Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.

by jhatcher / February 23, 2004 4:03 AM PST

I am on an older machine Pentium 100 chip with 96 Mb
ram, and plenty of free harddrive space. Bootup appears
normal, but hangs at the Windows 98 Splash screen and
goes no further. I can boot up to safe mode, but don't know where to look to find why it won't boot up normal.
I have tried re-installing Win 98, but still have the
same problem. What can I do now?
thanks
Jim

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2004 4:27 AM PST

1. Create a Bootlog.txt (hidden file in the root of C:\). When starting the computer, use the Startup Menu to create a one-time Bootlog.txt file. Please be advised that Windows will boot much slower during the process.

Note: When examining this file in any text editor -- Notepad in Windows, or simply typing the following command at the MS-DOS prompt and then pressing Enter (clicking the icon in front of MS_DOS Prompt in the top colored bar provides MS-DOS commands), look for lines ending in LoadFailure which may indicate either a device or software problem.

edit bootlog.txt

2. The article [Q127970] discusses the hidden Bootlog.txt file located in the root folder, describes content, and explains certain items that may be indicated as a Load Failed which does not necessarily indicate a problem.

3. The article [Q118579] explains the root folder text file Msdos.sys set with Read-Only, System, and Hidden attributes, that this file is set to be at least 1,024 bytes in length, and describes the [Options] section that contain the settings and their meaning. Instructions are contained which allows a user to set certain options which creates the Bootlog.txt file during boot.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.
by jhatcher / February 26, 2004 3:42 AM PST

The only entries showing LoadFailure in the
bootlog.txt file are failure to load a number of
ttf files - truetype fonts. I checked under fonts in
the control panel and those fonts are there.

Collapse -
That's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Corrupt fonts can make this OS fail.

Move them out to another directory (or get good ones) after listing the corrupt font filenames for a doublecheck here to see if they are core OS fonts.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:That's a clue.
by jhatcher / February 26, 2004 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: That's a clue.

Turns out all the fonts in the windows\fonts directory
were listed as failing to load, failure code is 0016.
I was able to move all but one to a different directory.
the system wouldn't allow me to move the marlett.ttf
file and upon reboot, that was the only one listed in
the bootlog.txt file as failing to load.
some of the files are: WESTM.TTF, NWGTHC.TTF, LHANDW.TTF, GOTHIC.TTF, COPRGTB.TTF

Collapse -
Truly odd post!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2004 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Re:That's a clue.

If the system won't let you move it, I'm a bit confused since it appears Windows has actually booted.

A rollup to the top is now required since I was under the impression that Windows was not booting.

Bob

Collapse -
Tell what's been done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2004 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Re:That's a clue.

I posted a troubleshooting guide/link "After bootlog" and my note about fonts is just one of dozens of things for you to work.

Tell what you have done and if you are using all the posts here.

Some want a quickfix or click-here solution. Sadly, the OS can be damaged in many ways, but if the hardware is willing, one can fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Tell what's been done.
by jhatcher / February 27, 2004 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: Tell what's been done.

I can only boot to safe mode. That is where I was able
to move all the fonts out of the Windows\fonts except for
the one. When trying to move it, the message was that
to make sure it was not being used. It appears that that
the system is using it, that's why it can't be moved. I have gone through the troubleshooting guide mentioned and cannot pinpoint why the system will not boot up to normal mode. That is why I am seeking 2nd opinions, (and yours it the best). I am now thinking that my best option will
be to reformat the HD and re-install Windows 98.
JIm

Collapse -
Re:Re:Tell what's been done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2004 6:38 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm sorry to say, . .
by Cursorcowboy / February 26, 2004 4:41 AM PST
failure to load a number of ttf files - truetype fonts

I've never seen a ttf files - truetype fonts listing any any of my Bootlog.txt files for Win98FE. Several .fon files - for raster fonts however.

Bill
Collapse -
stops at Win98 splash screen
by tino20033 / October 30, 2009 1:59 PM PDT

I have that current problem but I only use the computer to write and do my work, send email. No knowlegde on how to follow these instruction and need step to step instrucions. Would appreciate any help.

Collapse -
After bootlog...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 4:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:After bootlog...
by jhatcher / March 1, 2004 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: After bootlog...

Problem is solved. Reformat and re-install was the
last resort option, but that is sometimes the best
option when other troubleshooting efforts fail to
uncover the problem. Thanks for all your help.
Jim

Collapse -
Re:Windows 98 hangs at splash screen and won't start.
by joekwong66 / March 1, 2004 4:49 AM PST

If you can get to the safe mode, go into the properties of MyComputer (right click), highlight the device manager tab, look for any devices with a question mark. Deleted them and try reboot after that. This may clear up your booting problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.