Windows 8

Question

Windows 8 no POP email. I have a comcast email. HELP!

by swramsay / March 23, 2013 1:44 AM PDT

I've had windows 8 for 4 months now and I still don't know how to do simple tasks. The most serious issue is my pop email. I had a Comcast email forever. It's attached to all my accounts - medical, business etc etc. Windows 8 doesn't work with pop emails so I bought and installed office 10 to use Microsoft outlook. I am missing at a least of half my emails. Important emails. I have spent countless hours troubleshooting with Dell, Microsoft, and have even paid a third party and NONE have fixed the issue even with great assurance they would.

I am now going to buy Windows 7 and install a new operating system. If anyone has truly fixed the pop email issue with windows 8 PLEASE share!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 no POP email. I have a comcast email. HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 no POP email. I have a comcast email. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: POP email
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 1:50 AM PDT

There is not a single reason why Thunderbird (current version, free) or MS Outlook (2003 or later, paid) or even Windows Live Mail (current version, free) wouldn't work with a pop3-account in Windows 8.

What exactly do you mean with "missing"? The most obvious interpretation is "they aren't downloaded, but stay at the Comcast server, where I can see them in the Comcast webmail interface".

Kees

Collapse -
My emails that I know were sent do not show up in outlook 10
by swramsay / March 23, 2013 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: POP email

Emails don't show up in outlook 10 or on the server. They were sent because many times the sender forwards the original sent message. What would cause emails to not show up on the server or outlook 10? Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Re: emails don't appear on the server
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 9:26 PM PDT

That is totally indendent of your Windows 8 OS. They should arrive at comcast even if your PC is turned off.

So I'm afraid the sender does something wrong. That's more likely than gmail doing something wrong or comcast doing something wrong.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Here's what works for me w/Windows 8
by wpgwpg / March 23, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

First with Comcast you can do your email online at http://www.comcast.net , but if you want an email client, you can download Windows Live Mail from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/download-windows-essentials . Just click where it says "English" and it'll give you the wlsetup-web.exe program. Run that and it'll download and install a number of programs including Windows Live Mail which is what I use in desktop mode. Bob Proffitt likes Thunderbird, which I know is good, but I haven't tried it with Windows 8.
Speaking of Windows 8, if you haven't tried Start8 or Classic Start with it, I recommend them highly. Either one makes Windows 8 look and feel pretty much like Windows 7.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
pop3
by cathrined / April 5, 2013 1:22 PM PDT

I just spent 3 hours on online chats today with verizon and dell trying to get a verizon pop3 account to work on a new windows 8/office 2013 pc. I am converting over from a Vista/windows mail account. After installing Thunderbird and not being able to get it to work the verizon pop3, Verizon online chat tried to help for 45 minutes before giving up and telling me to contact Dell for an alternative email client pgm to handle pop3. The Dell online chat guy uninstalled Thunderbird and installed a free windows live 2012 which he monkeyed with for 2 hours in the account property settings. It wouldn't work for him, and he booted it up to his supervisor to follow up on tomorrow. After taking a break I went into the account property settings to do a parity check between the old and new pc. The screens are just a wee bit different on the server page, I tried each of the three new settings for incoming server authentication...rebooted the new pc between each apply of a new option sent test emails to myself and on the third try I was able to send and receive to both old and new pcs from both old and new pcs ...and all the failed messages I had tried came wanderring into my inbox....yeah....it's really trial and error...like the monkey at the typewriter eventually writing the Bible. I'm not sure how comcast is configured, but it seemed important to reboot in between trying the different options to tell if they really worked or not. I have the luxury at the moment of running 2 pc's side by side like a day trader.....confusing with 2 operating systems - but it did help. The next step is to try and load all my history/folders/contacts into the windows /windows live system. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
A thing about Pop email accounts.
by orlbuckeye / May 2, 2013 11:42 PM PDT
In reply to: pop3

You need to configure a Road Runner pop-server (incoming mail) and a SMTP (outgoing mail). I have Bright House Networks cable as my provider. My pop-server address is pop-server@cfl.rr.com and the SMTP address is smtp-server@cfl.rr.com. It used to be when I traveled and tried to send emails that I would sent an error when outside of the central florida area as the SMTP server was not allowing send from even other road runner networks outside fo central florida. I believe that has changed now because of the smart phones and they have a SMTP-Mobile-server which doesn't have that restriction.

