Windows 8 forum

Windows 8 impossible to install!

by phaharah / July 19, 2013 2:38 PM PDT

Hi all,

I have recently built a brand new gaming computer with the following parts (ignore the prices).

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($68.46 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($93.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $986.07

I just finished this build and started to install windows 8. Windows 8 starts to install and goes down its checklist and restarts after "finishing up". Once it restarts it asks for me to pick the default OS and I pick the windows 8 one and then it switches to a screen with the windows 8 symbol and below it says, "configuring devices". This is all well and good until (at some random percentage) the screen goes entirely black and will not return. I have waited at the longest 20 minutes and nothing happened. I have had to restart and start the installation process all over again. I have done this about 8 times and was wondering if anyone had some tips. Thanks ahead of time.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 impossible to install!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 impossible to install!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 11:19 PM PDT

I've encountered new stuff that needs updates such as a BIOS before it will install. If that doesn't work then call the supplier to make your complaint and ask what they want to exchange.

Collapse -
by phaharah / July 20, 2013 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: True.

Hmmmmmm well I have an update disc for my motherboard with drivers and what not but I am assuming that doesn't do anything without an operating system.

Collapse -
Then it's clear
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

That the parts that are not ready must go back if they can't help you update a BIOS with a CD or such.

Collapse -
by phaharah / July 21, 2013 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Then it's clear

I need to send my mother board back because it isn't ready? And can I use that disc with the drivers to update it and see if it works?

Collapse -
I believe that's what Bob
by itsdigger / July 21, 2013 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: So...

was telling you to do. That's what that disc is for

Collapse -
I've seen this before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: So...

And while our office has many talented folk that can update a bios in any supported way, it appears this supplier and maker shipped you less than ready to use equipment.

They deserve the returns in my opinion if nothing else but wasting your time.

Collapse -
Bravo Bob
by Tiger6_5 / July 22, 2013 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I've seen this before.

I couldn't agree more. Some of these Manufacturers are getting sloppy and really are getting away with Murder!

Collapse -
New gaming computer
by livepcexpert7 / July 23, 2013 8:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 8 impossible to install
by OldCelticHippy / July 23, 2013 4:31 PM PDT

Question for you:
Does your video card have an input for external power? If so, I advise you to connect a spare power cable to the video card. The power cable is usually labeled for PCI-E Video. If there is not one, connect a "Y" SATA power cable to a free power connector, and use one of those for t5he extra power input for the video card.
Additionally, where are you attempting to install the OS? On the HDD or the SSD?
I also have an SSD, with my OS installed there [Windows 8.1 Preview]. Runs great, with little problems.
The important thing is to make sure the SSD is connected to the first SATA-3 cable, and shows up as SATA 0 in the POST. Then make sure that drive is the one you install Wiindows 8 to. Format it first, but DON'T format it as GPT. Format it as NTFS ONLY. The installer will make an extra volume on the SSD which contains the boot code for the OS. This volume is hidden, and named "System Partition".
If none of this helps, let me know, so we can work it out further.
Donald Lee McDaniel

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.