Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Can't "see" Jpeg Files on CD

by merkaba369 / October 10, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

Hope Someone can Help with this.

I'm running XP sp2 on a Toshiba Satellite M35X Laptop. I have 2 CD/DVD drives on this unit. An internal drive (Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-8205) and a new external CD/DVD RW drive (TSSTCorp SE-s204n).

Here's what's going on. I was given a CD with lots of JPEG photos on it but neither drive can "see" the files, in fact both drive say the CD is empty (although is does read and display the folder info). What's interesting is both drives can read CDs with Music (mp3), both can play DVD movies, but neither can read any CD with JPEG files. (Yes, this CD can be read on my other computer just fine, so CD is not corrupted). Also, it happens with any CD with JPEGS.

More background: When we got this new external drive it came with some software, Nero Essentials, which I installed with the new drive. I have used nero to burn CDs and DVDs. Nero can not "see" the JPEG files either. Is it possible that Nero disabled the capability to read JPegs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Patricia

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Can't "see" Jpeg Files on CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Can't "see" Jpeg Files on CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: jpeg files
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

Patricia,

What exactly you mean with 'Windows can't "see" the files'. Does Windows Explorer/My Computer only show empty folders? What do the right-click properties of such a folder say about number of files and space occupied?

What exactly is "say that CD is empty" in relation to "show the folder info". After all, an empty CD has no folders at all.

What do you mean with 'Nero can't "see" the files'. I use Nero to burn the disk, not to view it. What are you doing exactly?

Are .jpg files shown on the hard disk?

Now an interesting experiment. Make a folder on your hard disk that contains three files: a .mp3 file, a .jpg file and another file (say a .doc or a .txt). Set the Folder Options (in Control Panel) to NOT hide extensions of known file types, and you'll see those extensions. Then burn that to CD.

According to your subject line, Windows Explorer will only show 2 files on the CD, and supposedly 3 on the hard disk. But I doubt if that comes out true.

Maybe this CD is a socalled Kodak Photo CD. That uses a special format (although it still shouldn't be empty, I think, but I've never seen one). Could it be that your problem is "PC can't see photo's on Kodak Photo CD"?
Just a wild guess, of course.

Post your experiences. They might help to get the problem clearer.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Windows Can't "see" Jpeg Files on CD
by merkaba369 / October 11, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: jpeg files

Kees,
Thank you for your ideas... windows is able to see the folder but not any files in the folder (they are not hidden) - I've just placed a call to the friend who gave me the CD with the photos to find out what software she used to create the disc.

When I said Nero couldn't read the files either, I meant that in attempting to copy disc, it told me there were no files to copy (paraphrasing the message I got)

Since first posting this, I created a CD (on out other laptop) with a variety of photo type files including jpeg (also giff, bmp etc photo files) and found it was able to recognize all those files including the jpeg - so your idea that it might be the program that created the original CD that this system isn't recognizing. It's just strange that our other XP sp2 laptop does recognize all the files. I'm trying to track down why this anomaly on the Toshiba.

Thank you again for your help.
Patricia

Collapse -
Strange indeed.
by Kees Bakker / October 11, 2008 4:35 AM PDT

Best of luck finding it.

Kees

Collapse -
Did you ever solve your problem
by ccook18 / July 20, 2009 10:59 PM PDT

My Toshiba is having a very similar problem.

Collapse -
Hidden JPEGs?
by SuperMA5TER / October 10, 2008 5:35 PM PDT

Have you made sure that those jpeg files are not hidden, or if they are, have you selected Tools>folder Options>View>Show Hidden files and Folders?

I am suggesting this very basic thing because I cannot imagine what else could be causing this. Jpegs are just files like anyother file and there is nothing special or complex about them which may prevent Windows from seeing them. (Apart from the hidden problem ^ of course!)

Collapse -
Same issue - Kodak Photo CD "looks" empty
by Spartanicus / January 30, 2009 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: Hidden JPEGs?

I have the same problem. The Kodak photo CD I have appears to be empty on Windows XP. When I throw it into my Ubuntu machine, I can see the files (though I haven't tried to do anything with them). I'll post a follow up if I find a solution.

Collapse -
Solution found, but one that's unlikely to help most people
by Spartanicus / January 30, 2009 2:13 PM PST

I copied the PhotoCD contents onto my Ubuntu machine and shared the files with WindowsXP using Samba. Now they open happily in Irfanview (though not in Photoshop CS3 - I'll have to convert them).

While this approach is unlikely to help many, it may help some. I'm fairly certain were I to burn a CD or copy the images to a thumb drive from my Ubuntu machine (can't do the latter - no USB on that old machine!) that I'd be able to carry the files to my WinXP box and all would go well.

Go Ubuntu! This is the third time in as many months Ubuntu has helped me regain old files from other systems (it even opened an ancient Macintosh Word doc from 1998).

Collapse -
Good old Irfanview!
by Spartanicus / January 30, 2009 2:29 PM PST

?.good old batch conversion in Irfanview converted the pcd files to jpgs across my samba share in seconds (I didn?t even bother to copy the files pcd files locally). Kudos as always to Irfan Skiljan.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.