Windows Legacy OS forum

Windows 98 installation on newer PC

by sumselkawumsel / April 11, 2012 6:15 AM PDT

Hi all,

tried this for a while now, but did not get through. Hope there is an easy fix.

I'm trying to install Windows 98 SE on an industry standard PC. Trouble is, the PC is quite a lot newer than W98. (Socket 755, P45 chipset, Core2Duo... not the latest, but still more recent than W98)

a) Installation from install CD.
- the CD is bootable, boots nicely from the CD and asks me if I want to boot from hard disk or CD.
Then there is a nice Microsoft Windows 98 startup menu which asks me whether I want to start from CD ROM, or whether I want to start the computer with or without CD support.
Then, after selection of Start from CD Rom, a number of drivers seem to be started. At the end of the day however, there is a message saying:
"Device driver not found: OEMCD001". No valid CDROM device drivers selected. The Windows98 Setup files were not found.

The Driver used on this CD is from Oak Technoloy, called OTI-91X ATAPI CD-ROM device driver, Rev D91XV352. It tries to create the device with the name OEMCD001 but fails to do so. "No drives found, aborting installation".

Tried this with two different drives, one SATA and one IDE drive, same result. Also does not find any drives when both drives are installed at the same time.

b) Installing from USB stick
- Formatted my stick with HP tool in FAT32 file system, with system files from Windows 98.
Stick also boots nicely, and gives me a fancy C:\ sign when ready.

- Then I copied the W98 install disk on this stick, and booted.
For a fraction of a second, I see the W98 install screen with the windows logo on it, and then the system falls back to a C:\ command prompt.
All it says is:
Microsoft (R) Windows 98
(C) Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1998

This is all very nice but does not help installing.

I then type "setup" and hit enter (this is a functional DOS environment in which I can browse around etc...)
Result: A message which tells me:
"Please wait while Setup initializes."
I waited a while, had dinner, nothing happened.

So now I place all my hopes on you guys, hope you can help me with one of these two versions, which both failed so far. All I want to achieve is working version of Windows 98 on my PC.

If it is easier, I might also be interested in Windows 2000 since the software I'd like to run is probably running in 9x and I guess this should also work in 2000 then, but I simply don't have that OS, so I try to get my old Windows 98 SE to run.

Thanks in advance for all your helpful hints.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 installation on newer PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 installation on newer PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
(NT) How did you deal with Windows 98 issue with too much RAM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2012 12:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
I have 2GB installed and assume Windows 98 will use 1.5
by sumselkawumsel / April 11, 2012 5:00 PM PDT

Do you think this is the reason for not showing an installation screen, or for not installing a CD Rom Driver?

Collapse -
That's more RAM that it can install to.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

It's an old issue so all I can do is note it. Also, the CD Rom Driver can overtax today's users.

How can we expect today's users to install such a thing? We could research such but your reply seems to indicate you didn't use Windows 98 back then so you are unaware of the issues.

If you want to install 98, you'll have to deal with too much RAM first.

Collapse -
Thanks - will try a few things
by sumselkawumsel / April 12, 2012 5:09 AM PDT

Thanks for your note. I did use Windows 98 (for quite some time) but that was at a time when 1.5 GB was a LOT of memory and I was on a tight budget. Then I switched to XP. So the limitation did not hit me at the time and I am in fact unaware of these issues. I will try a few things with different hardware. Thanks for the hint so far.

Collapse -
Let me share how I run that old OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 5:14 AM PDT

I installed Virtual Box (google that, and it's free) then I install 98 into that. It runs very nice too without all the issues you would encounter with 98.

Collapse -
Just what I did today :)
by sumselkawumsel / April 12, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

Managed to get it to run in VMWare Player today. That made me stop assembling bits and pieces in my second PC. Guess this really is a much better way compared to the attempt to get a native OS running on not-old-enough hardware. Thanks Happy

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 10:32 AM PDT

I fear that today I would not attempt a native setup unless I was paid for it.

Collapse -
About Windows 98 and CD drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 5:21 AM PDT

This one is history but let me summarize how I installed it back them.

1. Find the cdrommightymorphin.sys or DOS DRIVER for that drive. This is very non-standard and rarely found for today's machines. I have NEVER seen it for a new machine with SATA, etc!

2. Format the HDD from a boot DOS 6.0 or such boot disk with the /S command. Be sure to partition it with FDISK from DOS so it will be of the size Windows 98 can use.

3. Boot to drive C and then create any folders you want (besides the Windows ones!) and copy in the DOS driver for the CD

4. Edit the config.sys file to load the CD driver. You claim you ran Windows 98 so use your prior skills here (or google?)

5. Edit the autoexec.bat file to install MSCDEX.EXE with the switches noting the driver loaded in config.sys.

6. Reboot and you should have DOS access to the CD.

At this point you can put in the Window 98 CD and run setup from that.

--> This is only a guide and can't be exact because after doing this thousands of times I think I had some thousand different drivers and config.sys+autoexec.bat files.

And why I think today's users could not do this. Many have lost or never want to use editors or the command line.

Collapse -
by Marianne C / May 18, 2012 9:24 AM PDT

Try booting from a Windows 98 start disk; that may help.

If the problem is that Windows 98 does not recognize and automatically install the new chipset, soud card, video card, etc and the drivers you have won't work with Win 98, installing it on a non-bootable drive may be the only possible way to get the program files on your new computer.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.