For some reason Windows update errors with .Net are quite common. The best solution: uninstall .Net from Control Panel and see if you really need it (you;'ll be prompted by some application). If it turns out you need it, reinstall it and the problem might be solved. If it reoccurs then, hide the update so it won't be downloaded again; that's standard functionality of Windows Update to handle updates you don't want.
Since you don't tell the details about that other pending update, it's impossible to tell more than "why not hide it?". So please tell more. In the Update history in IE (via Tools>Windows Update) you can find details on the failure (just a few clicks) and usually that info includes a link to details on the Microsoft site).So please tell those also. Maybe even you can fix it yourself armed with that knowledge and that help.
I'm not discussing your other issues now. Just the Windows update.
Recently my laptop is so fail. It used to run very smoothly.
1) Long ago i updated my bluetooth adapter driver, and the caused malfunction. I downloaded the driver from Dell Support website (apparently there are 3 under 'Network', and i get a lucky shot) and the bluetooth is fucntioning once again. however i checked through the device manager and found '!' marks on Bluetooth Peripheral Device. something is not right...
2) Recent windows update (automatically) has failed to install over and over again, hence prompting to redownload the same update every time i turn on the laptop. Specifically, its is 'security update for the .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008 R2: January 8, 2013 (KB2742595)'.. There is another update coming (also tagged as Important) but come to fail as well. So currently there is 2 pending updates...
3) While im having these problem, the boot time has increases noticeably. Long black screen appears before the login page turn up. Some says this is related to device/driver error. im not sure myself.
4) Very recently i have my Avast Antivirus not working (turned off) and every time i ask it to turn on or resume, nothing happens. It remain not-functioning and so, i uninstall Avast and adopt AVG Antivirus. i think this is around when i was installing the bluetooth driver from Dell. it works though! but the '!' mark persist.
5) Before my Avast failed, i did scan my laptop for virus/malwares in safe mode. Using Avast, SUPERSpyware and Malwarebyte, i managed to remove a few of them but the cleaning has done nothing good to the problem. and by the way before that, i also performed clean boot (msconfig, hiding all Microsoft services, bla3) as stated in the following link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
So these are the things that has changed my super cool laptop in to something else. The speed is also noticeably slower than usual.. especially when doing too many stuff like gaming and all. Here are the specs:
Name Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Service Pack 1
Features Terminal Services in Remote Admin Mode, 64 Bit Edition, Media Center Edition, Multiprocessor Free, OEM-Version
SKU Home Basic Premium Edition
Activation Status Activated
Checked Build No
UAC Enabled Yes
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
System Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Kernel Version 6.1.7601.17944
Security 256 bits
Product Name Windows 7 Home Premium
Build Lab 7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333
License Status Licensed (Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, OEM_SLP channel)
Hardware DEP Available Yes
DEP for 32 Bits Applications Yes
DEP for Drivers Yes
DEP Policy OptIn (only Windows system binaries)
Windows Update's version number 7.6.7600.256
Installed AVG 2013 2013-02-06 13:24:51
Installed AVG 2013 2013-02-06 13:25:39
Windows Update 2013-02-06 15:06:37
Windows Update 2013-02-06 19:00:26
Windows Update 2013-02-06 19:28:51
Windows Update 2013-02-07 19:00:10
Windows Update 2013-02-08 01:35:14
Windows Update 2013-02-08 07:59:13
Windows Update 2013-02-08 08:00:07
User Name Dell
Computer Name DELL-PC
Language English (Malaysia)
Installation Time 2011-10-20 13:26:53
Boot Time 2013-02-08 15:45:18
Up Time 1 Hour 58 Minutes 41 seconds
Pls help me. i want my old super cool laptop back!