Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows can't check for updates

by fireplaceguru / April 30, 2010 11:02 AM PDT

I am using vista home premium sp2 32 bit operating system, I have not been able to install updates since 28/01/10, this is the last day a windows update occurred and there is no way to uninstall. I have tried installing updates without antivirus and firewall programs running with no success.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows can't check for updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows can't check for updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What does
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 30, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

your Windows Update utility in the Control Panel say? Mine says at the moment, "No important updates available".

In that window, what happens if you click the "Check for updates" in the left hand side-bar? What messages do you see?

Mark

Collapse -
Windows Update Troubleshooter
by CassandraF_WinTeam / May 3, 2010 3:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
It would help if...
by Papa Echo / May 4, 2010 9:49 AM PDT

... you provide more information like what happened when you ran Windows update... what error messages appeared, etc. rather than just "... I have not been able to install updates since ..."

Collapse -
Windows cant check for updates
by fireplaceguru / May 5, 2010 12:24 AM PDT
In reply to: It would help if...

Windows could nbot search for new updates
An error occurred while checking
for new updates for your computer

Error(s) found:
Code 80072EFD Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Collapse -
The error number is thankfully discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2010 12:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows can't check for updates (vista)
by jasehunt / August 9, 2012 10:06 PM PDT

I had this problem for a month, a balloon from the update icon would come up with the message but no error code. When I tried to update it would look like it was doing something but then never work. I tried a few fixes I found but there was very little information especially as there was no error code.

I thought about how I could uninstall and reinstall windows update and realised the only way to do that was to via the latest service pack which is sp2.

In Windows update there is the facility to view and remove INSTALLED UPDATES. Look for the most recent service pack. (it will just say Service Pack) under the Microsoft Windows heading. (Don't get confused with other service packs eg for microsoft office). Uninstall the service pack, reboot and then Windows will start updating again and then reinstall SP2 itself. Problem solved!!

I actually also removed my Virus protection before I reinstalled and then put it back on after. I don't think it was crucial but it didn't do any harm

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.