Windows 8 forum

Question

Windows 8.1, Where are Libraries?

by Oldthing17 / October 17, 2013 5:42 AM PDT

Okay, I took the leap. I installed Windows 8.1 today. My Libraries including all of my pictures, music, and documents are gone. Does anyone know where they went?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 8.1, Where are Libraries?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 8.1, Where are Libraries?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
They would be on your backups.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2013 5:46 AM PDT

When we install an OS, all that is on the PC could be lost.

Let's hope you planned on that.
Bob

Collapse -
I backed them up
by Oldthing17 / October 17, 2013 9:26 AM PDT

I did back them up in Skydrive. Since this post I have copied them back to "This PC". I just did not realize that Microsoft was doing away with Libraries in Windows 8.1. I am still trying to figure out why my items disappeared other than in Skydrive. I'm working on it.

Collapse -
I backed them up in Skydrive
by Oldthing17 / October 17, 2013 9:38 AM PDT

I didn't lose them, I had saved them to Skydrive. I just didn't know that Windows 8.1 was doing away with libraries. The file names are still there. I copied the missing files back from Skydrive. I am still working on where they went. All I did was Update from Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 through the download provided in the Microsoft Store, and afterwards, these items were missing, except for in Skydrive.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: installed Windows 8.1
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 17, 2013 6:45 AM PDT

- What was your old OS and where did that Windows 8,1 come from (download, DVD, Windows update)?
- Did you do a clean install or an upgrade install?
- Since the new OS makes you a new user, you most likely have a new Windows account, and those - of course - come with empty libraries. But maybe the old data is still on the hard disk, ready to be copied into your nice new Windows 8 profile? In that case, they still are exactly where they were, only your point of view changed. How's the disk space now? Did you search for your old files on the whole hard disk?

Kees

Collapse -
I backed them up in Skydrive.
by Oldthing17 / October 17, 2013 9:28 AM PDT

I did back them up in Skydrive. Since this post I have copied them back to "This PC". I just did not realize that Microsoft was doing away with Libraries in Windows 8.1. I am still trying to figure out why my items disappeared other than in Skydrive. I'm working on it. I upgraded from Windows 8 Pro and I used the update supplied in the Microsoft Store as directed.

Collapse -
Answer
Mine are still there
by wpgwpg / October 17, 2013 7:12 AM PDT

I just installed 8.1 Pro and my libraries are still there. You must've followed a different procedure from me. I can't be more specific unless you post the procedure you followed. I will say I have a WINDOWS.OLD folder the install saved, so if you haven't looked there, I suggest doing so. I will also agree with Bob & Kees that if you didn't back up your system before doing the upgrade, I hope you've learned why you should. That's the ounce of prevention. I hope you're not into the pound of cure.

Collapse -
I backed them up in Skydrive
by Oldthing17 / October 17, 2013 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine are still there

I did back them up in Skydrive. Since this post I have copied them back to "This PC". I just did not realize that Microsoft was doing away with Libraries in Windows 8.1. I am still trying to figure out why my items disappeared other than in Skydrive. I'm working on it. The file names are still there, yes but the old reference to Libraries is gone. I upgraded from Windows 8.0 Pro using the Download in the Microsoft Store as directed.

Collapse -
OK, now we're on the same page
by wpgwpg / October 17, 2013 10:39 AM PDT

I upgraded from the 8.1 Preview, but now I understand what you mean. The Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc. are still there, but they're not listed under the category "Libraries" because Libraries is no longer there. It took me about 75 min. from start to finish. It download about 4 GB, but fortunately I have a fast cable connection, and the download ran at 30 Mbps which helped a lot.
I don't know about you, but I've yet to see any of the "improvements" that do anything for me. Ever since I discovered Classic Shell though, I've been OK with Windows 8 because I almost never have to go to that buggy, silly full screen, Metro (aka Modern) mode. I sure hope they get a new CEO who knows what he's doing at MS.
I'm glad you didn't lose any data.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
My thoughts exactly
by Oldthing17 / October 18, 2013 7:15 AM PDT

I upgraded from 8.0 Pro through the store. It took over 2 hours. I don't see where the improvements are all that great either, especially for my uses. I used to use Classic Shell but I have been using Start 8 for quite awhile and will continue to. Windows 8 is still not for me. Good Luck and Best Wishes.

Collapse -
Re: libraries
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 17, 2013 9:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Very Good
by Oldthing17 / October 18, 2013 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: libraries

Thanks. The link you provided, as well as a link contained within it, are very informative and helpful.

Collapse -
I did the upgrade and I'm not
by orlbuckeye / October 18, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

sure if my libraries were affected but I did go to the Photo apps and I was able to view my photos. Libraries aren't actually where the photos are stored. Libraries were added to Windows 7 to be able to link multiple physical folders into a category. Example you can create a library called my picture and assign say folders called familypics and/or friendpics and if you search the library you can see all the photos in those 2 folders but they are actually stored in separate folders.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.