PC Hardware

Question

Windows can not access the external Hard drive

by rt_123 / July 15, 2013 3:21 AM PDT

I have 1 Tb seagate hard disk which was working fine but now when i connect it to my laptop running with windows7,
windows detects the Hard disk and Icon of the disk displays at my computer. But when I double click it to open it shows an error message box " Location is not available f:/ is not accessible Access denied".
And when I see properties by right clicking it is shows
Used Space 0 bytes
Free Space 0 bytes
Capacity 0 Bytes

Also tried to check it for errors from tools It shows error message "The disk check could not be performed because windows can not access the disk"

And also i have to tried to access it from command prompt (Run as administrator) using command f:
It shows "Access denied"

When I try to change access permission from properties/security by providing full control or changing the owner it shows "unable to save the changes in permission information".
And finally when I try to format the disk It shows "You do not have sufficient rights to perform this operation".

<div>And I have

also tested two other external drives(WD & seagate)but faced the same issue.</div>How could this is possible that one day disk is working fine and next day it has this issue.

Please provide some solution to fix this.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows can not access the external Hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows can not access the external Hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given the fact ALL drives fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

I'd wait to learn if these work on other PCs.

If you wanted to solve the sufficient rights issue, that's on google but for now, try this on a new administrator account.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes i have tried on other PCs
by rt_123 / July 15, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

Yes these drives work well on other PCs but can not be accessed on my laptop.

Collapse -
Then try the administrator account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2013 3:46 AM PDT

And if they work elsewhere, formatting them is unlikely to fix the issue. There is malware that can cause such but as presented I would be guessing if some malware was recently cleaned off.

How did the new administrator account test work out?
Bob

Collapse -
Not working with new admin account too
by rt_123 / July 19, 2013 8:06 PM PDT

no it is not working with new admin account too.

could you tell me why it is showing
Used Space 0 bytes
Free Space 0 bytes
Capacity 0 Bytes
when in driver properties it shows device working properly.

Collapse -
Answer
Windows can not access the external Hard drive
by rt_123 / July 19, 2013 9:40 PM PDT

One more thing to add when I connect my android phone to the same laptop using USB cable, it connects and also i am able to access both phone & external memory card memory without any problem.

So i am not able to figure out what is wrong with the access for hard disks and pen drives.

Collapse -
Answer
In your new admin account.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 10:27 PM PDT
Collapse -
In your new admin account.
by rt_123 / July 20, 2013 4:14 PM PDT

Actually as i have mentioned in my first post itself that I am also not able to change any permission setting for the drive.
it shows "unable to save the changes in permission information".
and same error windows have no access to this object.
I think this is not a permission issue because in this case it is not even showing the disk capacity when I check properties.

Collapse -
Then we turn to OS repairs. But.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 12:47 AM PDT

I also noted above to try this in NEW admin account. I don't see where you did that.

This is a hardware forum so we won't dive into repairing the OS and since I can't tell how the OS was damaged I'll have to write that a reload is next.
Bob

Collapse -
Then we turn to OS repairs. But.
by rt_123 / July 23, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

I have tried the NEW admin thing that you have noted but the behavior is same in every particular access method that i have stated in my first post and even changing the permission showing same error message.

Collapse -
Then research that error message and hope
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2013 1:46 AM PDT

I don't know how the OS got into this state so I can't write any other fix other than to reload the OS.

If you need a little help in the research, see this link -> http://xkcd.com/627/

I know a fix, even if it's unpopular.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.