General discussion

Windows 98 Driver

by rinorw1 / December 4, 2010 12:11 AM PST

I have one computer Pentium II,
Windows 98
Intel MMX(TM) Technology
128MB RAM
I think this is motherboard AWARD pci pnp 686

I want to install just USB driver(universal serial bus controller)
because I do not have Windows 98 CD

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98 Driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98 Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows 98 driver
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 98 Driver

I'm afraid you will have to find a Windows 98 SE (upgrade) CD somewhere. The good point: they aren't so very expensive at the moment, because not many people need them.

Kees

Collapse -
hey
by rinorw1 / December 4, 2010 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: windows 98 driver

Ok ok but in my city this CD doesn't exist, isn't in market Happy

Collapse -
Re: Windows 98
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: hey
Collapse -
Let's try it another way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2010 8:32 AM PST

What are you trying to accomplish?

One member was working very hard to get USB support to they could copy out their files. We were able to do that with other solutions such as a bootable CD or some USB HDD adapter.

Let's hear what's up.
Bob

Collapse -
try eBay for Win 98 SE OS
by Sorenson01 / January 2, 2012 9:18 AM PST

I got my Windows 98 Second Edition from eBay in Dec. 2007.

Has anyone else? I ask because I wonder if it is official. It looks official but I have often wondered if it is all there because I still have a lot of problems with my 98 Second Edition computer. It may not be OS related, but I am missing something in its' inability to function correctly.

Collapse -
You may have to tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 5:36 AM PST

If you thought XP and newer versions were hard to install, these older OSes were slightly harder.

That is, today I'm encountering folk that never installed these early versions and they install the OS (a minor miracle in its self) and then they discover not much works. The lesson begins about drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Quite correct about the difficulty
by Sorenson01 / January 3, 2012 10:08 AM PST

I very much agree about the difficulty in installing older OS'es. I was raised on Win 98 and it has been left behind. I didn't know much so I went to school and took hardware support. That was more than 3 years ago and never finished because I got a better job which prevented me from finishing. Maybe someday.

But I didn't want to forget the harder way of installing Win 98 vs today's somewhat easier OS'es. So I set out to try and get it installed myself (Win 98 Second Edition) on my original Win 98 computer.

That's where I'm at currently. Still trying and very many problems. Unsure what might be hardware problems vs software incompatibilities. I'm basically lost.

The computer is working, but not very efficiently. So many dodges I have to take into account, in other words, one cannot run Win 98 SE as today's prime OS so I have to backtrack and use older browsers and such just to get it to function.

What I have decided to try and do is make that old computer non-Internet because it can't handle today's Internet. But even that is not turning out easy because I have elements of old Internet functionality already on it now-just to see if it is possible to get some Internet functionality out of it. But so far, only looking around the Internet, and some downloads, not much else.

I wish this were easier. lol.

Collapse -
I took the easy out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2012 10:15 AM PST

I gifted any machine older than XP on Freecycle. Even Windows 2000 and older hit the road. While I retain a lot of knowledge from those days, I am going to be wrong more and more as what I knew fades from disuse.

Getting USB to work was indeed a miracle back then. Not only the rare Win98se but sometimes a patch, driver or script from the motherboard maker. Such is very hard to find today.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Try downloading just those drivers
by Marianne C / May 18, 2012 9:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.