Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Windows 98 memory issues?

by Jimmyb1 / June 12, 2005 3:59 AM PDT

Hello, I am running a dual boot system, with Win98 on one hard drive, and XP on another,the issue I am having has to do with the amount of memory I have installed on my mobo.With XP, I am able to run 3 Gig,with no problems, yet if I try to boot up Win98 with more than 1 gig installed,I get an error message saying that there is not enough memory to initialize Windows, is there a software problem?I have had this happen on more than 1 computer, so know it is some sort of software issue, and not a hardware problem, anybody know why this is?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 memory issues?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 memory issues?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 RAM
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2005 4:12 AM PDT

Windows 98, by design, is limited to 512 Mb RAM (although some report they have it working with 1 Gb).

The solution:
Remove enough memory sticks to get Windows 98 running. Then Start>Run msconfig, and in General>Advanced ... limit the memory to 512 Mb.
Then reinstall the full 3 Gb and see what happens.

A recent discussion in this forum on the same subject: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6618-0.html?forumID=6&threadID=58143&messageID=691124

By the way, what do you do with the machine to need 3 Gb RAM in Windows XP?

Kees

Collapse -
My thought too. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 12, 2005 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Windows 98 RAM

3 Gig of RAM? Must be plotting the planetary orbits or deciphering the human genome.

Wink

Collapse -
Workaround for the limitation?Or preferably a fix?
by Jimmyb1 / June 12, 2005 2:47 PM PDT

In response, yep, I already have Win98 working with 1GB of ram, with no problems,and whats wrong with wanting to use 3 gigs?The motherboard came with 3 memory slots,so why not use all of them?As far as what do I use it for?Mostly gaming,and from my understanding, the more memory, the less you are likely to have stutters,and lags in your program,I have noticed that some of the newer Mobos have slots for up to 6 gig,and I know its not always true due to other limitations or bottlenecks in your system,but it seems to make everything I do run smoother.And as far as Win98 having the 512mb limitation, thats what I am wanting an answer to,some sort of work around.I use the Win98 to run older games that while old, are still pretty fun to play,and what I have to do now, when I want to play an older game, is,pop open the side, pop out 2 memory modules, then boot up into Win98,what I was hoping to find was some way to NOT have to pop out the 2 memory modules every time i feel the desire to play an older game.And yes, I know about the "Program Compatibility Wizard", and no matter what I have read, I personally have had no luck running the thing.

Collapse -
Re: work-around
by Kees Bakker / June 12, 2005 5:10 PM PDT

As I said, use MSCONFIG in Windows 98 to limit the memory used to 1 Gb. That way, there is no need to physically remove the memory. See my post above.

Happy gaming.

Kees

Collapse -
Re Re: work-around
by Robertb1990 / June 16, 2012 5:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: work-around

Hmm I'll try it with my server I'm trying to run it with Windows 98 because its the only one that sucessfully installed just need to run it with 6 GB's Now.

Collapse -
Re: server
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re Re: work-around

Windows 98 isn't meant as a server OS.

Kees

Collapse -
Tips, tweaks and everything you need to know about...
by Blue_Zee / June 12, 2005 5:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Windows 98 RAM
by Robertb1990 / June 16, 2012 5:30 PM PDT

But My computer can't go any lower then 4GB of RAM or it will get an error code and not even produce an image

Collapse -
Re: RAM
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 24, 2012 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Windows 98 RAM

Then your computer isn't compatible with Windows 98. That can happen after 14 years and a no-longer-supported OS.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.