Windows 7

Question

Windows 7 won't properly restore

by chad3133 / November 28, 2012 8:23 AM PST

Well basically I am restoring my computer like I do every one and a while, but this time it started freaking out it is at the install page for Microsoft Office 2010 and the loading bar wouldn't load past 18/27. I left it here for like 10 hours so i know it's not working right. I also tried turning my computer off and back on again, but it just goes back to the same screen. However when I turn it back on I can hit F2 and F12 for the booting menus, but I couldn't find anything of help there. Oh and if I close my laptop and open it in switches users and I can't log back in to the only account says I don't have permission. I'm not sure what to do after that, it didn't come with a disk it's all in the computer.

I use a 64bit windows 7

Thanks for the help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 won't properly restore
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 won't properly restore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A few things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 9:23 AM PST

Restore media is created by us after we get the PC. Many folk opt out and that's the end of that. ORDER THE RESTORE MEDIA as any other solution is usually costly.

-> As to the account. Try SAFE MODE and the admin account there. And again, NEVER try to keep it down to one lone account. You are repeating a lesson about Windows. This lesson is sadly rarely taught but learned first hand. -> Always have a spare Admin account.

If SAFE MODE and that admin account needs a password, try pressing enter. If it need to be reset, try NTPASSWD (free, takes 5 minutes or less.)

Restoring a PC often is not a good sign. Those onboard restores can be corrupted by any number of viruses and one last idea. Unplug all USB things and try again.

Good luck.

Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 forum: Windows 7 won't properly restore
by chad3133 / November 29, 2012 1:59 AM PST
In reply to: A few things.

well it doesn't work in safe mode, it brings up and error and restarts the computer. I mean the biggest issue really is that when it does start up it goes to the install page and i can't use any part of the computer like i can't go to the control panel to redo the system restore. and another thing is that i can put a password on the account, so when i start up the computer the first time is takes the password just fine but if it logs me out again then it says it's disabled and i can't get back in. I could try to find another copy of windows 7 some where, but could i boot it from the boot menu (f2) when i start it up?

And it doesn't have anything in the USB ports or Ethernet ports

And i've used the on board system restore just fine in the past I'm not sure why it's freaking out now.

Collapse -
About restore. Got Norton, Kap? Other?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 2:13 AM PST

Many antivirus suites break System Restore (SR.) I can't guess what choice you made. Tell more please.

As to the password, we can reset the admin password in less than 5 minutes and again, it's called NTPASSWORD, free and with all the web content about it I must stop here. Why not fix that today?

As to the use of other Windows 7 media, it appears you want to explore and learn that lesson so why not do that while you wait for the restore media to arrive?

--> Let me be very clear. On board restore is not solid enough to count on it given the plethora of nasties out there. I guess there are folk that haven't read that yet.

And again, NTPASSWD is a 5 minute or less task. Something I carry with me on such calls. Yes, there are folk that need support and such so they can get that for a fee at http://www.lostpassword.com but I never had to use them. Others seem to as the pick a number menu system NTPASSWD uses is confusing to today's mouse and GUI crazed consumers.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 forum: Windows 7 won't properly restore
by chad3133 / November 29, 2012 3:00 AM PST

Well I use AVG and I never have a problem with it.

And i downloaded NTPASSWORD and put it on a USB, when i got to the part where it said "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administor" i hit reset password... under the password text box and all it said was "this disk is not a password reset disk.

I mean i can get into the account that isn't the issue, what im having problems with is there is a unrespondive program running, it's something where i would go to the task manager and hit end task. but i can't it wouldn't let me do anything inside the account because this one program was running.

Now what i would like to do is be able to have a hard copy of windows or system restore and use it in the boot menu. Do you think that would work? just to hard restart the computer again and put in on the right track?

Collapse -
That means you didn't boot up NTPASSWD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2012 5:57 AM PST

I think you need to choose to read how to make a bootable CD for this one. It's about a nickel to do that. Sure you can make a bootable USB but I find most folk fumble that one.

NTPASSWD is not run from Windows. It's a standalone everything on a CD just to do the reset and a little more.

Plenty of web pages on this one so I don't write about it's use much.

-> About the "hard copy" idea. I think someone at Microsoft with a team could create such a thing so yes that could work but how to talk them into making this for you is the big question. In other words, I doubt you'll see this happen.

For me, the admin reset with a boot to NTPASSWD is a 5 minute task. Then I can remove my NTPASSWD CD, reboot and head to safe mode to login to the admin account to try again.

--> ASK AVG if their "product protection" interferes with System Restore. I uninstalled AVG yesterday because of an issue with the Snipping Tool. Very odd. The nice thing is we have lots of choices today. Jump ship when it's called for?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Are you using Windows backup?
by wpgwpg / November 28, 2012 11:09 AM PST

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Three I'm familiar with and like are Norton Ghost (which I've been using for 8 years without the 1st problem), Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99 - you can download it from http://memeo.com . You can get Ghost for next to nothing (like I did) if you watch the sales.
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .
-
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $60 and a 1 TB one for around $70. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $15. It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps. Good luck

Collapse -
Answer
Window 7 Restore
by aahnagupta85 / November 29, 2012 3:11 PM PST

As from mine experience may be antivirus sometimes blocked restore.Also checked your system with antimalware bytes, as malware also responsible for this things, they affected window registry files result in restore problem.Lets try this time by turning off your antivirus, Hope it will be restored sucessfully.

Collapse -
So far, the NAMES of what blocked it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Window 7 Restore

Norton
Kapersky.

May be others but these two come up often.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.