 4:31 PM PDT

Finally figured out how to get rid of the AOL Spyware program. Just go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add remove programs. Then go to AOL Uninstaller and you'll see the AOL spy program there. Uninstall it.

Collapse -
AOL 9.1 SpyZapper issues.....
by tchaap / November 14, 2007 3:36 AM PST

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think SpyZapper is a waste of resources, as there are so many other programs that do a lot more than it does; especially since it literally tends to take over your system and some programs do not function while it's doing its thing in the background/foreground, or any other ground you wish to share with it. The current Vista release of AOL 9.1 in its Uninstaller does not list the AOL SpyZapper as a separate entity, SOOOOOOO.....we need to discuss a better methodology to getting rid of this pest.

Any success stories out there would be greatly appreciated!

Collapse -
Try something else
by BrianZachary / November 14, 2007 3:43 AM PST

You do realize the last post in this thread was about 4 months ago, don't you?

But to answer your question, there are many other anti-spyware programs out there that don't hog resources or stall other programs. Search Download.com for a list.

Collapse -
Welll.....
by tchaap / November 14, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Try something else

Doesn't matter how old the thread is - the fact remains that this problem is still out there and to no success of getting rid of it properly - and with the latest release of AOL, it's bound to be having additional issues out there. So, thus, why the post....

Thanks for submitting something that was already apparent to most of out there in cyberspace.

Collapse -
I had to do a system recovery
by Chloe / July 28, 2007 11:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Command Services Issue

cobdr, I was at my whits end, I found more and more problems as the days when on, yesterday, I went to back-up my data on CD and found the drivers were missing, what ever I had was eating away at my machine. After many random reboots everytime I opended a program or ran spyware, I gave in. I was lucky it was able to read the disc. Since then, not one problem.

I followed several suggestions for removing cmdservices, and vundo the dang machine kept re-booting I gave up. I hope you have success on cleaning up yours.

Collapse -
Just wondering?
by Chloe / July 29, 2007 9:53 PM PDT

Since I did the system recovery with backup from the disc, will the folder the backup data is in re-infect my machine?

Collapse -
I did the same!
by mike2104 / July 31, 2007 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering?

Chloe.... I actually did the same thing a few days ago. Complete re-install on the drive. Just like you, I figured I was out of other options. It seems to have cleared up my problem.

For those suggesting un-install of AOL's spy-zapper - I did try just shutting down that program. The result was a system crash the next time 'Command Services' hit me - at least the spy-zapper was blocking it, even though the constant notifications were annoying.

Anyway, Chloe - I'm not sure where that virus would be found, or if it might be carried in your back-up folders. I'm now wondering the same thing. Does anyone know where this thing lurks? I'd hate to bring this monster back to life.

Collapse -
windows did not start - help!!!
by notusofu / July 29, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows
Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Seconds until Windows starts: 30

all i get is this... i tried last known good configuration and i get white bar on the bottom and that is it... it will freezz up if i start anything.. I can i format the drive .. i have no windows floppy and i disk drive is new.. and the hard dive is from a dif. comp. I downloaded Ubuntu on the comp im on now.. and put it on a cd.. but have no way to run it..

Collapse -
Try starting your own thread rather than ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 30, 2007 2:02 AM PDT

hijacking this one as it is more likely to be responded to.

When you start your own problem thread there is a paragraph in RED TEXT immediately above the Subject Title line and it is wise to add the info indicated so others don't have to keep asking questions about your system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.