Windows 8 forum

Windows 8 flickering edges

by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 1:55 AM PST

So far Windows 8 is awesome for me... The only problem I am having is the top and bottom edge of my screen flickers like crazy! I didn't have this issue on Windows 7. Some apps don't do it, and some do it only at certain times. For instance, as I type this my Desktop top and bottom edges are flickering but when I exit it stops. Windows 8 native apps do it almost all the time.

I have updated my graphics driver and... well... I'm not sure what else I can do to make this stop! I can provide video on youtube of what it looks like if needed...

When I hold down a key for the "repeat" function the screen flickers with the repeat rate. In other apps it flickers randomly.

If I pull this hard drive and go back to Windows 7 I have no problems.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 flickering edges
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 flickering edges
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Base system specs
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 1:59 AM PST

Windows 8
ATi 5xxx HD gfx card 1gb ram
Intel i7 quadcore
8gb ram

All Answers

Collapse -
Nice trouble shooting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:00 AM PST

To me this tells me it's a video driver issue. Be sure to take this up with the machine's maker to get a new video card if they told you it would be fine on 8.

Collapse -
not made for 8
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Nice trouble shooting.

Unfortunately its a laptop so replacing the vid card is basically impossible. The HP drivers are not made for Win8 yet... the Win7 HP drivers work with Win8. The ATi drivers are listed as Win8 but have the same issues as the Win7 driver from HP.

Thanks for the response!

Collapse -
Hunt around for a display driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: not made for 8

I don't want to upset experts out there by detailing what a monitor.inf file is but try another one.

Collapse -
upset experts
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 2:31 AM PST

Would love to try another one. How? lol... I'm sure I can find the file but its a laptop... where would I find another file for my "monitor"...

Collapse -
I can't help. Maybe it's me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: upset experts

I looked again and found it's HP, it's a laptop, but the model number eludes me. Sorry but I can't go look for a monitor driver without that. I read the post 3 times and it's hiding.

Collapse -
sorry about that
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 2:39 AM PST

Its an Envy 17"

1011nr I believe is the actual designation as there are many Envy laptop builds.

Collapse -
Its listed as generic
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: sorry about that

In Device Manager the monitor is listed as Generic PNP monitor so you're probably on the right track! Now just need to find that file Happy

Collapse -
Sorry but could be the wrong track.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Its listed as generic

Without the model number I'm forced to use generic answers and the usual. Now that I have the model number I can look for issues with that model. See next answer.

Collapse -
HP walks it seems. HOWEVER the BIOS F.1D writes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: sorry about that
Collapse -
i know
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 3:03 AM PST

I know support for the older machines isn't there but it works. Mostly. Everything but the screen. I've never been one for wanting to replace hardware when the old still works just fine. I don't get some security things through the bios or whatever... I don't care about that.

Yes I know Windows 7 64 bit is the only OS listed for drivers... that's HP being lazy and not wanting to do the work they should which is why I really hate computers in general. Zero legacy support these days. Even if it works they just drop it. How very Apple of them.

I'll check the BIOS but I believe I installed that at the release time despite not having any issues resolved by it.

Thanks for checking... was hoping it was maybe something simpler (like reducing hardware acceleration or something...)!

Maybe I put Win7 back on this, sell it to my dad, and buy a new laptop... Ugh I so hate doing that when this thing is 100% capable of everything and anything I throw at it.

Collapse -
Win 8 just shipped.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: i know

And you are calling it a shipwreck just a few days out of port?

Yes, I know. Consumers want it now.

Collapse -
The point of my post...
by goblynn93 / November 8, 2012 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Win 8 just shipped.

I was simply wondering if anyone else had seen this issue in any circumstance be it an upgrade on an older machine or a built for win8 machine or ANY machine...

I am personally really enjoying Windows 8 and I hope it is successful.

I just can't justify the cost of a brand new machine when there is NOTHING in this machine that isn't Windows 8 compatible. I can learn Windows 8 and still do my job and live with the screen flicker. If there was a simple way to get rid of it or other people with the same issue I had hoped for some info.

This "disposable technology" mind set that permeates the industry right now is wasteful and disgusting. My laptop is a little over two years old... my last laptop ran for ten years!

The BIOS update helped but didn't completely solve the issue. Thanks for pointing out that update...

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 11:41 AM PST

I've seen many odd things as we change the OS up. It seems a little unfair as the OS just shipped but I understand today's consumer. They want it now and no exceptions.

So yes, I've seen such. Not this specific machine but unless HP is getting calls about it, they have no reason to look into it. Again, what consumer will make that call?

Collapse -
SOLUTION change date and time back to current date!
by msims / September 1, 2013 5:22 AM PDT

Did you check to see of the year in the date read 9/1/2099 in the time and date in the task tray?
If so you need to physically go into right click the time and date in the system tary and change it back to the current date.

Anti virus programs will not update such as what I've found out with my Norton Internet Security 2013 and when I changed the date back to 9/1/2013 IT WORKED!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.