When i traveld I had no problems with in coming it was just out going.

Collapse -
Answer
I use WLM w/Windows 8 & Comcast
by wpgwpg / April 5, 2013 1:50 PM PDT

Windows Live Mail works just fine for me with Comcast. Just download Windows Essentials from the MS web site.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
POP3
by wetibbe / April 7, 2013 12:04 AM PDT

I'm not sure everyone is using the appropriate definition or nomenclature but here goes.

POP3 is post office protocol. Generally it can be a paid E-mail account, It stores the users E-mail, until pickup but doesn't keep copies so they are deleted.

Some, if not most, Internet Service Providers include E-mail free. So these are not what could be called POP# accounts.

There are numerous "free" E-Mail accounts available. One of which is Googles G-mail.

In my case My ISP is MSN. I have the E-mail included. The browse is IE10.

I need to point out that when I upgraded from previous OS to Win 8 I has a big blue E on my desk top and a small blue E on my task bar. Opening the big blue E brought me to "Outlook" my E-mail. But without the tool bars. That was a space saver for smaller devices such as touch tablets and notebooks.

Opening from the small E on the task bar also opened to the home page and outlook. However, elsewhere in the start menu I can click and open "Hotmail". It is my Email, in my Microsoft account and I have to log on, but a different format completely. The Outlook and Hotmail accounts do not affect each other. They are independent. For example if I delete E-mails from my Outlook it does not delete them from Hotmail.

I also have Google installed as a browser and it has G-mail. Another E-mail account - free.

If someone wants to close out a POP3 E-mail address and incorporate it into Windows 8 there is a really significant problem. Error messages, will pop up saying it can't be done. But there is a specific fix to do it. It does NOT work for everyone for reasons not yet analyzed and answered.

If I wanted to get rid of "Outlook" It could be done but I would no longer be able to access that E-mail.

I actually have another ISP with another E-mail account which comes with it. I've asked for additional E-mail addresses and they are free. So I actually have several E-mail addresses.

I hope everyone understands that E-mails are not saved on your computer. They reside on someone else's server. You, or I, can go to another computer and access our E-mails normally - IF a POP3 account doesn't delete tham after opening.

I'll say again that everyone could save themselves a big headache if they would go to the book store and buy a good Win8 book.

Collapse -
Answer
Google Windows 8 pop account email clients
by orlbuckeye / April 8, 2013 5:02 AM PDT

Windows live mail is free and it works. You jast have to get the instruction on setting up the pop server and the SMTP server (out-going mail). Outlook comes with Office if you have Office (Office isn't free). There may be some other free clients out there for Windows 8.

Collapse -
Answer
Outlook POP3 e-mail in Windows 8
by rockyp66 / April 21, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

I went to the link below and opened the Internet Service Providers settings (for manual configuration of Outlook) tab.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2758902?wa=wsignin1.0

I entered the following in oulook13 running windows 8:
My Name
My Email Address

I selected POP3
Entered my incoming & outgoing servers for Verizon according to the Internet Service Providers settings (for manual configuration of Outlook)
Username
Password
I left the required logon using SPA box unchecked

Clicked More Settings
General - Named the account left all other fields blank

Outgoing Sever - Checked my outgoing server requires authorization and use the same settings as my incoming server, but here's the bug. You have to select the logon using panel and put in your user name. Select remember password and require secure password authentication (SPA). Then go back and select my outgoing server requires authorization and use the same settings as my incoming server.

I left the advanced settings at POP3 110 SMTP 25 as they were.

Clicked OK and then next and I started receiving e-mails immediately starting with the test e-mail, the live chat that I just had with Dell and everything that was on the server since the day before.

I hope this helps. I know what a pain in the butt it is not having all of the tools that you are used to having work when you buy a new computer or switch operating systems.

Good Luck!!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
No pop 3 with windows 8 with comcast
by pkrply9 / April 30, 2013 10:58 AM PDT

Call comcast help or go online. They have a pop3 workaround that will get you you mail. Online is quick and easy and they walk you through it. My mail was up and running in less than 10 minutes. hope this helps.

Collapse -
Answer
pop email id app
by param_singh / June 2, 2013 11:50 AM PDT

dude

instead of doing so much hastle. you could have downloaded the pop email id app from the app store from the windows 8 and you could get the pop email id in the same email app already installed.

it only costs $1.5 for the app. buy it and use it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.