Windows 7

Question

Windows 7 won't boot on new hard drive

by dumbo_dabulls23 / January 7, 2013 11:54 PM PST

My Old HDD crashed, it had windows 7 on a D: logical drive with an extended partition (Not sure why/how I ended up with a D: logical drive and an extended partition, it probably happened when I upgraded my windows xp to windows 7 32 bit OR when I upgraded my windows7 from 32 bit to 64 bit, anyways.....).
My old HDD also had two other primary partitions which probably had some system files etc,. I do not have a backup of these two primary partitions, however,
I do have a paragon backup of my logical drive D: extended partition alongwith a backup of first track (not sure what that means). My old drive is bad.
I got me a new HDD, created a new NTFS primary partition with a drive letter C:. I then restoed the paragon backup of my windows D: drive on to this new primary C: partition.
Now, I am not able to boot windows 7.
Seems like I need to make this new partition bootable and/or make it a system partition. Not sure how to do this.
Would very much appreciate any help... I dont want to install windows 7 from scratch and then load all the software programs.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 won't boot on new hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 won't boot on new hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
But how did you restore the boot areas?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 11:57 PM PST

Lookup EasyBCD and try that but your restore process looks flawed to me. You might be able to install the OS, get that working then restore the partition and if that didn't boot use EasyBCD again but I'd rethink your backup and restore plans as they look flawed.
Bob

Collapse -
I did not restore the boot areas. How do I do that?
by dumbo_dabulls23 / January 8, 2013 1:19 AM PST

I think my system partition and/or boot files were not on the logical D: drive which I took a backup of. And that is what I think is my problem. I dont think the backup is flawed. I did not get any errors when I backed up my D: drive and also did not get any errors when I used this back up to restore it onto C: drive.

Okay, how about if I do the following,

What if I format my primary partition C: with /S i.e. make it a system bootable partition, and then restore it with my backup? Will the restore wipe out the system information?

I will also look into EasyBcd to see if that can help fix my problem.

Collapse -
You'll have to try those ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 1:47 AM PST

With how BCD works I have yet to see the old Format /s to restore that boot. Are you using your DOS days to figure this out?
Bob

Collapse -
you r right, its not going to work..
by dumbo_dabulls23 / January 8, 2013 1:58 AM PST

I am off the wall here completely... You are right. Can't try those DOS commands to fix my problem.

I did some further reading and here is what I understand....

1. Win 7 64 bit has to be on an Extended partition, so what that means is I need to create an Extended partition and restore my D: drive backup onto it.

2. I need to create another primary system partition which will have the system/bootloader files on it.

Now, I can do # 1 above and can also do part of #2 i.e. create a primary partition, but how do I make it system partition with boot files on it so that it boots my Win 7 64 bit partition.

Please correct me if I am doing anything wrong here.

Thanks in advance....

Collapse -
one more thing...
by dumbo_dabulls23 / January 8, 2013 2:03 AM PST

Oh one more thing.. I forgot to mention...

When I took a back up of my old Windows D: logical drive using paragon HDD software, It actually created two backups.

One contained the backup of First Track.. ( not sure what it is?) Do you know if this contains my system partition files/info?

The second contained the actual Windows backup.

Collapse -
Back to Paragon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 2:14 AM PST
In reply to: one more thing...

Your issues are now their issues. If they claim this will restore a working system, they need to fix that.

The BCD, boot area does not appear to fit in the first track. I can see why someone would do that but the backup system looks flawed to me and I've supplied what I would try if there was any reason to try to recover this.

However there is no good reason so far. That is, the restore should let us get at any files we forgot to backup and then we could start over with a good OS install and make new plans for backups.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure abot new OS install?
by dumbo_dabulls23 / January 8, 2013 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Back to Paragon.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

If I go with the new OS install, I will have to re-install all the software and what about all my data files? Not sure if I want to loose all that, however, if all fails, it is the last resort I have....

I know my Paragon backups have restored a working system in the past. I tried it couple of times in the past when I had a bad virus on my system, and it completely restored, but then I was on XP 32 bit, and everything was on one primary partition C: drive. I did not have any other partitions.

That leads me to believe that I have a good backup of my Windows7 OS/Software Apps, and data, but do not have the system partition backup with booting info, that is what I think I need to create. Not sure how to?

As for the First Track backup that Paragon created, it seems to me that it contains partition table info for the entire drive. When I try to restore it, it wont let me select a partition to restore to rather it selects the entire drive to restore to....

So,

Lets say, Assuming my Windows OS backup is good but missing the system partition backup, Is there a way to create system partition with boot info?

Collapse -
About your last question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2013 3:59 AM PST

That's for Paragon to answer why it didn't work.

I offered what I would try but you've proven the system is not working. And since it's Paragon, it's their problem now.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.