General discussion

windows 8 arrives

by mdreamm / October 25, 2012 6:49 PM PDT

windows 8 arrives,

will you upgrade your operation system?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 8 arrives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 8 arrives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 25, 2012 7:47 PM PDT
In reply to: windows 8 arrives

The laptop I use is my employers, and I'm not allowed to upgrade. And since the company is still in the transition from XP to Windows 7 I don't expect it to have Windows 8 ever.

My Windows 7 desktop doesn't have a touchscreen (neither has that laptop, by the way), and for all I read a touch screen really is necessary to enjoy Windows 8. Moreover, moving my hand from mouse to keyboard and vice versa is a one foot horizontal movement, while moving it to the screen is a one to two feet vertical movement (with the upper part of the screen located far above my shoulder height), which is clumsy and probably leads to a quite new variant of RSI in the shoulder. No thanks.
I expect this desktop to stay functional like this till far in the Windows 9 era, maybe even until Windows 10 arrives.

My XP desktop is not used much and works fine. SInce there never was a need to upgrade it to Windows 7, there surely isn't a need to upgrade it to Windows 8.

Smartphones and tablets can't be upgraded. If I buy one, I'll have to choose between Apple, Google or Microsoft software. Not relevant at the moment.

Kees

Collapse -
I won't be either
by DChrisL-24904635370836975 / October 26, 2012 8:00 AM PDT
There was a problem with WIN 7 Home Edition, and I get all hotmail and live accounts being negated. I went to Mozilla Thunderbird and have zero problems and 6 different email accounts. Six and one repeat on WLive never connected. I may be picking your brains, Kees_B, for I have an WINXP SE in that and..
will dicuss that in that proper forum: http://forums.cnet.com/windows-7-forum/ Darrell
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2012 9:19 AM PDT

We won't do that. The office will get a few machines with 8 ready to run but upgrading is not something we do a lot for all the reasons you find in these forums.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't use tablets so: No.
by dave7072 / October 26, 2012 10:39 AM PDT

I'm curently running an i7 Desktop pc running 64bit Win7 Pro.
I have absolutely no need for a touch screen OS - No Thankyou.

Collapse -
When I can set background colours in system app windows...
by gordon451 / October 26, 2012 11:46 AM PDT

I went from W2K Pro SP4 rollup 1*, fully configurable in the desktop UI, to W7HPx64 with Aero Glass and very little configuration possible.

I have a desktop box, and my eyes cannot handle Microsoft's glaring white backgrounds. In W2K it was a snap to set those to a light parchment, pale yellow with a hint of green, very restful. In W7, I had to disable Aero and revert to Classic to get the same functionality -- the next tweak will be the classic hierarchical Start Menu Cool .

However, W8(all versions) does not have the Classic Desktop, and no part of the Aero/Metro UI can be tweaked to give me parchment on system app (Explorer, Control Panel, Notepad etc) backgrounds. Will we see this in SP1? Does the USA have a Monarchy as Head of State?

So, while I will take up Bill's $40 offer, I won't be installing it until somebody can develop a decent desktop UI tweak. I am eligible for the $14 upgrade offer, but, well, it is only an upgrade Plain .

Gordon.

Collapse -
Tried Win 8, No thanks
by Mac904 / October 26, 2012 11:47 AM PDT

It offers nothing over Win 7 except touchscreen & an obscure way of hiding menus. You can download a conventional start menu & even turn off the touchscreen, but then you may as well run Win 7. I think I would even prefer XP to Win 8. The one plus if you're upgrading from XP or Vista, is that it is cheaper than Win 7.

Collapse -
pc gamer
by toap / October 26, 2012 12:41 PM PDT

its time that Microsoft gave pc gamers an os just for us you know there are loads of pc gamers out there , what about win 8 for gamers . toap

Collapse -
updating to windows 8
by Philip Reeves / October 26, 2012 1:09 PM PDT

NO!

