Storage

General discussion

Windows 98-compatible Flash Drive

by Flash Driver / August 17, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

I need a flash drive that is compatible with Windows 98 on an old computer to transfer files to a new computer. All of the Sandisk products seem to be compatible with only Windows 98SE. Any recommendations for a flash drive product that is compatible with Windows 98 or has downloadable drivers for Windows 98?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 98-compatible Flash Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 98-compatible Flash Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2006 8:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 98 Flash Drive
by Flash Driver / August 21, 2006 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

It looks like they only have flash drives for 256MB, but it's certainly a start. Thanks Bob.

Collapse -
Missed this info last time. But you need to test it with..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2006 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 98 Flash Drive
Collapse -
This driver link finally got my old WIN98 box to read...
by Twennberg / October 6, 2006 11:09 AM PDT

I also have an old Windows 98 w/s where I am trying to move files to my new XP. This link finally got the old 98 machine to see the SANDISK Micro I bought to move the files. THANKS!

The link to 98 drivers on the SANDISK page did not work for me.

Collapse -
Flash memory driver for win 98
by Karowayseed / February 2, 2009 4:33 AM PST

Thank you very much for this info. I was in a bind regarding file transfer from 98 to xp until I was able to download and install recommended driver. A direct download to my 98 os computer was needed to allow flash memory to d-load my files and the transfer to the new computer was smooth. No glitches or crashes or freezing of screens. Thanks again; I'd spent alot of fruitless hours fumbling around.

Collapse -
WIndows 98 Flash Driver
by tomtek / September 1, 2006 10:36 AM PDT

I did this today and it worked.

I have Windows 98 and a new imation flash drive.

Window98 needs a driver for this flash drive.
I went to:
http://www.sandisk.com
There's a tab there about flash drivers - click it.
In the list of drivers find the one with the title.
USB flash driver 98
Download it to your computer.
the file name should be: oem-nfd-98-drive.exe
Double click the EXE file and follow the instructions.
Restart your computer with the flash drive in place.

Results:
My computer shows a new lettered drive:
In my case it is F: for the flash drive. Yours might be different.
When you remove the flash drive the icon for
the F: drive goes away. Plug it in and the F:
drive reappears.

You should be able to copy to this flash drive like
your A: floppy or C:, etc.

Let me know how it goes for you

Hope this helps.

tomtek

Collapse -
WIndows 98 Flash Driver
by junaidksa / December 15, 2007 1:12 AM PST

My problem is same as Mr. tomtek's "Windows 98 and a new imation flash drive not working without driver".

I did not able to locate the file "oem-nfd-98-drive.exe".

Could you please send this file by email.

Thanks

Junaid

Collapse -
(NT) Did you try the usbmsd98 driver from above?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2007 1:46 AM PST
Collapse -
Win 98 Flash Drive sandisc Cruzer
by hayseed1776 / March 10, 2013 12:22 PM PDT

Wow man thanks so much for this I had already been to sandisc and didnt find one ,I read your blog and went back and found the one you suggested the oem 98 and it worked ,,it took me awhile for my win98 to find it ,,or me to find it rather,,lol but got it 3000 plus songs of the old jewel to put on my new computer after 2 years of not being able to find away,,,dude you dont know how much I appreciate your blog thanks..thanks,,thanks,,,,,

Collapse -
Easy Way To Get New Flashdrives Working With Windows 98
by lawnmowrman / January 9, 2008 11:10 PM PST

After much trial and effort and failure and research, I found the answer. How do I get new 2gb and larger flashdrives to work with Windows 98 nonupgrade version 4.10 The answer is simple but sounds difficult. Just follow the instructions step by step.

1. Make sure USB PORT is ENABLED in CMOS. Do that by shutdown/restart and pressing DEL before anything can start loading.

2. Copy csmapper.sys and carddrv.exe into c:\windows\system and c:\windows\system32

3. Using Notepad edit config.sys found at c:\config.sys to add the following lines
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\csmapper.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\carddrv.exe /slot=3

4. Shutdown/Restart so your computer can load the new config.sys file

5. Download nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe from www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

6. Before you install nusb320-Eng-98FE, go to CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, Device Manager, and remove all drives for Unknown Devices and Serial Bus Controller.

7. Now install nusb320-Eng-98FE

8. Shutdown and Restart

9. Windows will detect your USB Ports and install appropriate drivers for them.

10. Put your flashdrive into the USB Port. Windows will detect it and install appropriate drivers for that flashdrive.

For some reason, Windows Explorer will not transfer files from/to harddrive/flashdrive so you will have to do it from the DOS Prompt. You'll need to figure out the drive letter for your flashdrive. I'd suggest starting at dir e:\ and working your way up the alphabet. On my computer the flashdrive is drive g.

