Windows 8 forum

General discussion

Windows 8 explorer - "folder size" feature ?

by Ziggizag / December 26, 2012 12:31 AM PST

Hi,

It was very upsetting in case of Windows 7 the system explorer was unable to retrive folder size information. It was possible to preview file size in detail view but not folder size.

How is this feature in case of Winodws 8 explorer. Is the appropriate hook exposed in API or is it still missing as it was in case of Winodws 7?

Please - can you verify?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8 explorer - "folder size" feature ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8 explorer - "folder size" feature ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't guess if you know why that was.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2012 12:34 AM PST

There was a good reason they left that out. Do you need to know why?

The folder size is not sitting there to be read in this file system so without me revealing more, why do you think it's a hook? And why do add-ons work if there is no hook?
Bob

Collapse -
The most ******* idiotic answer ever!
by Ziggizag / December 27, 2012 7:28 PM PST

No more comment.

Collapse -
I offered to expand on it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 12:11 AM PST

I keep it short because I need to know where you are in learning about operating systems and more.

Sadly it appears you are not here to discuss this.

"A mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work."
Bob

Collapse -
Go away from my thread you moron!
by Ziggizag / December 28, 2012 3:26 AM PST

I asked a simple question about folder size feature what was present in earlier Windows versions and was gone with Windows 7. And you behave like an ******* - go away do not come back here please.

Collapse -
I'll try if you will.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 5:51 AM PST

This is not the question you asked above. You claim the API was not in Windows 7 but how did addons get that folder size?

And why is unacceptable to discuss the OS, API and more?

I do more than electronic design, I also have apps out there. Just wondering what ticked you off.
Bob

Collapse -
Here you are
by Ziggizag / December 28, 2012 2:04 PM PST
In reply to: I'll try if you will.

Have a look:

http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/ce998316-c210-4cdb-a38b-69be223a305f

(MS entirely removed the shell interface which allowed developers to write column handler extensions in Explorer.)

And finally I found this a minute ago:

http://superuser.com/questions/490378/does-windows-8-explorer-have-a-foldersize-column-or-restore-the-column-handler

So, the answer is "NO" - as usual, Microsoft decided to feed nasty worms in their rotten brains rather than support Windows users with very useful and expected feature. I really hate this arrogance. I am a veteran Windows user with plenty of in-depth system understanding, but sometimes I do not cope with the extatic visions of Microsoft leadership. Mister Ballmer is simply narcistic, testosteron-loader swellhead who is organically unable to deliver anything valuable and expected and year by year his company is slipping into abyss. He should be forced to step down as soon as possible - before the whole company collapse under his psychotic management.

Collapse -
Now we are getting somewhere.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2012 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: Here you are

If we limit ourselves to Explorer I see where you are going with this. In Windows 7 it was possible to hook in an extension and get the folder size. I've seen this for years so that's why I wondered about that claim. We know that the file system does not have a direct method of getting a folder size so our code would have to tally up the files in a folder and in subfolders which can take a very long time.

If you tracked Microsoft's ideas about WinFS and how that never came to pass you can see why an update to the file system was needed as you want a simple folder size method or API.

-> You don't have to use Explorer. I use other file/folder browsers and have for years. Explorer can lie to you about what's on the disk. So why not use anything else?
Bob

Collapse -
My godness !!!
by Ziggizag / December 29, 2012 12:37 AM PST

I do not even know how could you think about system-wide folder size calculation limiting. This is not really good if your focus goes that way usually...

Sure I meant Explorer and sure I use Q-Dir as a handy integrated workaround. Nevertheless I believe an operating system manufacturer should deliver a limited built-in toolset but a powerful one.

Microsoft policy is a negation of this rule - they pack their system with a plethora of pointless, useless toy-tools. And - interesting - they are usually still to complicated for an average American lady while too simplistic for anybody more demanding - hehe.

So, I am aware NTFS brings no built-in accounting, so getting folder size requires nasty iterative WIN32_FIND_DATA requests. So - nobody asks to have it a front-end Explorer feature! But there should be an option to reveal this info in column in a purpose to easiliy evaluate where your disk is being eaten too fasts. Why a separate tool for that??? Why the hell practially all Windows system tools have to be replaced with more efficient alternatives if you only think about your computer as a productivity tool not a grandma fun-box?

If MS wants to keep itself off the road to perdition they have to deliver quality products not confusing ones. Windows is well know with nasty habit of nearly uncontrolled disk consumption. Their crazy "Windows Installer" service makes a hidden copy of each and every software installer - regardless it is 10MB utility or 500MB colos. I could find 1GB installer files stored on C: drive just for nothing but... proper software uninstallation (argghhh!!!).
Each and every windows update is stored endlessly too - unless you manually delete it. The system volume shadow copy (why default on desktop systems???) is an another abyss...
And Microsoft gives you no single utility to protect your precious disk real estate but grab it as a notorious bankster! And then they feel so suprised with avarall hatered... morons lead by stinky Ballmer fat piece of ****.

Collapse -
Thanks for this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 3:19 AM PST
In reply to: My godness !!!

Now that we've gone back and forth I see exactly where you are coming from.

-> MSFT is moving to a consumer OS. Not an OS that is for folk that use the OS for work or much else.

It is progressing to the APPLIANCE and at their peril they are trying to turn it into a toaster. While a lot of folk own and use a toaster many of us need a torch to get work done and we use that to make toast as well.

-> Did you notice the departure of the pair that designed this mess?
Bob

Collapse -
Did I notice?
by Ziggizag / December 29, 2012 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks for this.

I believe Sinofsky is a scapegoat. A real ******* is Mr. Ballmer who is navigating all this disaster.

Collapse -
I wish that was true.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: Did I notice?

I listened to Sinofsky and he had some ideas about how it should be. I wish I could have heard more but the first picture of him at MSFT I saw had an Apple iMac on his desk.

Windows 9 will be fine. If they make it there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.