Collapse -
Windows 8 Update
by Ron Geiken / October 26, 2012 1:29 PM PDT

I love the operation of my W7 computers, and not sure if I want to move to W8 since it seems to be radically different that W7 and might take quite a bit of tweaking. I am happy with my two W7 computers, and can't imagine that there would be enough of an improvement to upgrade. I will sit down with one of them at the Microsoft Store in Scottsdale, AZ and see if I like the operation of it. I might just wait for Windows 9 if and when it makes the scene. I enjoyed the updates from XP to Vista and then W7. They all operated similarly and the learning curve on them was easy enough. I don't need my computer to look like a Tablet. When I buy a Tablet which will likely be one with Android on it, I will be glad to use that too. I have tried Android by putting it on a Netbook that originally had W7 on it and ran like a snail. With Android 4.0.3 cobbled on it, it worked quickly and was a job to use. I gave it away to a friend since I have two W7 computers and I wanted to get a full fledged Android system. Will look at the Nexus 10 that may be introduced on October 29th. Rumors are that it has 2 gig of ram on it, and if there is a 32 gig version, might just buy that one. I think that the reason the people like the i Pads and the Android Tablets is that the operating system is much simpler than W7 or W8. The former O/Ss are made for individuals while Windows 7 and 8 are made to be used in a corporate network and is complicated due to this requirement. i OS 6 and Android are not particularly made for corporations, so they are not required to have the constraints that Windows computers do.

Collapse -
Probably not
by Zouch / October 27, 2012 12:15 AM PDT

But I do need to look at it for some of my clients. So far, I think my advice will be to stop at Windows 7 - at least until I've checked out the alternative third party start screens - Classic Shell, Start8 or Vistart.

Why?

1. I don;t want a 23" mobile phone!

2. The wretched tiles in the UI formerly called Metro are so big that you need to scroll across to get to them all. For some reason (and it took me a while too) the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen isn't immediately obvious.This was a common issue in a user test conducted by The Register.

3. The Tiles UI and the Desktop UI are really two completely separate environments.It takes a few stumbles around to learn how to switch between the two quickly.

4. It's by no means obvious unless you have been prewarned, that there are hidden menus in the screen corners. Why hide them? The scrolling also makes it less convenient to get to left corner and right corner menus.

5. On the Desktop, the lack of a traditional start menu is a serious omission - OK, there is the search box but why would you want to do that if there was a familiar start tree?

6. Many older peripherals don't have drivers yet, or maybe never will - Vista, anyone?

7. Any machine capable of running Windows 7 will run Windows 8, right? Wrong! I have a Samsung laptop, admittedly, not in the first flush of youth, that runs Win7 brilliantly but I cannot get Windows 8 to install. Running from the DVD (RTM via Technet) it hangs after the Win8 logo appears. Running under Windows 7 to a spare partition, it does get further but the installation throws an error late on in the process. It also seems to want the product key immediately - not like XP thru Win7, on which you could install without the key and get 30 days trial period to learn how to set it up properly before you committed the key.

8. I'm not a great Apple fan but I think in this case, where Apple decided to keep the tablet/phone operating system (iOS) separate from the PC operating system (Mac OS X) was the better solution than Microsoft's "one size fits all" (Not!).

Windows 8 or Windows H8? time will tell!

Collapse -
Yes I Will!
by Masterherm / October 27, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

Straight to Linux Last version of Kubuntu.Done with Microsoft and all the Hassles associated with Viruses,Blue screens,Mal-ware attacks and platforms for Hackers.So good luck and congratulations to all those following the hype.

Collapse -
Another Micro$oft Flop
by TerryMZM / October 27, 2012 1:26 AM PDT

No, I will not be upgrading to Win8. I will spend the$40.00 to download it, on the outside chance that some program that I "must have" will come along that needs it. (I strongly doubt this will happen, but I got burned a few years ago by this.) I'm still finding things the supposedly safe evaluation version hosed up on my Win7 laptop. And to those who are curious - at least on the demo version there was a way to turn off the UI formerly known as Metro. But after doing that, I found I couldn't leave Win8 which started a mess. For its faults, Win7 seems to be just a little sub-par to Xp, why can't Micro$oft simply improve the OS and leave their greasy paws off the UI? That means IMPROVE, not add restrictions and remove permissions, in case anyone from Micro$oft is reading this.

