Linux

General discussion

Windows 8

by fenitrarefer / September 26, 2011 11:25 PM PDT

Windows 8 or Ubuntu 11

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm.
by arochester / September 27, 2011 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 8

Hmm. Let me see. No question marks. Is is a question or a statement? Is it a rhetorical question?

Collapse -
(NT) Isn't the higher number the newer version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2011 2:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 8 ?? Maybe it should be "Windows ATE"...
by out_fisherman / September 28, 2011 6:26 PM PDT

Windows ATE up all my HD space....Windows ATE up
all my memory...and Windows ATE up all my bandwidth
due to constantly checking for things that might hurt me
due to their previous lack of security in their own software...
I.E. - Internet Explorer...

No thanks....I have been 'born again' due to Linux - and I'm
never going back. Nothing I have wanted to do cannot be done
on this platform, and it's been a great ride.

Windows 8-9-10...best of luck out there. Bill Gates and I
have the same birthday, but that's where the story ends....

Collapse -
Re: Linux
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 6:37 PM PDT

Most games, I'm being told, (like World of Warcraft) don't run natively on Linux. Luckily, there are emulators for those few people (like you) who don't want to run the real thing.

My Windows folder currently is 5,532.5 MB. If your hard disk is so small that that's ALL your HD space, then you're better off with Linux indeed. But maybe it's time to buy some more current hardware?

Kees

Collapse -
Gee...
by out_fisherman / October 1, 2011 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Linux

Kees,

Relax. This is the Linux forum, not the games forum.
Nothing in my post mentioned games. If I was a big
gamer, maybe I should buy an X-Box, Playstation,
or similar.

I see no harm in pointing out viable alternatives to
Windows. Even you cannot deny that Windows has
gotten very bloated over the years....

As for your condescending remark about my hard
drive space, I have 88% left on the Windows side and
96% on the Linux side....not likely to run out soon.

....I think you stepped on me a little hard, no ???

Collapse -
If your life
by R_Head / October 3, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

depends on Gaming Windows is your platform. Any other work, Linux is just fine or better.

Collapse -
choose linux
by drudgetoiler / October 5, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: If your life

well its definitly easier to run windows in virtual machine with linux as host that way it doesnt start all those bloated services and HAL interfaces

Collapse -
Windows 8, same old Windows
by 3rdalbum / October 18, 2011 1:06 AM PDT

It's still the same old Windows with annoying notifications, the inability to install a printer in under 15 minutes and a requirement to spend hours on system maintenance such as defragging.

Collapse -
(NT) Printer install time on Windows 8
by MikeHolli / January 30, 2012 7:49 AM PST
Collapse -
Replacement for WIndows
by PCRefurbMan / November 3, 2011 1:46 AM PDT

I'm loading Refurbished PCs with Replacement for Windows. As far as I know it's the only OS designed for Refurbishing shops. The install is completely automatic and it comes on a system restore disc we can send home with our customers.

We looked at using Ubuntu, but the new Unity desktop is awful. There were also a few legal issues with Canonical owning the Ubuntu trademark.

We used to install XP, but it was very time consuming: Install the OS, track down the right drivers for incorrectly installed (or not installed) hardware, run the updates, and hope it works when it restarts.

WIth R4W I pop in the disc, turn on the computer, select the option to restore the PC, and walk away. 15 to 20 minutes later I return to find the disc ejected and the computer off. Just remove the disc, turn on the computer and make sure it's Online. I can install R4W in about 40 machines an hour. The only thing preventing it from being more is my lack of physical setup space. Currently we are setting up all the PCs we'll move in the week in just a few hours. A task that used to take my tech help all week + sometimes overtime to accomplish. The cost savings in staffing alone is about 1,600 a week give or take (over 6,000 a month).

If Windows 8, or Ubuntu could do this, without licensing restrictions. And run with just 256MB of RAM. I'd definitely offer them to my customers. R4W, like Ubuntu, is Debian based.

I forget the odd URL but you can find the R4W homepage by googling: webpath r4w

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.