Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows cannot auto detect any devices

by paul Friedman4 / May 14, 2006 12:52 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

The computer I am working with is a Dell P4 desktop with 512 MB RAM, and Windows XP Home with SP2 that was purchased new in August 2005.

The problem is that every time I plug a device into the system (MP4 player, USB printer, flash drive) it is not detected. If I look in Device Manager it shows up as an unknown device. If I then try to manually install the driver, it will install properly.

I then decided to remove all USB Host Controllers, USB Root Hubs etc. After doing this and rebooting, all of these devices were unknown devices as well. Simply telling Windows to update the driver added the devices properly.

Can anyone tell me if you have seen this before and if so, what the solution is?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows cannot auto detect any devices
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows cannot auto detect any devices
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am not sure, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 14, 2006 6:25 AM PDT

I have seen it said that many USB devices need their drivers installed before attaching the device.

Do you have install CD's with these devices? (MP4 player, Flash Drive, USB Printer).

If so, try that, (one CD, one device at a time), and see if Windows remembers when the device is unattached, then re-attached.

Also, it is unwise simply to unattach USB devices. It is recommended that the ''Safely remove hardware'' icon in the System Tray, (where the clock is), is used to tell you when they can be unattached.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Devices not detected.
by Papa Echo / May 14, 2006 9:51 AM PDT
If I look in Device Manager it shows up as an unknown device

Windows did detect the devices - they are just not installed.

For USB devices, the drivers have to be ''in'' before the devices are detected and automatically installed. Some devices, like Flash drives, are automatically installed because they usually use a generic driver contained in Windows.(Plug & Play)

Non USB devices need to be detected by Windows first, then you are asked to install them by installing the drivers, e.g. by inserting the disc, or to choose a driver from Windows itself(Manufacturer, model etc.).
Collapse -
Devices
by Bill Veik / May 15, 2006 3:18 AM PDT

are you turning of the computer and rebooting? I believe most devices suggest or require that you install the software, without the device plugged in, plug in the device afterward. Then if Plug and Play does not automatically come up, restarting the computer will cause the Plug and Play to recognize the new device and activate it during system startup.

Collapse -
Fixed
by paul Friedman4 / May 18, 2006 3:50 AM PDT

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. The problem was that ALL plug and play devices were detected as Other Devices. Turns out the Windows installation was damaged and wiping and reloading Windows fixed the issue.

Regards...Jenn

Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 18, 2006 6:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

although having to re-install Windows is a shame.

But congratulations.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.