Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Windows Defender not working

by rmblnrd / April 25, 2010 1:42 AM PDT

I have Windows Vista Home Premium "32 bit".

Been having some [popup problems)_. Think I've got that fix. ( I hope)

Now all of a sudden My Windows Defender is turned off. No matter what
I do it will not restart. I went to msn.com, and they had me going around in circles. This seems to be the best place to come to for help. So Help!

My computer is a (HP Pavilion a6230n PC)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Defender not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Defender not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do You Have AVG Installed?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 2:08 AM PDT

I'm really going out on a limb with this guess, but do you by any chance use AVG as your A/V? The reason I ask is because AVG will disable Windows Defender.

See AVG's FAQ #2672: "Windows Defender is automatically turned off during installation"

'Please note that Windows Defender is only disabled and not removed from the computer. This is important to prevent conflicts between AVG and Windows Defender. As they are both security applications, they will try to check files you are working with. Since they will do that at the same time, conflicts may arise. These can cause freezing, crashes or slowdown of computer. It is generally not recommend to use more than one security product on one computer.'

Let us know..

Collapse -
Do You STILL Have Norton 2009 or 2010 Installed?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

I looked through your prior posts, and found at the beginning of the month, you noted you had Norton installed. According to the first thread below, Vista user's with NIS 2009 installed, found it was the reason for Windows Defender shutting off.

IF you still have a Norton product installed. And IF it's NIS 2009 or NIS 2010, read the appropriate thread for the version you have.

From the Norton Community Forum: "NIS 2009 shutting off Windows Defender"

Read the last post in this thread : Norton 2010 & Windows Defender

Let us know which A/V you're using (and which version) and I'm sure we can confirm whether your A/V is the cause of Windows Defender shutting off. Did you try turning Windows Defender's service back on?

Let us know..

Collapse -
Yep, Which Antivirus Do You Already Have Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 12:36 PM PDT

In the meantime, if you're sure you've got a malware infection, please try the steps below:

Download ALL of the tools below on a friend or family member's, CLEAN computer and copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer them to the problem machine.

First, please download and run the following tool to help allow the removal programs below to run. (courtesy of Grinler at BleepingComputer.com)
There are 4 different versions. If one of them won't run then try to run the other one. Be patient.... as a black window should open, then close after finding all the background programs.
Vista and Win7 users need to right click and choose Run as Admin
You only need to get one of them to run, not all of them.

Rkill.exe http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.exe
Rkill.com http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.com
Rkill.scr http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.scr
Rkill.pif http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill.pif

IMMEDIATELY after running the "Rkill" tool above, run/install the Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware installer and update files from the links below which you've also copied to a CD or flash drive, and transfered to the problem machine. Do NOT restart the computer after running Rkill.

Once downloaded and before transferring Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link

Next, install and run a full system scan with the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

Hope this helps.....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.