Windows 8 forum

Windows 8 Storage Spaces

by Joneszee / April 7, 2012 2:20 AM PDT

I've been using Win8 since September. I installed the OS on a separate partition which installed a dual boot option on startup. When the Customer Preview was released, I reformatted the Win8 partition and installed it.
The computer is a Dell 1747 laptop with a touchscreen.

Far the most part I use it from the 'Desktop' mode. I've made some modifications to allow me to go directly to the desktop mode after the sign-in screen, skipping the initial screen and a small single button application to shutdown/restart the computer from the desktop.

So far I'm ok with the OS and the changes they have made. There are some bugs but the system seems rather stable.

What I'd like to do is use 'Storage Spaces' for the new features it provides. What I'm concerned about is if I re-format my disks and begin using it for my data... will it be compatible with the RC release or the final version of Win8.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?... Maybe I need to check with the Building Win8 team on this.. but any thoughts would help. But until I'm sure, I'm not going to use this feature with real data.

Thanks for your thoughts

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 Storage Spaces
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 Storage Spaces
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 7:23 AM PDT

I'm previewing Windows 8 as well and I didn't know about this feature.

Are you familiar with the older Windows Server version called Drive Extender? If so it seems these are similar but Storage Spaces apparently has more features.

I ask because if you are familiar with Drive Extender then you may be able to answer your own question. How are these files stored on the multiple disks, and were you able to access them from outside of the Drive Extender environment?

If yes, then I would assume the same with Storage Spaces. In fact there is a FAQ in the link below, (at the end of the article, that tells more about this;

A couple more links for you, in case it is useful; and

I note from the MSDN blog one FAQ about migrating from Drive Extender to Storage Spaces, ie;

Q) I use Windows Home Server with Drive Extender. Is there a tool to help me migrate data from the Drive Extender format to Storage Spaces?

No. You will need to create a pool on a Windows 8 PC with a fresh set of disks. Then, you can simply copy data over from your Drive Extender-based volumes to a space within your pool. The functionality delivered through Storage Spaces is more flexible and better integrated with NTFS, so it will generally be more reliable and useful

That may or may not be significant. If Storage Spaces changes significantly when W8 goes retail you may have to create a new Storage Space and copy the data over.

Limited information from me I know, but I hope it helps.

Collapse -
by Joneszee / April 8, 2012 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting

Thanks a million for your feedback.

Sorry to say, but I'm not familiar with Drive Extender... and I do follow winsupersite and howtogeek... Good info from both. I do feel that if I started with Storage Spaces using the Customer Preveiw that data should be ok with the RC and retail versions.. However having said that,,, I'm not brave enought to trust my personal pictures/videos and other data to this unknown... I'll just wait for now.

Again,,, Thanks

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.