Collapse -
A change of mind.
by TerryMZM / October 27, 2012 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Another Micro$oft Flop

A warning to those who might be considering what I was - DON'T DO IT. To get the $40.00 version requires a download from Micro$oft. At least that's what it looks like at the beginning. As I progressed through the steps, it became obvious to me that this is not a "download now, burn to DVD, install later thing". This is a "download and upgrade/install now thing". My plans had been to at some time in the future clean off a drive in my desktop, unplug all other drives, install Win8 on the clean drive, then unplug it and store until needed. But only after unplugging all other drives again. The experience I had with the demo version on my laptop has me very gun-shy about this OS.
Additionally, as I went through the steps to get the $40.00 version, Micro$oft loaded something called a "download adviser". This program scanned my system and told me what will and won't work with Win8. A nice touch. Also a nice way to sell software. Turns out Micro$oft Office 2003 (which I use quite frequently) won't run under Win8. Quite a few other programs were on the "won't run, need paid upgrade" list, most are MUCH newer than my Office Suite (I don't just upgrade for fun, if it works - why change it?). This $40.00 bargain(?) would have become at least a $600.00 mistake if I had continued.
The more I'm around Micro$oft, the more attractive Linux becomes!

Collapse -
Thanks for the update
by samkh / October 27, 2012 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: A change of mind.

I feared as much that the downloadable version would be a force install on the machine it downloaded to. Was wondering why the $30 discount from CD upgrade, so now we know!

btw, O2003 did run under W8 betas, so either the advisor is wrong or some corner case function is unsupported. Common ones like create, edit, save, print, cut/paste ran fine in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook.

Collapse -
Corner case may be MAPI calls.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the update

I'll just toss this out there that the old Mail API may be gone in 8.

Collapse -
Not all true
by tonyron227 / October 29, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: A change of mind.

When you download this software from M$ you have the option to install it or to burn it to a DVD or use a flash drive. You are not required to install it straight from the downloaded file.
If the advisor points out things that you do not agree with you can easily opt out of the deal...IJS

Collapse -
Microsoft, please!
by vshixson / November 4, 2012 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Another Micro$oft Flop

I refuse to open Pandora's box. The only new thing about this OS is that it's for the birds. (Twitter and all other social apps.) If you look closely under the hood, you will see this is another repackaging to keep up with new hardware. (Touchscreens this time.) The problem with phones has always been the screens aren't big enough. So instead of making the phones able to plug into a computer screen, let's repackage our old workhorse so it's not compatible with anything so everybody has to buy "apps" from our new "app" store.(Just like Apple!) This is what Microsoft has done since Windows 95. By trying to be everything to everybody, the Microsoft OS has become more bloated with each successive version. Windows 8 has become so bloated that Microsoft doesn't want you to turn the machine off, because nobody will wait that long for a system to boot up. Does anyone remember MS DOS? That is the engine that runs all Windows, no matter which version you have. (MS DOS 7.0) So why should this version be any different? If you have the very latest hardware and aren't interested in anything except social media, then this is the OS for you. If you are a gamer, or actually want to do something productive, you don't need to spend a bunch of cash for "apps" that might or might not work. Just remember the old adage "If you need an app, it's a piece of crap."

Collapse -
yes.
by shafiqkhan31 / October 28, 2012 9:50 PM PDT

You will never know the thrill of adventure, if you do not buy your own computer and have up-to-date software.

I suppose busman's holiday does have a degree of potency.

For me the pleasure of a new toy is meaningful. I have downloaded Windows 8 Pro, have not used it much but it seems great, worked without a hitch.

For UK one has to download it from Germany, on my relatively slow broadband in rural Britain it took 2hours plus to complete the download.
Shafiq

Collapse -
thanks for all your replies
by mdreamm / November 1, 2012 3:30 PM PDT

thanks for all your replies

i want to upgrade it. i like its interface, beautiful. Blush

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.