Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Windows 8 the Good, the Bad, and the Indifferent?

by Fyrebaugh / December 5, 2012 5:37 AM PST

I have installed Windows 8 64 bit on a virtual machine so that I would have access to it to support an ISP that I work for. Customers call in and need to know how to setup email, connect to the network, etc...

It seems that the things that I like about Windows 8 are already present in Windows 7, background switching, clean look, seems stable, but the things I don't like are directly related to the tiles and Windows 8 UI. Full screen apps, being the worst, IMHO.

But the main thing for me is that the guts of Windows 8 do not seem that much different from Windows 7. Aside from the ability to run on a tablet with a touch screen or phone, with a smaller screen I do not see the benefits.

So what I'm asking is for feedback from the community at large. What do you like, what don't you like, and what do you not care about in Windows 8?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 the Good, the Bad, and the Indifferent?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 the Good, the Bad, and the Indifferent?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you've got it right
by wpgwpg / December 5, 2012 6:06 AM PST

Windows 8 is mostly a new user interface on top of Windows 7. If MS would give us the option to make the desktop the default and give back the Start button for desktops and laptops, it would be OK, but I sure wouldn't recommend it otherwise. When MS takes a productivity tool and make millions of folks have to reinvent the wheel, it reinforces my suspicion that their management is out of touch. I predict that Windows 9 will add the start button back and give us the option for the desktop by the end of 2013 - time will tell. When they see how poorly Windows 8 is selling, maybe they'll start paying attention to their customers. We'll see.

Collapse -
windows 8
by pigletfiles / December 5, 2012 6:28 AM PST

hi,I also missed the start button but you can download one and it act the same as windows 7 and it lets have desktop as default.i can not remember which site I downloaded from but if you put a search on it you will find it hope this helps.pigletfiles

Collapse -
windows 8
by pigletfiles / December 5, 2012 6:17 AM PST

hi I am new to this site,i found it interesting your comments on window8.i have just bought a new laptop running windows 8 after having windows 7 and I agree with your observations I am not overly impressed with the tiles,lack of start button to access programs I downloaded one from another site I also don't like the annoying side bar that I would like to disable but not sure how I am no whizz kid on a computer.if you know how to disable it I would appreciate it thanks.pigletfiles.

Collapse -
Windows 8 side bar
by Fyrebaugh / December 5, 2012 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: windows 8

I think the side bar you are mentioning is the charms menu? This is a location that some functions are put so that they are in a common place across all programs, like printing and search. Win+C buttons pull it up so that you don't have to move your mouse to the top right corner. These functions could have easily been added to the title bar like the minimize, maximize, and close buttons have been for years.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.