Computer Help forum

Question

WINDOWS, COUNTERFEIT, PARTITION, DVD, HELP!!!!!!!

by maionaze / June 11, 2013 4:07 PM PDT

My friend bought a Dell StudioOne 19 touchscreen Desktop with Vista in 2009 (a week before all computers went windows 7). About six months pass, when she decided to have someone she knew upgrade the system to Windows 7 Ultimate.
Six months to a year later, a msg from microsoft popped up saying that the operating system she was using was not genuine and then proceeded to give options to fix the problem by buying a valid edition of windows 7. This msg kept popping up and she would angrily click the x in the top right box of the window to close the msg and she was angry because she realized her friend installed a shady program on her computer...
next year, her computer started running slower and system errors needed to be fixed etc. So she decided that she would proceed with the instructions when the counterfeit microsoft window msg popped up again. They told her she needed to obtain a genuine version of Windows for her computer to get updates etc. So she purchased an install disc from the microsoft online conterfeit department. She was given the option to choose between different versions: Basic, Premium, or Ultimate... If she had chose the"Ultimate"Windows 7 all she would of had to do was buy it and change the (product key number?) and it would have been fine because thats the counterfit version she already had on her desktop....Windows 7"ULTIMATE." But to save $ she chose the PREMIUM version so she had to wait for them to send her a install disk so she could setup a "genuine but downgraded" version Windows 7.
So anyways she installed it and she thought, "finally she can have this computer performing as it was when she 1st brought it home??"
WRONG!!!! Apparently it had installed this "premium" version as a "dual-boot" or "dual-partition" start-up.. So the computer started running REALLY slow and she tryed to find out whats wrong and the only thing her or myself noticed was that the D Drive was completely full!!! We tried to defragment but nothing helped so finally we tried to "uninstall" the windows version she just put in but couldnt figure it, we had someone else try to uninstall it with no luck...
And so we are back to the counterfeit "windows ultimate" that barely works and the premium version broken and on another partition!! Now it is slower than ever, the D drive is almost completely filled up, DVD Drive doesnt work right or is maybe uninstalled, cant download very well, tons of errors, and just doesnt run right!!! We just want her computer to run as it once did when she 1st brought it home!! Is there a way we can just reset the computer to factory settings?
Previously, I had bought a windows 7 upgrade for an old laptop that had vista on it and I noticed that the disk she recieved from the "counterfeit division of Microsoft" seemed slightly different from the install disc I had used in the past. I figured it was because it was designed to fix the problem from the counterfeit state it was in.
The computer is a "All-In-One" Dell touchscreen oh and the operating system disk which originally came with it seems to have gotten scratched not sure if it works???
Also I believe this to be important... everything Ive tried to find out about her computer online says it is a 64-bit but "fake the Windows 7 Ultimate" is a 32-bit I know they always give you 2 discs one for 64-bit and one for 32-bit so Im assuming that is pretty important to get that right but like I said... Im not sure?? I saw one website that said her dell model comes in both...
*****I guess the question is.... How does she get rid of the counterfeit partitioned Windows 7 Ultimate(the one that's working) and keep the Windows 7 premium version the (one that she cannot even get into) and how does she reinstall the DVD burner/player on the computer (I don't know hows that got uninstalled)??????????????

Thanks,
Desperate Mayo

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS, COUNTERFEIT, PARTITION, DVD, HELP!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS, COUNTERFEIT, PARTITION, DVD, HELP!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Fresh install
by Willy / June 11, 2013 11:13 PM PDT

That message from MS provided if it was from MS isn't always valid. MS has made mistakes where OEM(Dell and others) type installs are mis-ID'ed as fake. She should have gotten from MS the "genuine pgm. to see if her's was the real thing. Then proceed to act upon the results.

Since, she has from MS already some real OS install disc(Win7), re-install it after wiping clean the HD or reformatting totally the whole HD to remove all past installs. Doing so removes all past glitches, etc., and maybe whatever malware is present. You got too much going on here and correction any other way is going to take more time and/or lead you to do this anyways. Doing a clean slate of thins will allow a better sense that any problems that do arise of part of the install, nit past issues.

After the full formatting and/or HD disc wipe, do the install. Allow it to finish properly and proceed to verify that any drivers, etc. are taken care of. Since this is a Dell PC, visit the support website and using the service tag#, find the correct drivers for Win7 use. You will find Vista too, but it is Win7 you want for the devices that now require it. Hopefully you get all you need, if not post back after you've done what you can. If 100% done, then visit the MS update website and get all those updates, provided you have a working connection to be online, etc.. Allow it to complete and once done, you should have a decent PC. Otherwise, post back with results.

I'm pretty sure Dell had the upgrade of the OS from Vista to Win7 for that model#. It would have been easier to get it from them all the necessary installs, etc., should have been easier. You may want to check on that as another area to review at the Dell support, check ordering *upgrade* OS discs. Of course, you will need a genuine Vista old install. You can see how all this got complicated besides what has transpired.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
hi
by maionaze / June 13, 2013 8:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Fresh install

Ok. so I went on this sight and it said in RED ink that you cannot install windows if your prior windows is not genuine... It turns out I only have an "upgrade" Windows 7 disk... So I still have the counterfeit windows ultimate working and the other windows 7 is somewhere else and doesn't work and I cant even get on it.
All I would like to do now is just change it back to vista... does anyone no how to do that?? I downloaded the partition wizard and it says I have a hidden partition which contains almost everything was put on there from 2009 which would be when it was bought so how can I do this???

Collapse -
Go to Dell.com and see if
by glb613 / June 13, 2013 8:51 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

you can buy a recovery DVD set.

Collapse -
You can try...
by Willy / June 13, 2013 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: hi

Check to see if there is there really is a Vista recovery/restore partition(hidden). Next, goto the Dell support website and using your service tag#(somewhere on your PC) enter that at website. It will then proceed to the proper area of support. There you can check to see what if any "orderable CDs" are available, just check and if you want to order then do so. If not ordering then that hidden partition *if* it is the recovery/restore the support website will explain the details on how to access. Typically that's done at the boot-up period, hit some F-key, maybe F2, F10, you get the idea. if so done and you enter the recovery process, then proceed at your risk. If you can do that, then I would simply delete the Win7 OS entirely. You can reboot and enter the recovery/restore partition and start the process, though it will reformat the old Vista, so save whatever you deem necessary.

If all you want to do is delete the Win7, then check to see if that partition wizard will delete and then return(merge) the now recovered space back to the old OS. You can use possibility Partition Magic, free version and do that as well. The whole point is that saving the old OS or returning to and wiping the new OS and hoping you don't destroy the recovery/restore partition just isn't that easy w/o good s/w. This is why it's so important to have the recovery/restore discs as you can simply wipe clean the whole HD, removing any glitches, past whatever and start the recovery/restore process and return to day-1 when the PC was new.

Now, if I understand you right, you do have genuine Win7 upgrade install disc, correct. If so, all that requires is the presence of other genuine install disc to verify you can upgrade or on HD old install. Once it sees that, it will upgrade that's why it was able to before because it saw an older OS present, even if fake or different version, period.

Another method is you access the hidden partition and it is the Vista recovery/restore OS, you can also "image it" to a disc, provided it fits on a 4.7gb blank. You will need proper DVD burning s/w and image it so it can be saved. Doing so may help later or at least return it after all of the above is done, if it got hosed. It may get hosed because you're probably dealing with Dell OEM type recovery/restore partition.

http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-free-disk-partition-software-for-windows

www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/274570-will-system-image-restore-wipe-my-hidden-oem-partition-help.html

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.