If you do not have or cannot find csmapper.sys and carddrv.exe, I would happy to email them to you as a rar archive. Winzip should decompress rar archives, but if it does not go to www.brothersoft.com/rarzilla-free-unrar-download-64450.html
download rarzilla free unrar It is a small file and should only take a couple of minutes with a 56K modem. Use that to decompress the rar file that I send you.

My email address is darrylhall.uploads@gmail.com

This solution works with 96% of all flashdrives currently on the market for Windows computers.

Collapse -
USB FLASH DRIVE FOR WINDOWS 98/DRIVER/
by JW3096 / April 17, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

I'M TRYING TO TRANSFER A FOLDER FROM MY OLD COMPUTER TO MY NEW COMPUTER. I BROUGHT THE USB FLASH DRIVE, BUT CANNOT DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER........MODEM'S GONE ON THE OLD COMPUTER. ANY THING I CAN DO SHORT OF TAKING THE OLD TOWER IN TO SOME PLACE AND HAVE SOME DO IT WHICH WILL PROBABLY COST ME..............

Collapse -
(NT) So why not put the driver on a CD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2008 10:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
OLD COMPUTER HAS NO MODEM/NEED TO DOWNLOAD A 98 DRIVER
by JW3096 / April 18, 2008 12:43 AM PDT

I'M TRYING TO TRANSFER FOLDER FROM OLD COMPUTER TO NEW COMPUTER USING A USB FLASH DRIVE/SONY. HOWEVER, WHEN I PLUG IN FLASH DRIVE TO USB ON OLD COMPUTER NOTHING HAPPENS. CAN I DOWNLOAD A DRIVER ONTO THE SONY USB FLASH DRIVE USING MY NEW COMPUTER AND THEN TAKE THE FLASH DRIVE AND PLUG IT INTO OLD COMPUTER TO INSTALL THE DRIVER I NEED FOR THE USB FLASH DRIVE? PLEASE DON'T LAUGH. I'M SO FRUSTRATED AND I REALLY NEED SOME HELP . I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO TAKE THE OLD COMPUTER SOMEWHERE TO HAVE THIS DONE, IT MAY COST TOO MUCH. HELP

Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

You can't use the advice in this forum so you'll likely have to take it in. Also your keyboard looks busted. How did it get stuck in all caps mode?

Collapse -
Doesn't your old computer have ...
by Kees Bakker / April 28, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

a CD-drive or a diskette drive? You could use any of those to download or copy the driver to on another PC and read it on your old computer.

Kees

Collapse -
Flash Drive Driver for Win'98
by geoyar / April 27, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

Hi,

Just info:

I have downloaded the last version of the nusb320-Eng-98FE.exe from www.technical-assistance.co.uk (I googled it).

I run it on my Micron Millenia and it works like a breeze! No cs... sys was asked for!

And the file explorer shows it as the drive F: (I had drives A:, C:, D:, and E: before the installation.

Before the installation I had the USB kb driver and USB hub driver installed. I did not remove them.

The Device Manager shows the new driver under Mass Storage.

I tested it on 2-GB flash drive.

04/27/2008

Collapse -
This worked for me---Thanks
by skipper32 / January 11, 2013 11:49 PM PST

I have been sitting in the background looking for a solution and "bingo"...you gave it to me. This works, as you outlines, and it works fine. But, every time I remove the flash drive and stick it back in, I have to repeat uninstalling devices in device manager and reboot. This is no problem for me considering the length of time I have spent trying to resolve this. I have an old system; Win 95 and Win 98 that I run Autocadd 11 with DCA. Both systems crashed and I lost a ton of stuff. The original disks and CDs went the way of a fire a few years ago and I have been trying to reconstruct the operating systems from another old pc along with Colorado tapes. If you are versed with these old systems and config/autoexec, etc, I would like to hire you!!!
Newton

Collapse -
USB flash drive
by jen3034 / November 24, 2008 5:47 AM PST

Gateway desk top G6-400 Serial No. 00125046465
Operating System: win98SE Version: 4.10.2222A
Need a USB flash drive driver & install instructions
This driver should be generic so most any make flash driver
can be used. Much appreciate your help. Milt

Collapse -
Driver for flash memory for W98SE
by ek1023 / March 11, 2010 10:31 AM PST

Is there a company that will let me download a driver for my W98SE for a flash memory if I purchase theirs?
Thank you for your reply.

Collapse -
Did you already try ...
by Kees Bakker / March 11, 2010 4:33 PM PST

everything suggested in the above posts? I see several success stories with generic drivers.

Kees

Collapse -
help me i got blue screen
by blueglitter / November 16, 2011 7:47 AM PST

after install the drive
in my win98SE PC

what can i do ?

Collapse -
Today, so far USB drives are supported in 98SE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 8:19 AM PST

I'm surprised when it works!

Collapse -
(NT) I forget to write "few USB drives"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2011 8:29 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.