Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

windows 98 file transfer

by susie836 / October 24, 2010 12:00 AM PDT

Hi,
Can you tell me how i can transfer my files or even save them as my old computer is dying out. I have tried the usb port and i could not find a driver. I am not that computer savvy as to repairs. I have tried transferring thru emails but that would take forever. i purchased the Kingston data traveller 101 4gb.
Can anyone help me.thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 98 file transfer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 98 file transfer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: file transfer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 12:06 AM PDT

Let's hope it isn't too late yet. Sometimes it is. That's the moment people regret not having a backup.

The solution:
1. Buy an external hard disk enclosure (the right one for your disk) or SATA/IDE-USB2-cable.
2. Get the disk out of the case and into that enclosure or onto that cable.
3. Find a Windows XP, Vista or 7 PC to get your files off.
Couldn't be easier.

The alternative: see if any of the generic drivers from http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php work.

Kees

Collapse -
windows 98 transfer
by susie836 / October 24, 2010 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: file transfer

Thanks,
I will try it

Collapse -
Re : file transfer
by bruceclarke96 / November 19, 2010 5:45 PM PST
In reply to: windows 98 transfer

another way is to use a "live" cd of Puppy linux you can use it to rescue/transfer windows files to a HDD or if there is sufficient room on it a flash drive.

Collapse -
Easiest way to transfer files from a dying computer
by otr_man / December 1, 2010 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re : file transfer

The very easiest way to save the files from a dying computer, for someone who is not an experienced computer user, is to buy a new computer and then sit the two computers side-by-side.

Connect them together with a data transfer cable, connecting them by their USB ports. Such a cable can be purchased on-line, along with data transfer software, at a cost of about $50. Usually described as a USB data transfer cable.

There are chaper ones, that use the parellel ports (printer ports) instead of the USB ports. But transfer speeds are much slower if you use the parallel ports.

You can use any file transfer program, not just the one that comes with the transfer cable. These cables often come with software that doesn't support Windows 98: if so you just have to download some (free) file tranfer software, that runs on Win98, from the internet. I still use a file transfer program for Windows 98 or Windows ME called LapLink 2000 (oddly, that program must be started twice to run under Windows ME).

Start the software running on both computers, and the transfer program will detect the cable and the other computer, and provide a window much like the Windows 98 Explorer window, showing computer A in the left-hand pane, and computer B in the right-hand pane. Then copying the files to the new computer is just like copying a file with Windows Explorer.

Collapse -
reply to query complete
by odaboru1234 / July 6, 2011 5:31 AM PDT

Yes, it i a very helpful and working suggestion. Thanks! oda boru from Oromiyaa

Collapse -
How to access a USB device in DOS
by otr_man / July 17, 2011 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re : file transfer

Windows 98 computers do not support booting from a USB device.

They support booting from the floppy drive or from the CD-ROM drive, if the hard disk is inaccessible.

Once booted, even if you boot to DOS from the floppy drive, you can access any USB device that Windows 98 is capable of reading.

Full details of how to access a USB device in DOS is set out at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/recovery.htm

In particular, look at this section of that page - http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bridip/recovery.htm#16

Collapse -
My old machines did boot from USB.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2011 2:46 AM PDT

Windows 98 computers do not support booting from a USB device.

I've see some do this as well as CD booting.
Everytime we make a blanket statement like that, someone will prove it wrong.

More on topic, I continue to find the easy exit to be to put the old drive into some USB case.
Bob

Collapse -
same problem
by aang2 / July 30, 2011 2:13 PM PDT

I sort of have the same problem. my old 98 already broke, but i was able to pry out the hard drive from it and put in my newer laptop. it booted 98 successfully, but it has a lot of driver problems. I'm unable to establish an internet connection, it has a horrible display resolution, doesn't support my Kingston data traveler 101 GB. also i don't want to buy an external hard drive just for one use.

Collapse -
So what are the options?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2011 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.