Windows 8

General discussion

Windows 8 wont start

by limeybiker / January 18, 2013 8:43 PM PST

I installed windows 8, updating windows 7, then I installed the free upgrade to Windows Media Player.

Now Windows 8 tries to start, then goes in to repair, but fails.
I have no discs to do a re-install, how do I get it to start.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 wont start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 wont start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's like a flat tire and no spare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 8 wont start
Collapse -
No spare was provided
by limeybiker / January 19, 2013 12:54 AM PST

Updated from Windows 7, updated from Windows 8, NO DISCS.

Collapse -
Did you read the link Bob gave you?
by wpgwpg / January 19, 2013 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: No spare was provided

Bob gave you a link on how to save your data using Ubuntu. Did you read it? Windows 8 has a facility for making recovery media, but you apparently apply that ounce of prevention, so now you're into the pound of cure.
You could make one if you can find another computer with Windows 7 or 8. When you upgraded from Windows 7 to 8, you must've downloaded the file(s) for doing that, so I guess you didn't bother to save that. With Ubuntu or a recovery disc you can boot up and recover these. The school of hard knocks is a good teacher, but it is a painful one. I hope you've learned from this experience.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Collapse -
Can't see the wood for the trees
by limeybiker / January 19, 2013 2:36 AM PST

I didn't try the link, because I did not have any files on the Computer that I didn't have on another computer, it was more a cheap $15.00, upgrade trial run for Windows 8 to see if I wanted to install on my regular Desktop and travelling Laptops, I have an 11.5" Dell Inspiron 11Z and a Lenovo, both 64 bit.
The PC I am using is an old GX280, I bought a 64 Bit Processor for it on EBay, otherwise it was below the Windows 8 level, it was running fine up to the last time I used it. Reading the Microsoft Windows 8 Forum, I don't seem to be alone with similar problems. I can't ask Dell for Re-installation Media because it simply does not exist. I have now read the article and will proceed to give it a try.

Collapse -
That extra detail helps. Dell has Vista and more for dwnlod
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 3:04 AM PST
Collapse -
Thank You
by limeybiker / January 19, 2013 5:46 PM PST

Thank you for the link, but they don't supply a Windows 8 Media Center disk.

Collapse -
You use your same upgrade method as before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2013 1:01 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You

Sorry but I made a bad assumption that you would install 8 the same way as before. Install the prior OS and do the same upgrade you did before.

Your claim you can't get the prior OS appears to be untrue. I see Dell is making it available for download via that system.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.